Builds "Jenny" build thread - 1989 BJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw the way you looked at it vendor night at Cruise Moab......;)

I saw the way you looked at it vendor night at Cruise Moab......;)

Oh you have no idea. I wait til I'm the last person at the museum on occasion and spent solitude time making vroom-vroom noises and pretending I'm bouncing across the Outback in it :D

FB_IMG_1505310980231.jpg

Spent a bit if time pre-CruiseFest last Saturday leading a group of club representatives, public officials, Tread Lightly and private land owner reps (ski resort) to discuss cooperative management options, expanded OHV designations and responsible ohv use. The BJ74 marvelled them all and made quick work of the technical sections. If you're not part of the solution... you're part of the problem.

FB_IMG_1505310984793.jpg

Discussing locker actuation on FB (@joekatana) and I couldn't find the video I thought I had linked. Well, better late than never.

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing this with us Cruiseroutfit, very impressive BJ74 you have there and some helpful info.

I'm currently making up some replacement side steps, for my BJ73.
But I chose to use the original side step mounting points, rather than mounting to the chassis.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

I've been a slacker about updating here. I posted these elsewhere on Mud but reposting this here for my Jenny thread

Finished up my C2 Design hood strut kit. @c2dfj45 has assembled a really tidy kit with a nice hood mount brackets that are custom fit to the 7x Series hood. We used to do hood strut kits on the 4x Series back in the day, due to the rather flimsy factory hood they required a reinforcement structure be made or purchased. However the 7x really lends itself well to a hood strut kit with a rather robust hood and nice mounting locations utilized by the C2 Design kit. Chris includes everything you need including the ball stud for the cowl side strut mount and the side specific brackets for the hood side.

The cowl side bolt removed to mount the ball stud utilizes a lock & fender washer. You could simply add this to the provided ball stud or get OCD like me and dig into my OE hardware and find a ball stud with washer(s). Chris also includes some high quality rivets to mount the hood brackets to the hood. I got a wild hair and opted to use nutzert and OE hardware.

1568787760565.png

(Removed bolt, provided bolt w/added washers, OE options

1568787786281.png

(Nutzerts with OE 5mm hardware)

1568787817954.png

(Another angle)

Thanks aging for putting together such a great kit @c2dfj45

1568787759546.png

And while I was under the hood with the strut kit and oil change, I put a new o-ring in my PS pump, it has been weeping as of recent. Also, I noticed a couple of missing piping screws. I don't know if they've been missing for rears or a recent happening? Easy enough fix but odd. It's been a year since I last spent any time tinkering with this Cruiser and it felt good to finally get some maintenance and cleanup done. I've been using this for some military training classes and it's been needing some TLC. I've got some weatherstripping to swap out and some squeaks to track down on the bumper and hardtop. Love this little guy :D

View attachment 2085868

1568788015274.png

Earlier this year I also installed an Odd Iron Off-Road recovery point. Very nicely built and beefy. I've got a second one I picked up to put on my 77 as well. Highly recommend!

20190918_002817.jpg

Last edited:
And more recently (tonight) I finally had some time to pull the BJ74 in the shed and do some minor cleanup and deferred maintenance :D

621F7A5E-BCB3-4FC6-A9C1-940EAA5F6500.jpeg

The shift indicator slide had cracked in two sometime in the last few years. Nothing mission critical but when driving at night in particular it became difficult to recall what gear you were in as the slide has a little orange protrusion that makes the visable gear indicator. I tried to track down a new part or a similar part to no avail so I used some CA glue (thanks @use2bn83 for the glue rec). It nicely bonded the two pieces together nicely. I sanded down the glue and added a layer of black vinyl on the top and a thick clear vinyl on the bottom out of view to help reinforce it. It turned out perfect!

20190917_230252.jpg

20190918_004618.jpg

Nothing too wild, other than that it got new wipers and a wash. I fixed the sounds system, it now has two fully rocking dash speakers, better than the single I've been rocking for a few years. I need to toss a set of rear shocks on it and replace the bent tie rod that's been bugging me for 3 years now?

Last edited:
Nearly every year for the last decade I’ve led a group of folks from the Moab/Green River area into the annual CruiserFest event in SLC via some of Utah’s best off-road routes. For the past 5? years a BJ74 has been my chariot. I can’t think of a better truck for 3-5 day trips with a mix of Forest/BLM roads and technical routes all while keeping a smile one ones face. Thanks to my pal @Flyjester for the pics.

F76DE760-96CC-4D4C-8661-C91EE5CD3A46.jpeg

2744A6A4-24E9-4147-AF7E-86AD8F1DEAB5.jpeg

F6D336D6-B345-4EAA-B6E7-44490CF27C31.jpeg

6FB83D51-05AE-41D8-A0C3-4DDC4F685956.jpeg

My favorite office :cool:

Nearly every year for the last decade I’ve led a group of folks from the Moab/Green River area into the annual CruiserFest event in SLC via some of Utah’s best off-road routes. For the past 5? years a BJ74 has been my chariot. I can’t think of a better truck for 3-5 day trips with a mix of Forest/BLM roads and technical routes all while keeping a smile one ones face. Thanks to my pal @Flyjester for the pics.

View attachment 2085880

View attachment 2085879

View attachment 2085878

View attachment 2085877

My favorite office :cool:

My office is from the 60s, and not the FJ60's. Nothing like green textured wallpaper, orange corkboard and a burlwood desk. :frown:

Awesome photos.

I’ll need to be ordering a few more goodies for the 77. Cup holder & LED bulb (which rocks in the 74)
We got plenty. :)
As Rob mentioned, just waiting on the manual transmission template for the skid plates. Much like the recovery points, the skid plates are indeed "beefy". :)

Last edited:
A little refresh for Jenny.

My hood had some paintless dent repair done to it before I bought it and in fact I think @theferg had the work done when he was moonlighting at Cruiser Outfitters. They did a decent job but the structure under the hood was a bit tweaked and worse yet, the clear coat was peeling quite badly the last year, I suspect the hood and fenders had been repainted at some point in their life. We've been working with a new local shop called Tenacity Overland on various Cruiser projects. They are autobody professionals by day and run their build shop nights/weekends. We worked out a deal to send the BJ74 with them for a few weeks, with plans to have it finished and back by Cruise Moab. Well, that ship sailed (no Cruise Moab) but they were spot on with their timing and had it back to me last week. The cleaned up the hood, re-glued the reinforcements under the hood, re-shot paint on the hood, cowl panel fenders and aprons and put in the new fender to apron W/S while they had it apart, my old stuff was popping out so I sent them with some new pieces. We replaced the antenna, w/s washer nozzles and holders, hood cushions & bumpers, the washer hose, clips and fittings and the hood insulator and clips. Feels like a new Cruiser :D

20200413_192346.jpg

20200413_192352.jpg

20200413_192332.jpg

20200413_192424.jpg

This would look great on 35s...

:)

Yes it would... but reality striketh.

It rubs pretty good at full flex with the 32-33's it has on it now, taller suspension won't fix that. I like to do 3:1 low range gears in the t-case but with 35's I'd be forced to do something with the high range gears too. I think this little tractor will stay in this range. I've got 40's on 35/37's if needs arise. :D

So, did you buy that megacruiser that was on ebay??? I see something behind the pretty bling, bling 74.

So, did you buy that megacruiser that was on ebay??? I see something behind the pretty bling, bling 74.

Nope, had those for quite some time :D

Last summer at the shop

Screenshot_20200414-091805_Instagram.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom