LC 200 vs LX 570 current (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been digging on the forum for any good info on LC 200 vs LX570 and came up with hardly anything. I'd like there to be a comprehensive thread where some mechanical folks like Bjowett help inform from a perspective of similar modifications and pros/cons.

Things like, "it costs more" are not helpful as that is quite obvious.

Some modifications the LC allows will work and others will be difficult. For example, the running boards are more integrated such that removal leaves an unfinished look to the lower sill. This is fixable but an issue.

I don't really want to sport a big "L" out in the world but regardless, a few things that appeal to me on the LX are:

1-quieter inside ? - if actually true and if not something easily augmented on the LC by using the appropriate materials found in the industry for sound damping.

2-higher quality leather? If it's thicker or more durable, not just visual aesthetic of the dye lasting longer.

3-the ride is more compliant due to the dampers, but I'd like to know more about the reliability of the dampers

4-reliability of the cool X-AHC system. Unlike my air suspension, it looks like total failure, say due to computer problem, would only result in annoyance, not being fairly stuck off road or riding bump stops on road. A real reason this is an issue on a Land Rover is that if running a tire larger than stock, the tire will stuff so tight that you will not even be able to roll on flat ground let alone get off a trail.

5-why is towing rating so much lower? The frame looks identical as does the solid rear axle.

6-regarding the steel coil springs, I do wonder if they have to be "lighter" to allow the X-AHC system push them around. (not having a LC and LX side by side I'm not sure but the LX springs do look thinner) There are a few implications here, possibly the lower tow rating but also loading capacity.

7-how the heck does the vehicle raise/lower? The dampers are charged to be softer or stiffer (sport, normal, comfort) but that's not usually a lifting mechanism so I'm not seeing how the lift/lower works yet, and therefor any implications should that system fail.

8-I wish either vehicle could be ordered without the DVD junk as both are in the way of using the vehicle as I do. The LC more so with it in the ceiling and ripping it out would leave an ugly patch while removing the LX headrest versions would leave the seat back a little odd.

9-I like the idea of an awesome sound system while not paying Bang & Olufsen pricing. (Audi S8 has 19 speakers and 1400 watts)

10-the main reason for the LX is the suspension, which oddly may be the main reason against it for some people. I like cruising 3000 miles lower, more aero, more stable, etc, etc. then having the ability to lift higher when needed. Even running bigger tires will work lower while on the highway because it's essentially flatter and reigned in. Then when needed on a rugged road or light trail, you lift up to allow for more tire movement. Seems ideal doesn't it?

It would be interesting to compare bottom of frame/rear diff on the LC vs LX both at factory settings highway height, then AHC lifted vs the usual OME medium or HD spring lift. Accounting for tire size, etc.

with regards to the mechanicals the lx and lc in the usa are exact except for the suspension (AHC); in europe it is an option on the Land cruiser. The interior and cosmetic outside is the only real difference. I like the lx interior better more softer covering etc. I really don't like the plastic stuff on the Land cruiser; I actually think they would sell more of them if it had a better interior; but that might eat into Lexus sales. Curious to find out if the Sahara model in Australia has a better interior; when I lived there several years ago I had a 100 series which had the LX type interior on a Land Cruiser.

Also, as you increase the height of the AHC system, the weight ratings go down.

I.e you cannot tow as much in the high setting

For interior noise Id highly recommend Dynamat. I have dynamatted every car I have had since I had a die hard rice rocket girlfriend in college. Floor,roof, door, quarter panels, hood, trunk, everything that can vibrate or rattle gets done. It makes a huge difference in road noise and ride quality. I was sold when I shut the door of her 92 honda civic and it sounded like a Benz. I do it for piece and quiet on the inside. As a bonus my audio system is awesome too.

For interior noise Id highly recommend Dynamat. I have dynamatted every car I have had since I had a die hard rice rocket girlfriend in college. Floor,roof, door, quarter panels, hood, trunk, everything that can vibrate or rattle gets done. It makes a huge difference in road noise and ride quality. I was sold when I shut the door of her 92 honda civic and it sounded like a Benz. I do it for piece and quiet on the inside. As a bonus my audio system is awesome too.

i second that :cheers:, i've used dynamat on my previous MB G55's and my Jeep Wrangler, works great!!!

For interior noise Id highly recommend Dynamat.

Good thinking. Obviously you mean to not let the cabin sound be too much a deciding factor if a person is willing to install the material on a Land Cruiser.

Also, as you increase the height of the AHC system, the weight ratings go down.

I.e you cannot tow as much in the high setting

Well, that makes sense but the speed sensor would supersede that issue by lowering the vehicle before you hit 30mph anyway. (I don't know the exact speed, but it's around 29-30mph auto drop from high to low on my LR3)

Not much towing would occur under the speed limit for high height setting.

What I am curious about is which system (air springs vs hydraulic fluid in the dampers) is more robust for weight loading regardless of it being cargo or trailer tongue weight.

The LC is the obvious "easy to supplement" design as you simply replace the rear springs with HD versions if you plan to tow all the time and/or build the vehicle heavy. However, when unloaded, it would be a stiffer ride. If the LX dampers are up to the task, it seems like a great system.

A heavily weighted LX though, if the AHC system were to fail, would really sag down onto the lighter springs. I say lighter because they look lighter than the LC but maybe not. They are clearly thinner steel than the OME though.

I would like these questions to be answered as well.. One thing I will say is that I am glad I dont have that "L" badge. Stealth Luxury.

I'm currently looking at a 2011 Land Cruiser and a 2011 LX570 and curious which one did you go with?

The LX570 is honestly better looking interior and rear end, but I like the LC front end more.

Does the LX570 come with HID headlights vs. LC not?

The difference in price is $7000. Is the LX worth $7000 more?

I agree that the LX has more makeup on.... Very nice looking...

But, that L on the badge makes parts and service much more $$$ than the Toyota brand LC

Honestly, it's not that hard of a question. If you are a mall cruiser and want to take the rig to say Whistler for an extended weekend of revelry and skiing... then the Lexus is your ride.

However, if you want to throw on a winch, rear swing outs, a roof rack, winch and bomb proof suspension, buy a LC. I can't imagine the pain you would go through modding a Lexus... gads it was bad enough on the 200.

Last edited:
I honestly hadn't thought about the maintenance being higher but I'm sure you are right. Never owned a Lexus before, but have owned a couple of BMWs with that problem.

And unfortunately I won't be heading to Moab anytime soon.

...via IH8MUD app

I honestly hadn't thought about the maintenance being higher but I'm sure you are right. Never owned a Lexus before, but have owned a couple of BMWs with that problem.

And unfortunately I won't be heading to Moab anytime soon.

...via IH8MUD app

FYI the toyota dealership in my town will service a LX570 at landcruiser prices. I'm looking at a certified LX570 out of my area, it looks like most of its service work was done at a toyota dealership as well.

Yeah, several dealerships will do that if You don't have a Lexus dealer anywhere within a certain proximity

I've owned both Land Cruisers and Lexus LX 570. Haven't noticed any big difference between service at Toyota or Lexus price wise but customer experience wise - absolutely. That is why I went with the LX when it came time to replace my LC. Lexus dealers beat Toyota dealers on customer experience in every way possible.

Last edited:
In the case of Toyota the LC is really the only high end model that they offer. In the Lexus dealerships every model including the RX is a high end model as compared to the Toyota equivalent built on the same or similar chassis. Its a similar situation with Nissan/Infiniti. With Lexus and Infiniti you get a better experience when you buy and when you come in for service, free loaners, car washes etc. The employees are better trained. The sales price is higher partly because of that but the cost to provide that customer experience is far less than the benefits reaped in price, loyalty and referrals. Combined with the impact of internet shopping in the last few years I think your going to see rapid changes at the Toyota dealers to be more competitive when it comes to customer experience.

Honestly, it's not that hard of a question. If you are a mall cruiser and want to take the rig to say Whistler for an extended weekend of revelry and skiing... then the Lexus is your ride. Not knocking a little high brow "overlanding" (I have a 13' 911 C4S with a pad in Whistler lol).

However, if you want to throw on a winch, rear swing outs, a roof rack, winch and bomb proof suspension, buy a LC. I can't imagine the pain you would go through modding a Lexus... gads it was bad enough on the 200. Seriously, not that hard of a decision.

Like the guy with the 85k LC is any more likely than had he purchased an LX? And considering the ROW LC offers AHC (just like with the 100), I will again say AHC is often unjustly maligned here solely due to it being a "Lexus" option. I just do not get this whole idea of one or the other being somehow more macho, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom