Just purchased my first 100 series cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New member and first post here !!
This is my new to me 100 Series Land
Cruiser in Natural White with stone interior.

256k miles

It has had Routine interval maintence at a single Toyota dealer its whole life . Barely driven , less than 12k miles a year.

I bought this car as a reliable family rig that I can also get into the backcountry with and explore. I’m very excited to start the journey into making this vehicle as stout as can be.

IMG_0496.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

Great find, and welcome to the forum.
thank you! first up is new tires as the (ones on are dry rotted) timing belt and water pump kit. also need to go over some other quirks as it Is an older vehicle. but the v8 runs strong and trans shifts smooth as butter. even the cruise control works amazingly. drove it 3 hours home after purchase no issues

Ah it's a southern cruiser, take those fender flares off asap, they will just keep digging into the paint more and more. I have a few spots where they rubbed all the way down to the base metal. Doesn't bother me bc I have plenty of other scratches and s*** from the trails but those fender flares were an abomination put on by the southern importers, they never should have been put on there.

Looks great, lucky for you, Land Cruisers are pretty stout from the factory. Nice find. Welcome and congrats.

Ah it's a southern cruiser, take those fender flares off asap, they will just keep digging into the paint more and more. I have a few spots where they rubbed all the way down to the base metal. Doesn't bother me bc I have plenty of other scratches and s*** from the trails but those fender flares were an abomination put on by the southern importers, they never should have been put on there.
yeah I agree they are ugly , and definitely on the list to be removed as well as the ugly wood trim plastic bs add on

Good find, nice looking truck !

ahh yes the journey begins… it’s apparent that even with a good service records things get overlooked and or mismanaged when caring for these beautiful machines. Which brings me to my first example:

Decided to address spark plugs today to have a look guessing they probably only changed maybe one time in the 256k miles prior to me owning this vehicle.

Upon removing passenger side ignition coils it became apparent that some things were overlooked..

The worst were 4,6, and 8 with 8 being the baddest of the bunch. All the coil packs were cracked or have hairline cracks 2 was the best looking one with no cracks or oil.

The spark plug and coil in the photos are from #8.

The valve cover gasket was replaced at 220k miles so roughly 35k prior to my purchase but the note is vague as it states “valve cover gasket(s) replaced.” I’m thinking they didn’t replace the spark plug seals in the valve cover. Or if they didn’t touch that side at all.

Im thinking my plan of attack will be to address the coil packs and do the passenger valve cover gasket so I can be sure all seals are replaced !!

I’m just unsure of which route I will go at the moment and could use some other opinions . Cheers 🍻

IMG_0559.png

IMG_0558.png

IMG_0557.png

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0551.jpeg

Looks like tube seals and gaskets are in your future.
Yesterday I replaced the plugs and original coils on my 237k mile Tundra, all 8 coils were cracked. I believe 200-250k is what you can expect to get out of them. I purchased OEM Denso parts from Rock Auto, much less expensive than from the dealer.

Looks like tube seals and gaskets are in your future.
Yesterday I replaced the plugs and original coils on my 237k mile Tundra, all 8 coils were cracked. I believe 200-250k is what you can expect to get out of them. I purchased OEM Denso parts from Rock Auto, much less expensive than from the dealer.
Thanks for the lead on rock auto ! They are actually the cheapest I’ve seen online going to order a pack today just going to assume the other 4 are shot as well. the dealer price is ridiculous..

Any updates ?

So far dropped in new Ignition coils and spark plugs all ( 8 ) greased drive shaft front to back and have put a set of 33 in tires with some 16in painted rims ( got them dirt cheap from a buddy) water pump / timing belt/ valve cover gaskets up next . Then will start addressing all bushings and ball joints as needed ! I’ll drop some pics below.

Need to do full interior detail / shampoo and remove the wood trim.

Keep it stock but put a bull bar on the front

Ya, another LC with a "damage multiplier" on it if you hit something is always a good idea. j/k

But seriously, it depends on where you live and drive. Hitting an animal at speed is no fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom