LC 200 vs LX 570 current (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can't add sliders to the 570.

Here is my 15' LX with Slee sliders and a few other mods. Up next: roof rack, light bar(s), interior mods.

We all have our own opinion and I vacillated between the two for a long time. When it came down to it, there were more LX for sale vs LC, but fewer modded LX- thus, I went down that route. Is everything more exensive? To my knowledge thus far, the bumpers (Slee custom) were (and to be expected), but my 12k lb winch was same, as well as lighting and interior mods to the truck should be same. Wheels/tires etc all the same. There was some extra cost for the sliders, but I am ok paying that as they have already saved me a few times. We can call it vanity or just a prettier LC, but the AHC has proven tremendously robust for me. I have done a few very technical trails (Red) but majority of my wheeling is for elk scouting and make out spots (jk!) for stargazing. If I wanted to tackle the crazy technical/boulder size trails I prob would've gone with an older LC and lifted it with 40s, but that's just not the type of wheeling I do. I enjoyed seeing my truck in with the LC200s in Colorado this year and we all enjoyed the same trails (even with my 33s) vs the stock guys and ones with 35s, albeit I guess I stuck out like the red headed step child. This will be a timeless topic to pontificate over, but for my needs, the LX I have and have modded has done a stellar job offroad. I def feel more challenged/afraid before my rig does.

Hope you all are well and safe out there.

Chihuahua Gulch Flex.jpg

IMG_7018.JPG

Mosquito Pass II.JPG

North Fork Swan.JPG

That’s such a great looking LX. I have a 17 and don’t like the looks. My wife drives it. That 15 is awesome.

I know Christo did the ARB on his 2011, but is this the first to be done on the 2013-2015 front-end? Lots of plastic cutting? Fog lights reused?

Here is my 15' LX with Slee sliders and a few other mods. Up next: roof rack, light bar(s), interior mods.

We all have our own opinion and I vacillated between the two for a long time. When it came down to it, there were more LX for sale vs LC, but fewer modded LX- thus, I went down that route. Is everything more exensive? To my knowledge thus far, the bumpers (Slee custom) were (and to be expected), but my 12k lb winch was same, as well as lighting and interior mods to the truck should be same. Wheels/tires etc all the same. There was some extra cost for the sliders, but I am ok paying that as they have already saved me a few times. We can call it vanity or just a prettier LC, but the AHC has proven tremendously robust for me. I have done a few very technical trails (Red) but majority of my wheeling is for elk scouting and make out spots (jk!) for stargazing. If I wanted to tackle the crazy technical/boulder size trails I prob would've gone with an older LC and lifted it with 40s, but that's just not the type of wheeling I do. I enjoyed seeing my truck in with the LC200s in Colorado this year and we all enjoyed the same trails (even with my 33s) vs the stock guys and ones with 35s, albeit I guess I stuck out like the red headed step child. This will be a timeless topic to pontificate over, but for my needs, the LX I have and have modded has done a stellar job offroad. I def feel more challenged/afraid before my rig does.

View attachment 1546190

View attachment 1546191

View attachment 1546192

View attachment 1546193
and i thought i had a cool lx! that thing is beautiful!!!!

That’s such a great looking LX. I have a 17 and don’t like the looks. My wife drives it. That 15 is awesome.

Thank you- I put a lot of time and effort into different simulations/bumpers etc.

Thanks!

Bumpers cost you?

They were more expensive than the normal ARB front/rear bumper replacements. I can PM you costs if you'd like.

I know Christo did the ARB on his 2011, but is this the first to be done on the 2013-2015 front-end? Lots of plastic cutting? Fog lights reused?
I believe it's the 2nd or 3rd- I was also extremely happy with the platinum winch they installed albeit hope I never have to use it. I went with 33s vs 35s to avoid massive cutting. I didn't reuse the fogs- I got some aftermarket fogs that are quite a bit brighter.

and i thought i had a cool lx! that thing is beautiful!!!!

Much appreciated! Just wait til I get my roof rack and lighting added.

Nice looking rig. You ever take that bad boy to the dealership for a car wash? Wonder what the people there think? ;)

Nice looking rig. You ever take that bad boy to the dealership for a car wash? Wonder what the people there think? ;)

I need to do a better job of keeping it clean...prob is I'm wheeling every Thurs-Sun and get it all dirtied up haha.

Stevinson Lexus loves servicing/seeing it, but I dont let them wash it bc of the rear swing outs and hate the idea of a machine scrubbing it.

Been thinking of doing the GYEON Quartz coating.

View attachment 1546190

View attachment 1546191

View attachment 1546192

View attachment 1546193
So my parents and I have been planning their next adventure/wheeling truck. We’ve gone from a Ram 3500s with 4WC to Tacoma’s with a FlipPack and now may fall to a 200 series. I think it was my LC that made them go back to a land cruiser. I prefer my LC over an LX, but the more I think about it, the LX may be better for them.

They are buying a Patriot X1, so weight isn’t really in the truck, and it won’t be constant load on the truck, they will tow and then drop trailer regularly. They will run trails like everything that’s on the alpine loop and long distance wheeling trips with me and my family, but they won’t run Rubicon like trails that I do in my LC.

I would have BudBuilt make sliders and a hidden winch mount for it along with their skid plates.

But to make sure I’m seeing this right, the ACH is basically just an airbag in the coil? Or another way to ask is what can I replace with aftermarket parts, ie springs, shocks, front or rear or both?

But to make sure I’m seeing this right, the ACH is basically just an airbag in the coil? Or another way to ask is what can I replace with aftermarket parts, ie springs, shocks, front or rear or both?

It is a fully integrated system with hydraulic shocks augmenting coil springs for ride control (roll), ride quality (damping), and ride height. Unlike the LX 470 or GX, the system is not replaceable with conventional suspension components. That said, a number of users enjoy the factory AHC system as it's reportedly more robust than than the LX 470 was. However, talking with Slee this week they feel that it is not robust enough to handle trail demands with suspension bottoming out and fade being problematic. Their comparison was how much better a 200 LC with BP51's rode.

It is a fully integrated system with hydraulic shocks augmenting coil springs for ride control (roll), ride quality (damping), and ride height. Unlike the LX 470 or GX, the system is not replaceable with conventional suspension components. That said, a number of users enjoy the factory AHC system as it's reportedly more robust than than the LX 470 was. However, talking with Slee this week they feel that it is not robust enough to handle trail demands with suspension bottoming out and fade being problematic. Their comparison was how much better a 200 LC with BP51's rode.
Humm, and I have a 200 with BP51s and I agree that I’ve got mine dialed in so good that my rear end just takes hits and the body barely moves.

So on a LX570 I could switch front and rear springs for more weight if needed, but shocks are what they are?

The key to setting up AHC for significantly higher loads (ie armor), would be just like an LC - we need higher spring rate springs. I would bet a built LC like Slee's is well over GVWR.

Without springs, the hydraulic part of the AHC system bears much more load. With damping responsibilities and suspension traveling more than necessary due to relatively soft spring rates for the heavier load, I can certainly see it heating up.

But also understand that the AHC system has a ton of fluid (compared to even remote reservoir), so it has comparatively lots of heat capacity and heat disapation ability. So it breaking a sweat under these circumstances wouldn't be an accurate reflection of it under normal conditions.

The 100-series platform has uprated springs available from Australia. I don't think the 200-series has AHC in that market. Hope some manufacture in the US steps up, perhaps Sleep.

In the mean time, we have a couple options like spring spacers to increase spring preload, or airbags. AHC can be made to perform with corresponding mods. Just like you would tailor a normal LC suspension, as it would equally not suffice over GVWR.

Last edited:
The key to setting up AHC for significantly higher loads (ie armor), would be just like an LC - we need higher spring rate springs. I would bet a built LC like Slee's is well over GVWR.

Without springs, the hydraulic part of the AHC system bears much more load. With damping responsibilities and suspension traveling more than necessary due to relatively soft spring rates for the heavier load, I can certainly see it heating up.

But also understand that the AHC system has a ton of fluid (compared to even remote reservoir), so it has comparatively lots of heat capacity and heat disapation ability. So it breaking a sweat under these circumstances wouldn't be an accurate reflection of it under normal conditions.

The 100-series platform has uprated springs available from Australia. I don't think the 200-series has AHC in that market. Hope some manufacture in the US steps up, perhaps Sleep.

In the mean time, we have a couple options like spring spacers to increase spring preload, or airbags. AHC can be made to perform with corresponding mods. Just like you would tailor a normal LC suspension, as it would equally not suffice over GVWR.
Not to play devils advocate or anything, just need to know what I'm getting into. Is there anyway to increase compression of dampening on ACH? I have 2723s in my LC now, but that is only half the issue, if I was stuck with stock shock valving, it would suck. Does the ACH have a way to control the heavy weight bouncing up and down? Or is the best that is possible a spring to at least hold the height up, but no additional way to control it?

Not to play devils advocate or anything, just need to know what I'm getting into. Is there anyway to increase compression of dampening on ACH? I have 2723s in my LC now, but that is only half the issue, if I was stuck with stock shock valving, it would suck. Does the ACH have a way to control the heavy weight bouncing up and down? Or is the best that is possible a spring to at least hold the height up, but no additional way to control it?

Great question. AHC dampening is active. Meaning it has a broad spectrum of valving under its control. It will automatically increase compression dampening as necessary. With manual adjustable 3-position control to tell it how aggressive you would like the dampening to be.

Issue with overly heavy loads is 2 fold. With relatively lower spring rate, shock velocity increases and AHC automatically compensates with additional dampening. But the AHC system is also bearing more of the weight, again adding to its work. Hence fluid potentially overheating the heaviest of conditions.

By putting in more spring (rate) in the system, lets AHC work in it's designed capacity again. Mind you, I'd bet within GVWR, it'll likely perform very well. Expecting it to perform well outside of its design envelop without any augmentation is... The fact that it does, except the most extreme circumstances, is the very definition of robust in my mind.

Great question. AHC dampening is active. Meaning it has a broad spectrum of valving under its control. It will automatically increase compression dampening as necessary. With manual adjustable 3-position control to tell it how aggressive you would like the dampening to be.

Issue with overly heavy loads is 2 fold. With relatively lower spring rate, shock velocity increases and AHC automatically compensates with additional dampening. But the AHC system is also bearing more of the weight, again adding to its work. Hence fluid potentially overheating the heaviest of conditions.

By putting in more spring (rate) in the system, lets AHC work in it's designed capacity again. Mind you, I'd bet within GVWR, it'll likely perform very well. Expecting it to perform well outside of its design envelop without any augmentation is... The fact that it does, except the most extreme circumstances, is the very definition of robust in my mind.
Have you done that to yours to help with weight? if so what springs are you running?

Yes, I have. Taking the learning and strategies that I used on my 100-series.

I added 10mm spring spacers to the rear axle - LX570 Augmenting for Load

This was in preparation for my recent 2300 mile trip towing my 27' travel trailer, which has tongue weight in the vicinity of 1000lbs. My immediate family and parents (6 people), with some luggage and cooler in the vehicle. So approximately 1800lbs (400lb above stickered capacity).

Not one issue during the trip, with AHC performing splendidly, handling the load, and providing a nice ride. I could soften it up for the highway stretches, and turn damping up in the mountain roads of Oregon. Upon entering driveways and gas stations, I'd put AHC in high such that it would relax the weight distribution bars to articulate.

This isn't the workout that I'd expect over washboards, but the strategies to augment the suspension for over GVWR would be the same.

Yes, I have. Taking the learning and strategies that I used on my 100-series.

I added 10mm spring spacers to the rear axle - LX570 Augmenting for Load

This was in preparation for my recent 2300 mile trip towing my 27' travel trailer, which has tongue weight in the vicinity of 1000lbs. My immediate family and parents (6 people), with some luggage and cooler in the vehicle. So approximately 1800lbs (400lb above stickered capacity).

Not one issue during the trip, with AHC performing splendidly, handling the load, and providing a nice ride. I could soften it up for the highway stretches, and turn damping up in the mountain roads of Oregon. Upon entering driveways and gas stations, I'd put AHC in high such that it would relax the weight distribution bars to articulate.

This isn't the workout that I'd expect over washboards, but the strategies to augment the suspension for over GVWR would be the same.
Cool, now next question, the front what can you do to help hold up 250 lbs of bumper, winch, skid plates, and batteries?

I'd imagine the same thing can be done for the front, if a compatible spring spacer could be identified. They're generic enough that it wouldn't be too hard to find one with some basic coil diameter measurements. The front being coil over shock, or should I say coil over hydraulic ram, would be a bit more involved to install a spacer compared to the rear.

A more interesting solution would be to find the AHC springs from a foreign diesel spec Land Cruiser - Transafrica with a Land Cruiser 200 (Diesel) - Expedition Portal

There's more exotic AHC configurations still, as what do you do with a diesel AHC beast once you add overland armor to that... Solution: AHC dampers and "violet springs" for an armored spec LC, capable of handling 5.1 tons - Transafrica with a Land Cruiser 200 (Diesel) - Page 10 - Expedition Portal

I'd imagine the same thing can be done for the front, if a compatible spring spacer could be identified. They're generic enough that it wouldn't be too hard to find one with some basic coil diameter measurements. The front being coil over shock, or should I say coil over hydraulic ram, would be a bit more involved to install a spacer compared to the rear.

A more interesting solution would be to find the AHC springs from a foreign diesel spec Land Cruiser - Transafrica with a Land Cruiser 200 (Diesel) - Expedition Portal

There's more exotic AHC configurations still, as what do you do with a diesel AHC beast once you add overland armor to that... Solution: AHC dampers and "violet springs" for an armored spec LC, capable of handling 5.1 tons - Transafrica with a Land Cruiser 200 (Diesel) - Page 10 - Expedition Portal
Humm, good stuff, definitely options. At Overland Expo East last week, there was a camper 200 with ACH and a diesel that traveled all over the Middle East and Asia. Although it did have a blow turbo, the ACH did apparently well. Side note, the driver wrote a book called the “peaceful Afghanistan.” I don’t remember it being very peaceful, so your visit may vary, but none the less, that was got me thinking about ACH for the next truck I build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom