first time 100 series buyer question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok.. I have been searching for a good 100 series for about a year now. Admittedly Half-heartedly, but I am starting to really hunker down to find one. In that time I think I have researched everything and made lists of what to look for and a list of what I will need to be done to baseline and get vehicle to the best state it can be. I have found two that intregue me, but I thought it best to get the forum's opinion on them. Trying to see if I am making the right choice to either keep looking or jump on one.

One: Interior has been redone and the timing belt, heater T's, and a long list of other maintenance has been done. The issue I have with this one is there is a rust spot on the underside of the rear hatch window on the passenger side. In my mind this is the tip of the iceberg and most likely more issues under weather stripping and window channel. There is also a bubble under paint on the drivers side fender under the A-pillar (this is from a potential clogged drain correct?) I actually walked away from this one, but can't get it out of my head.

Two: Low-ish miles. Asked about timing belt and he has the parts but said his mechanic said it didn't need to be changed at this time. In my mind I would think if you can look at it enough to tell that you are in enough to just go ahead and replace. The parts are there though and can change right away so not a huge deal and can baseline the rest. The real issue is it was hit in a parking lot and has a salvage title. I would have to fix and get a rebuilt title. I just wonder how much this will hurt if I have go to sell. The only damage is a rear bumper needs replaced and a passenger side taillight. Other wise its good. He is only asking $8k so makes me think maybe this could be a good one.

I know there are a lot of other variables to each of these and I have been reading this forum gaining valuable knowledge as far as the engine, drivetrain, suspenion, etc. Just wanted an outside opionion on what you guys think. In a perfect world I would find one from an enthusiast and rest easy. Very hard to do, it seems, in VA. Thank you for your help!

You are looking at the two things most folks are leery of around here: Rust and a salvage title. Both options will make a future sale very difficult.

One: How does the chassis look? A well maintained, rusty, 100 makes for a great daily driver and trail rig as long as the frame isn't compromised and the fasteners are not seized in place. I generally wouldn't trust that a timing belt has been done [correctly] without a receipt for the parts used. For example, a Gates brand timing belt kit is garbage versus an Aisin kit.

Two: A clean cruiser is a clean cruiser. Rebuilt titles scare away a lot of folks, but I have owned a j**p with a rebuilt title for 20 years and it has been great. I really enjoyed the discounted purchase price. With 20 years on the rebuilt title, today I could probably sell it for what other similar models are going for.

In either case you will need to do a thorough baseline so you know what has been done. A true opinion about these particular 100s is difficult to provide without pictures.

+1 for option 3, keep looking.
What’s your ultimate goal for it and are you willing to travel for the right one?

And photos help a lot
This was my initial thought too. I wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable or dumb. I tend to be very cautious when looking for a vehicle and sometimes I walk away and just didn't wan tot miss something being overly cautious. Looks like I had the correct feelings. The rust one I walked around to back to feel under hatch for rust spot saw rust and walked away.

I would travel if needed. Want one without Navigation.. both tick that box. The one with rust spots is the one I wanted initially. I am fine with doing mechanical stuff and look forward to it. Body work not so much, especially if its repairing metal areas. I am fine with replacing things like bumpers, etc. My ultimate goal with this is to build out a reliable vehicle that I can take on mild overlanding trips, tow a camper at times, but mainly to enjoy it. I want to do a small lift but keep the whole build pretty low key. I say resto-mod loosely here but essentially that is my goal. Want it to look good and be able to perform reliably so my son and I can have memories together in it.

Here are some pics. I did not take any pictures when I saw the one with rust. The rust seemed worse on the window that in does in this picture (can see it on right hand side of window). There is also a bubbled area about 1" x 2" on front fender under paint. Its in the middle of the fender.

Second/third one is the one with the salvaged title.

2825091-9-revo.jpg

unnamed.png

That little rust wouldn't scare me away. Look closely at the frame, particularly the areas where you need to remove bolts/nuts (shocks, etc.) You can peel up the window seal rubber and look under it for rust that isn't apparent on the paint.

I'd probably start in the local clubhouse and ask there for any sale items, first. Also, check with Iron Pig in Fredricksburg and Otramm in Bealeton. They work on landcruisers and might know of someone selling.

if you plan on keeping the truck for a while and it sounds like you do, i wouldnt worry too much about the salvage title. it dosnt look like theres is much if any body damage, i would just check behind the bumper to see if the cross member got bent or twisted. replacing thge bumper cover is not a big deal and if your planning on doing a rear bumper anyways its a mute point.

as for the rusty one thats not bad on the rear hatch, its still easily repairable how it is. if your not sure on the body work you can always try to find a rust free hatch and swap it.

with both check the frame and other areas for rust and bring someone with you as a fresh set of eyes. they may see problems that your willing to over look or compromise on, nothing wrong with having a second opinion

Yeah if you do plan on keeping and the damage on the salvage title is as minimal as it looks there it may be a very good rig to get going with and with hold old 100s are now its not like there would be a lot of additional depreciation the truck could do at this point.
Unfortunately the 100 is at the point where any damage at all and most insurance companies want to go ahead and call it a loss.

I do plan on keeping for a very long time. Selling is probably a mute point. I do however love the idea of having something that will potentially gain value or that if something happened I could sell somewhat easily.

yeah the rear hatch is worse now than in that picture had a pinky sized hole in it. and the bubble on fender looks like it could come through any minute.

The salvage one does seem good, but very sketchy on maintenance records and what has been done to it.

Actually just found one that looks great has 287k on it. BUT has had radiator and hoses, timing belt, water pump, steering rack, front rotors and pads, new shocks, sway bar bushings all replaced recently. Have to varify with reciepts. Said all OEM Toyota parts used.. also would have to varify. No reason to be worried about mileage if those things had been performed and mechanically seems fine correct?

I would say keep on looking then. There are still some good ones out there and seems like as of late the market has somewhat become a bit more reasonable, especially if you widen that net. Good luck with the hunt and try to be patient, may take some time, I took about 4 months (and multiple missed opportunities) before i was able to find the right one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom