Builds "Jenny" build thread - 1989 BJ74 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So what can one do with a mega-cruiser? Is it only "parade" type of vehicle or can you legally drive one of those now?

Lots of want there.

So what can one do with a mega-cruiser? Is it only "parade" type of vehicle or can you legally drive one of those now?

Lots of want there.

I'll kick off a MegaCruiser thread one of these days to talk specs, details and practical use.

Lots of want there.

Once they hit 25-years-old you can drive the wheels off.

A little refresh for Jenny.

My hood had some paintless dent repair done to it before I bought it and in fact I think @theferg had the work done when he was moonlighting at Cruiser Outfitters. They did a decent job but the structure under the hood was a bit tweaked and worse yet, the clear coat was peeling quite badly the last year, I suspect the hood and fenders had been repainted at some point in their life. We've been working with a new local shop called Tenacity Overland on various Cruiser projects. They are autobody professionals by day and run their build shop nights/weekends. We worked out a deal to send the BJ74 with them for a few weeks, with plans to have it finished and back by Cruise Moab. Well, that ship sailed (no Cruise Moab) but they were spot on with their timing and had it back to me last week. The cleaned up the hood, re-glued the reinforcements under the hood, re-shot paint on the hood, cowl panel fenders and aprons and put in the new fender to apron W/S while they had it apart, my old stuff was popping out so I sent them with some new pieces. We replaced the antenna, w/s washer nozzles and holders, hood cushions & bumpers, the washer hose, clips and fittings and the hood insulator and clips. Feels like a new Cruiser :D

View attachment 2271680

View attachment 2271682

View attachment 2271683

View attachment 2271684

She looks damn fine, sir! That "dentless repair" guy that did that hood work when I had it, totally sucked. I figured it would need a good re-do like this at some point. Looks like a job well done from the pics! I'll have to come check her out in person.

And man... I need a truck like this back in my life soon...

Hmm... @theferg I just happen to have a BJ74 thats for sale for whatever the exact price of a mega-cruiser is, weird coincidence???!! :rofl:

Do it... both of you do it!

Looking good Kurt!

A little refresh for Jenny.

My hood had some paintless dent repair done to it before I bought it and in fact I think @theferg had the work done when he was moonlighting at Cruiser Outfitters. They did a decent job but the structure under the hood was a bit tweaked and worse yet, the clear coat was peeling quite badly the last year, I suspect the hood and fenders had been repainted at some point in their life. We've been working with a new local shop called Tenacity Overland on various Cruiser projects. They are autobody professionals by day and run their build shop nights/weekends. We worked out a deal to send the BJ74 with them for a few weeks, with plans to have it finished and back by Cruise Moab. Well, that ship sailed (no Cruise Moab) but they were spot on with their timing and had it back to me last week. The cleaned up the hood, re-glued the reinforcements under the hood, re-shot paint on the hood, cowl panel fenders and aprons and put in the new fender to apron W/S while they had it apart, my old stuff was popping out so I sent them with some new pieces. We replaced the antenna, w/s washer nozzles and holders, hood cushions & bumpers, the washer hose, clips and fittings and the hood insulator and clips. Feels like a new Cruiser :D

View attachment 2271680

View attachment 2271682

View attachment 2271683

View attachment 2271684

Couple things that helps with the auto sucking power, extreme valve body with lower tcase gears and a intercooler. Those two things plus shimming the waste gate for more boost made a pretty decent difference.

Rob

Couple things that helps with the auto sucking power, extreme valve body with lower tcase gears and a intercooler. Those two things plus shimming the waste gate for more boost made a pretty decent difference.

Rob

It has the Wholesale Auto valve body. I'd love to do an intercooler but really it just works fine as is. I'm not looking/trying to make this into anything more than what it has been for me, a perfect Utah trail Cruiser. I've lived out of it for a week, I dont think I'll ever do much more than that.

Kurt are you running a piro? I know from past experience that even a early model 3B can reach very high exhaust temps going uphill in to high a gear.

Kurt are you running a piro? I know from past experience that even a early model 3B can reach very high exhaust temps going uphill in to high a gear.

I'm not and that is on my list to install. I've got one that @theferg included in the Cruiser. Where do you like to mount the pyrometer? The pre-turbo/post-turbo debate will likely never end. Some good thoughts on that here: 13BT Pyro Install

Kurt,
How much of a difference did the valve body make? Mine is set up identical to yours(33s and auto) and I think I use mine in about the same way. On the road I am just looking to get rid that "in between" feeling of 3rd and 4th on a road that is anything other then flat. How noticeable on the trail? Wondering if t-case and/or under drive gears would be more beneficial for our autos.

Kurt,
How much of a difference did the valve body make? Mine is set up identical to yours(33s and auto) and I think I use mine in about the same way. On the road I am just looking to get rid that "in between" feeling of 3rd and 4th on a road that is anything other then flat. How noticeable on the trail? Wondering if t-case and/or under drive gears would be more beneficial for our autos.

@theferg could offer more opinion as he owned it when the conversion was done. We ordered in the WA valve bodies for a couple of customers including Ferg before Georg & Ward were dealing in their parts. It shifts OK on the highway, no different then the inefficient drag of an FJ62 for instance. This is my 2nd auto 7x, the first one always shiften similarly though didn't lock up like this one. I also never left the Wasatch Front in the other one, it was a fun weekend Cruiser, this one I've driven all over the West, not a ton of miles but more trips. My other 7x's are or were H55F's and I definitely like those more BUT not enough I suppose to convert this one... yet. If anything I'm doing our 3:1 gears in the t-case, I don't want to change anything in high range personally.

I have a W.A. valve body in my A442F FZJ80. The shift quality is noticeably better. I'd do it again. Even in view of the substantial monetary outlay.

Thanks Kurt for the driving impressions. Ah yes the idea of a H55f swap sound nice but from my research so far it seems like a lot of work and not a ton of gain. Glad to hear the auto is not a deal killer for you after driving a 5spd. I often suffer from "the grass is greener" syndrome.

From a trail standpoint the automatic is way better in my view. From an overall driving experience I vastly prefer a manual.

My newest manual.....
mid day sun 4 3 20.jpg

Thanks Dan, maybe valve body before t case gears may be the way to go. Could you tolerate that set up in your 74 vs your 5sp? ( I know the answer)

In my view the 13BT would be somewhat lackluster with an automatic, at least from a "performance" standpoint. Offroad it would be a pleasure to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom