Is differential wear normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I always thought the differentials and gear cases (transfer excluded) were indestructible.. is it normal a 40 rear differential can get so much wear the teeth will break?

Everything can break - that's why there is no such thing as fool proof; idiot resistant is about as good as it gets. Some folks could ruin an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Run different size tires, not enough or improper lubricant in the cases, 3 times the OEM HP and drop the clutch a lot, poor setting up the gears in the first place are just some ways to ruin stuff.

Everything can break - that's why there is no such thing as fool proof; idiot resistant is about as good as it gets. Some folks could ruin an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Run different size tires, not enough or improper lubricant in the cases, 3 times the OEM HP and drop the clutch a lot, poor setting up the gears in the first place are just some ways to ruin stuff.
thanks for this.. i've been running 33's for the past few years.. i'm probably part of the problem

thanks for this.. i've been running 33's for the past few years.. i'm probably part of the problem
unlikely, unless abuse is involved

Seen it happen to a foolish buddy who thought the same thing. Don't jump your 40 in 4wd. Looked really cool getting 5 feet of air but he lost a couple ring gear teeth on his 4.11s upon landing and the pinion jammed. Wasn't fun to fix. Definitely not indestructible.

Modern lubricants last a long time, but even my three year old pickup the driveline fluid schedule is something like 60k miles.

Neglecting PM is just as bad as abuse, and most people don't take care of their crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom