Builds Just another 79 build..... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep....that's the plan. Seems like it should be closed in....no way to get to pin though for hitch.
May make it a tad challenging getting the hole and pin lined up but I understand your solution.
Really not an issue if you’re going to leave the hitch in position on a permanent basis.

May make it a tad challenging getting the hole and pin lined up but I understand your solution.
Really not an issue if you’re going to leave the hitch in position on a permanent basis.
Probably not going to have a hitch in it at all. I think I towed my little boat with the truck....that's it.

Once I get it up on the table tomorrow, I will play around with some steel to see if I can't partially close the bottom in...maybe make some kind of artistic design to keep it open but close the areas in that I don't need to be open. I'd like to run a small strip along the face plate so I can shape it after welding the corner.

We've made it this far....we'll come up with something :)

Probably not going to have a hitch in it at all. I think I towed my little boat with the truck....that's it.

Once I get it up on the table tomorrow, I will play around with some steel to see if I can't partially close the bottom in...maybe make some kind of artistic design to keep it open but close the areas in that I don't need to be open. I'd like to run a small strip along the face plate so I can shape it after welding the corner.

We've made it this far....we'll come up with something :)
My “artistic designs” usually involve wood shims and duct tape. 😀
I‘m sure that’s not the case with yours. 😊

My “artistic designs” usually involve wood shims and duct tape. 😀
I‘m sure that’s not the case with yours. 😊

I'm happy to say, no wood shims on this project :)

Although we did have fake wood applied to this Wagoneer yesterday.....

20210224_134525.jpg

Lots of welding happening....almost got it all together but we ran out of time to do the corners. First thing tomorrow.....then the task of cleaning and shaping the rear corner starts. Not my idea of fun. So I won't be doing it. Ha.

Off of the truck for the first time.....
20210225_083438.jpeg

21 year old got some time in....

20210225_095246.jpeg

About mid way thru the job our Fedex guy showed up with a new welder....can't say I've ever stopped mid job to replace one welder that works perfectly fine with another Bought a Miller 211 Millermatic MIG....inverter welder. We have a Miller Dynasty inverter TIG...small footprint which is nice....great machines and super portable. The 211 gets great reviews and will do all we need it to. I had a Miller 170 MIG machine for probably 20 years....figured it was time for a new one. Ran a lot of welds in that 20 years I bet. Probably should have practiced with the new welder before changing mid-job but It's a new toy....I wanted to play with it.

20210225_132254.jpeg

I should have probably laid out my welds better...kind of just welded this thing where I felt like welding it.

20210225_105412.jpeg

20210225_105705.jpeg

Wanted to do a little grinding and cleaning of things outside....so outside it went. Beautiful day to be outside creating noise pollution.
20210225_151226.jpeg
20210225_165901.jpeg

Tomorrow we weld the caps on and get back to noise pollution.

I am loving your work stand. Check out the work to fit those cross pieces.... My stands are always hacked together scrap metal.

I am loving your work stand. Check out the work to fit those cross pieces.... My stands are always hacked together scrap metal.
Bahahahahaha....don't let that stainless material fool you. That cart came from a failed attempt at making some bar stools for my house when I thought I was a furniture builder. I didn't have my shop yet so I had to have various shops fab pieces for them. The guys who did the legs(what that cart/stand was made from) used some crazy thick wall stainless. Lol. The stools sucked because they were heavy and dangerous to sit on(I went with fashion WAY before function)....so we used them for our cart/stand that we needed to drop a motor out of a BMW 540. I was just telling the kid at the shop today how it came about. He seemed to not really care.

I welded that thing together at 2 in the AM as I recall.

Last edited:
This is our TIG cart. WAY over the top. Not sure there was any recycled material on this one. We build all of our carts/dollies/whatever with urethane wheels so the floor doesn't get scratched. Lol. Even our jacks have urethane wheels. OCD can be a real bitch.

IMG_20160409_153548.jpg

This is our TIG cart. WAY over the top. Not sure there was any recycled material on this one. We build all of our carts/dollies/whatever with urethane wheels so the floor doesn't get scratched. Lol. Even our jacks have urethane wheels. OCD can be a real bitch.

View attachment 2596603
That is an awesome cart! My cart looks like tornado aftermath compared to that HA.

I used to use a Lincoln when I was growing up, and it was ok, but in college we used Miller’s and it was awesome. Obviously they were higher models but I loved them, it was great. A few friends actually work for Miller now. Finally got the chance to pick up my own, the multimatic 220 (my friend engineered the arc control logic for it) and It is a beast in a small package. Very impressed with it capabilities. Point of my story: I love all the blue in your shop, and I need to get my cart game in check LOL.

by the way, is that ACE machine a fume extractor? If so, does it work well?

That is an awesome cart! My cart looks like tornado aftermath compared to that HA.

I used to use a Lincoln when I was growing up, and it was ok, but in college we used Miller’s and it was awesome. Obviously they were higher models but I loved them, it was great. A few friends actually work for Miller now. Finally got the chance to pick up my own, the multimatic 220 (my friend engineered the arc control logic for it) and It is a beast in a small package. Very impressed with it capabilities. Point of my story: I love all the blue in your shop, and I need to get my cart game in check LOL.

by the way, is that ACE machine a fume extractor? If so, does it work well?
I had a Century welder first. I remember tackling a set of headers for a Cobra I was building.....keep in mind it was a 110 flux wire welder.....lol. The header job was a mess....but my goal was just to tack them in so a pro could finish them. I took them to a Mennonite fabrication shop in Harrisonburg VA where I went to college and had helped me in the past with my FJ40. They nearly laughed me out of their shop. Lol. The guy behind the counter called every employee over to have a look and a laugh. It was bad. I'd cringe to see what I did on them now. Hell of a project to take on for a first time fabrication project.

The fume extractor does a GREAT job.....we can run the welders all day in the shop and you'll barely smell welding smoke in there.

The Mennonites would be proud of me I think....maybe....my welds have gotten far better but I'll never be a pro welder.... I am however handy with a grinder :)
20210226_155437.jpg

End plates turned out really nice.

20210226_170723.jpg

Really dig the way this setup turned out. If I did it again, I'd build it completely differently. Lol.
20210226_171618.jpg

Probably a few more hours left in this....a few as in a lot. The table gets used next week to put an LS in a Porsche.....who would have thought those barstool legs would live such a purposeful life :)

20210226_172700.jpg

20210226_171012.jpg

How much does that thing weigh? My back hurts just looking at it. :lol:

It weighs WAY a lot. Definitely 2 people required :)

Only going to get heavier too unfortunately :(

Hey Chris,

Already subscribed to this thread. Glad to get to see your truck in person today, even better than advertised haha. Will try to come by your shop when I get a chance for sure.

Duke

I bet this thing is at least 80-100 pounds. I'm in charge of putting the bolts in the holes when the guys lift it in place. No back pain that way :)

FINALLY.......done with grinding and fussing around. Tomorrow we do the side bars and then we'll bolt it on for a few months and get the truck out on the road for some fun.

Took way too long. Probably cost WAY too much. Probably weighs way too much. I love it. And when the side bars go on tomorrow, I'll love it even more.

20210301_173836.jpg
20210301_173845.jpg
20210301_173852.jpg

Epic. Simply epic. So far over the top that it can't be categorized. Your one-off custom truck just shape-shifted even further off the traveled path. I doff my cap sir.:cheers:

Epic. Simply epic. So far over the top that it can't be categorized. Your one-off custom truck just shape-shifted even further off the traveled path. I doff my cap sir.:cheers:
Well I appreciate those kind words. It's really been a cool build on this truck. Ready for the next one I think. Got a special one lined up :)

We had a bit of a short day.....had to take a road trip to pick up a new member of the family. Found a somewhat local 2006 LX470 that was fairly priced. 1 owner, FL truck, 200k miles, LOTS of service records. She's definitely been used but all easy stuff to bring up to my standards. Cool color....Galactic Gray Mica.

First thing ordered....new headlights :)

20210302_184548.jpg

20210302_175455.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom