BTBT: Brown Thunder Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Well, I suppose it's about time to start a build thread. Now that it's mostly built. :) Nick (2000UZJ) shamed me into it.

It all started back in 2010. I had a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder that Mrs. OregonLC and I were having fun with exploring some local hills and power line roads near my folk's beach house. Some of the trails were a little more challenging than the little Pathfinder could handle and without much aftermarket support I began looking for a more robust trail companion.

There was really no urgency to my search so it was really more about finding the right truck than finding a super deal or something quick. I see a lot of LC/LX's daily, but there's a surprisingly small volume of turnover in the Portland or even Seattle area. At the time I was commuting to PHX weekly for work and therefore expanded my search to the entire left coast. I found a great private party 2000 from an absolutely great owner in Orange County. 76k on the clock, great color, and great maintenance. Zero rust. Price was right and the deal was made sight-unseen, although payment was conditional upon final inspection which was easy to do on my commute home.

Here she is in her native state and virgin attire. And not a hint of rust, or even evidence of trail wear.

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

The build has come (and continues to come) slowly. I'm a pay-it-with-cash kinda guy and there have been two kids, one new house, and two homes remodeled/sold along with a job change since the LC came to live with us so at times the faucet has run dry.

The first priority was tires. I went with Nitto Terra Grapplers in a 295/70R18. I wanted a good all-around AT and of large diameter. Had I to do it again, I would have gone MT, but at the time I was expecting it to be a more multi purpose vehicle rather than a dedicated expo rig.

34.5" NTG's sans lift:

picture.php

Then came the lift. OME t-bars, OME 866 coils, and Slee diff-drop:

IMG00267-20101117-2142.jpg

IMG00293-20101224-1501.jpg

And then came DT headers.

IMG_2152.jpg

And, like most new LC drivers, I thought I was bad ass playing on little hills.

IMG_2204.jpg

But, hey, Mrs. OLC and the dog liked it. LC life before kids... so much free time.

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

Then not much came in the way of mods until after my first was born. Broke him right in on the trails, he was five weeks old here. This would have been late spring of 2011.

IMG_2700_zps72d24a1d.jpg

Then in late summer, MetalTech had a sale on their new sliders for the 100 series and I had the pleasure of getting to know Mark and LT. Great company, great products.

IMG_3287_zps00a1c1df.jpg

IMG_3296.jpg

And I figured out the art of camping in the back of the LC, diagonal style, head uphill, dog in the corner.

IMG_3382-2_zps928f04b0.jpg

Absolutely epic campsite.

IMG_3377-1_zps4aad9345.jpg

Looks great!
I'm a big fan of 1 mod at a time. It's the best way to truly know what each mod does for you and if it was worth what was spent. Both in time and money. I'd like some info on the leopard skin diaper bag :D

Then not much came in the way of mods until after my first was born. Broke him right in on the trails, he was five weeks old here. This would have been late spring of 2011.

Then in late summer, MetalTech had a sale on their new sliders for the 100 series and I had the pleasure of getting to know Mark and LT. Great company, great products.

And I figured out the art of camping in the back of the LC, diagonal style, head uphill, dog in the corner.

Absolutely epic campsite.

Best feature of the truck is the built in changing table. Did Joshua Tree with my son at 5 weeks old and Anza Borrego with my daughter at 7 weeks old. Nice clean build so far.

Best feature of the truck is the built in changing table. Did Joshua Tree with my son at 5 weeks old and Anza Borrego with my daughter at 7 weeks old. Nice clean build so far.

Put my wife in a newer Sequoia and she still gripes about the lack of a tailgate. The split tailgate/hatch is perfect for me.

God Desert Bronze Metallic looks good. :smokin:

Looks great!
I'm a big fan of 1 mod at a time. It's the best way to truly know what each mod does for you and if it was worth what was spent. Both in time and money. I'd like some info on the leopard skin diaper bag :D

Agreed!!!

I would wager that my son is in an elite club here: he started off day zero in this truck. And I don't mean he was born in it, if you're pickin' up what I'm puttin' down.

The name, Brown Thunder, with this talk about the changing table cracks me up.

That may the two best back to back posts in mud history! :rimshot:

Looks great. Love that color also.

Subscribed - Brown Thunder is the "stuff" of legends.

Oh - and I miss OR so have to live vicariously through someone up there w/ a 100.

Tigard transplant.

Subscribed - Brown Thunder is the "stuff" of legends.

Oh - and I miss OR so have to live vicariously through someone up there w/ a 100.

Tigard transplant.

Thanks man! Where are you now?

Pretty close. You should come hang out with us sometime: www.cascadecruisers.com We are getting together for a Meet & Greet on Thursday @ Gustav's in Portland. 7pm if you can make it.:cheers:

I'd love to if it wasn't Thursday nights. I have a group run with the same guys for years on that night.

Build thread wouldn't be complete without including a picture of 'Space Eagle', the CB handle of one of my close friend's tricked out 92 Loyale. These two vehicles have spent a lot of trail time together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom