Just heard Richland Rd is shut down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was there on Sunday. Nothing new then, there was a sheriff sitting by the bridge

I was there on Sunday. Nothing new then, there was a sheriff sitting by the bridge
Next time you go hit me up.

Next time you go hit me up.
Will do, if there is a next time.
We just decided at about 930 sat night. We did find some pretty cool spots on the other side of 321, was thinking maybe a good camping trip some weekend

Did you run it on Sunday? Just curious if the sheriff was preventing people from using it?

Did you run it on Sunday? Just curious if the sheriff was preventing people from using it?
I didn’t ask them what they were doing there. I just waved and kept driving. A while later about 8 people in side by sides passed me. I’m guessing they went by too.

It's been coming for a while... that road is actual not a legal road passed a certain point. I forget where but posted about it in a different thread on it. The land owner's that people are driving on ate getting more vocal about it.

I don't understand why y'all want to go somewhere where you are on private land that someone doesn't want you on. Especially a place that is under a ton of pressure.

4 seasons town center in greensboro is much more of a challenge to survive without body damage, primarily bullet holes to either the truck body, or your body... you survive 4 seasons, and youre a gangstah.:flipoff2:

I don't understand why y'all want to go somewhere where you are on private land that someone doesn't want you on. Especially a place that is under a ton of pressure.
I was under the impression that the road itself was not private land, but that many people using it were going on to the private land and creating the problem. I may have been wrong about that thought.

Somebody sent me this
download_20171108_122106.jpg

I deal with a little bit of this on

At least from my perspective that is part of the problem, there is no definitive answer one way or the other. It shows up of DOT maps and Caldwell County's GIS as a dedicated right of way. My belief, based on similar situations I have dealt with, is that it is a public road, just an unconventional one. There are quite a few properties along the road that Richland/Penley is its only access. IF it was private, these landlocked property owners would have to get private easements across private property. I believe that's the reason it hasn't been closed, there are too many property owners that would be prevented from accessing their property if it were to be shut down.

At least the groups I go with don't take spurs, and we don't act stupid. I can understand the homeowners between 321 and the beginning of the trail getting annoyed with traffic, but if it is an actual public road, why not use it? On the other hand, if it is proven to be private, I wont use. I just wish there was an easy way to clarify its status.

I think probably the folks that don't want people there encourage the misinformation (if it is) regarding the right of way stuff. There is some kind of club or gameland up there that people buy memberships to that makes them legit, but I don't know specifics.

I wonder what the legal differences are in "right of way" and "easement", if that is indeed what the situation is. I'm not of the belief that either grants access to the general public, but I have nothing to base that on, and I'm not looking it up right now.

I wonder what the legal differences are in "right of way" and "easement", if that is indeed what the situation is. I'm not of the belief that either grants access to the general public, but I have nothing to base that on, and I'm not looking it up right now.

With local government, when we are talking about right of way's, its usually referring to a streets. Easements on the other hand usually come into play with utilities; gas lines, water lines, power lines, etc. We also run into easement with private roads, roads that are not controlled or maintained by anyone but the property owners. If Richland was an easement, and not a road, it could allow access across private property, to gain access to other pieces of property. If that was the case, the property owners could gate off Richland as they please. Based on the maps, and the fact that it inst currently gated, makes me think its a dedicated ROW.

I could also be talking out of my ass about all this. I am working on finding the local DOT contact to try an get some more information.

rumor is it is an un-maintained state road, and the closing is fake news.

So . . .to Patrick's point. I pulled up Caldwell Co GIS map and not only is Richland Road listed by name it is also State Road 1372 - - almost all the way up to near the Watauga County border.

It starts where you can find it on Google Maps, but unlike Google Maps, the GIS shows the road continuing almost to end of Caldwell Co. Then it dies into a 650 Acre property owned by Dennis Creek LLC.

If you look at the Watauga Co GIS, you seen Penley Rd pick up about where Richland left off, but looks like you would have to drive on private property for a bit to include an individual's property I won't name, but is available in both GIS systems.

Edit: More info: Zillow shows Richland tying into Penley.

Last edited:
Its always the fcktards that screw things up for everyone else. What is so hard about staying only on the road and not venturing off onto private land??? Only been on Richland once myself but saw A-holes venturing off the road several times that day. Why can they not respect other peoples property?

Because they were not raised to respect other people's property. If I had gotten caught riding my dirt bikes on private property without permission I would no longer have a dirt bike, that simple. My father drove me around our area and had land owners that we already knew sign permission slips my mother made up stating I could ride on their property. If I damaged crops, no more scoot.

To this day I will not set foot on posted property, will not go on private property unless meeting the owner etc. People drive on my land all the time out by the main road, did you know that it is illegal to shoot at them? Maybe a paintball gun :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom