Just picked up my first 40 - Couple of questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up a '74 40 series - my first - It is a bit of a basket case but since I retired I have the spare time to rebuild her. (Pics in next post) First on the list is rebuilding the tub.

First questions for the group....

I'm missing the Top and cab sides - there is a set in the classifieds, but they are for a 79 - will they work on a 74?

Included with the baskets of parts is a rear hatch - is that part of the 74? or is it for a different year?

Thanks

1704666568918.png

1704666603578.png

1704666636115.png

Last edited:
So the hatch (see pic) was standard in 74- does the hatch go with a split tailgate like it came with?

1704667467701.jpeg

So is it possible to adapt my '74 liftgate/hatch to a '79 top and cab sides?

Is the opening size physically different? If not it would seem to be a simple matter to add the proper support for the liftgate hinges and weld up the holes for the ambulance door hinges? (since I don't have the 79 top and sides available to look at)

the amby doors look great, but I can imagine the leaks and flex they would add.

I was planning on using the hatch, and I have ordered a bolt-on tailgate which should strengthen the body structure (especially while I'm cutting out and replacing floors, wheel wells, and quarters...

Anyone got a spare roof and cab sides for a 74 they want to part with ? ideally within a 5 hour drive of WV....

Can I make the '74 hatch work with a '79 Roof?

Appreciate any advice you can offer.

I have the hinges. Any way to get some interior pics of the header that supports the rear liftgate/ hatch? Can’t be too difficult to fabricate one….

The hatch (vs amby door) header shouldn't be that hard to find... I have at least a couple extra, in varying condition, that I would sell.

Ambulance door hard top sides work with a hatch. Need the hatch header with the hinges. Need to add a couple holes for the sticker for the hatch. Plus a couple for the struts.

Best picture I could find of my 73.
0027.JPG

Cruiser is a factory soft top. Top is from an early 78 with ambulance doors. Hatch and header are off a 68. Guessing picture is from 2005. I was using the top to keep the inside protected.

If you plan on running a hard top would be sure to repair the tub correctly. Especially the rear sill. That strap across the back is holding the wheel wells from sagging down on the outside.
1704667467701.jpeg

Having a couple of early 1960s hard top models barn door latch is only thing from preventing the wheel wells from sagging more. Floor and wheel wells are in great shape. Rear sill is the problem. Design is great for strength except it allows moisture to get trapped between the layers causing rust.

Ambulance door hard top sides work with a hatch. Need the hatch header with the hinges. Need to add a couple holes for the sticker for the hatch. Plus a couple for the struts.

perfect - thanks for the confirmation - heading on a road-trip this week to pick up a top and sides.

as you noticed, the rear sill has completely collapsed on my project - thankfully many of the parts for the rebuild were included with the cruiser - rear floor and sill, body mounts, new quarters, front fenders, etc. I have wheel wells and mid floor & support on the way.

Thankfully I have all winter to put it all together

I started with a 74 with zero sill and near junk tub so I know what you’re in for. It can be done, just lots of checking, squaring, tweaking and fitting before welding. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

my plan (if it makes sense) is to rebuild the rear of the tub while sitting on the frame. The frame has been cleaned and painted already by the prior owner who lost interest in the project.

everything is pretty good forward of the mid floor - I'll install new body mounts under the front half of the tub, then take out the floors and mount the floor supports and sill to the frame with new mounts - get the floors squared up, then move onto the quarter panels and wheel wells. assuming the frame is straight, I hope it will keep everything square and level

Last edited:
I have the hinges. Any way to get some interior pics of the header that supports the rear liftgate/ hatch? Can’t be too difficult to fabricate one….

Trust me your better off buying a used one even if it needs some repairs. The hinge part is actually mounted inside the boxed section. There are also two corner braces required to stiffen the assembly.

Trust me your better off buying a used one even if it needs some repairs. The hinge part is actually mounted inside the boxed section. There are also two corner braces required to stiffen the assembly.

I agree - I finally found photos of one - A bit too much to fabricate

So now the real work starts. I spent the last few weeks priming all the body panels and measuring /figuring out how everything goes together. Time to start cutting out the old…

IMG_3825.jpeg

IMG_3824.jpeg

IMG_3826.jpeg

IMG_3827.jpeg

Making good progress on the bed. Also picked up a pair of 76 axels that had been rehabbed and have disks brakes ready to go

IMG_3862.jpeg

IMG_3866.jpeg

IMG_3872.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom