Install: Diode Dynamics SmartTap Flasher Relay 2015 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bit of a long term update on the Smart Tap relay that I installed a couple years ago.

My Smart Tap had a partial failure that showed up as dim/flickering drivers front and rear turn signal. I troubleshooted for several days with no change, always a drivers side turn signal dim/flicker. The problem was consistent with bulb changes, and never followed when i switch around bulbs. I found no issues with battery voltage, ground wires, or the junction boxes within the cab. I eventually replaced the relay with a Novita electronic relay, and all symptoms went away.

Diode Dynamics customer service was excellent, and they promptly sent out a replacement relay no questions asked. Just make sure you have a copy of your original purchase invoice.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Sucks that there's no solution for '16+ rigs. Also dismayed to learn that other Toyota's of the same vintage came with this feature from the factory but my '18 200 doesn't have it. Add it to the list of things that are ridiculous for Toyota to not have on their flagship $$$ vehicle stock, like Apple Car Play...

Bit of a long term update on the Smart Tap relay that I installed a couple years ago.

My Smart Tap had a partial failure that showed up as dim/flickering drivers front and rear turn signal. I troubleshooted for several days with no change, always a drivers side turn signal dim/flicker. The problem was consistent with bulb changes, and never followed when i switch around bulbs. I found no issues with battery voltage, ground wires, or the junction boxes within the cab. I eventually replaced the relay with a Novita electronic relay, and all symptoms went away.

Diode Dynamics customer service was excellent, and they promptly sent out a replacement relay no questions asked. Just make sure you have a copy of your original purchase invoice.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

The SmartTap flasher on my LX470 also failed. The passenger side bulbs no longer illuminate. Good thing it has a three year warranty. Right now I’m waiting for them to ship out the replacement. The SmartTap flasher relays on my 200 and Toyota 86 are still working great though.

Word of advice to those installing this, don’t bother removing the stock flasher relay and swapping covers. Leave the stock one in there and just zip tie or use double sided tape to mount the new one. That way you have a spare that you can switch to in a couple of minutes in case the new flasher fails.

Maybe this belongs in the stupid question of the day thread. However, do you need to install the smart tap in order to just swap out the rear turn signal bulbs for LED bulbs? I don’t care about the the three blinks when tapping the turn signal. I have a 2011 LX 570.

Also, since I’ve been in the south for 30 years now, I will not be offended if you say to each other “Bless his heart y’all….he’s just ignant”

Maybe this belongs in the stupid question of the day thread. However, do you need to install the smart tap in order to just swap out the rear turn signal bulbs for LED bulbs? I don’t care about the the three blinks when tapping the turn signal. I have a 2011 LX 570.

Also, since I’ve been in the south for 30 years now, I will not be offended if you say to each other “Bless his heart y’all….he’s just ignant”
To my knowledge, these two things are independent from one another. You will need a load adjuster/equalizer to swap with LEDs, however. Some bulbs have them built-in.

I'm pretty sure you do actually, otherwise the LED bulb will cause a hyper-flash, as the car will think your incandescent bulb has burned out.

Has anyone installed this on a 2011 with DRL? Their website says it won’t work with DRL models.

Has anyone installed this on a 2011 with DRL? Their website says it won’t work with DRL models.
I have no idea how the DRL could have any effect on the turn signals. And all 200's have DRLs. I have one in my '15 and it works great.

I have no idea how the DRL could have any effect on the turn signals. And all 200's have DRLs. I have one in my '15 and it works great.
No idea, but it is listed on the site for the CF18 LM449

5A775D90-2649-4FDF-8105-71C4D67587E1.jpeg

I doubt the LC is technically a truck. I believe Tundras with DRLs use the turn signal as the DRL light. The smart tap definite only controls the turn signals.
This was correct.

I emailed them and here is their response:

“Thanks for reaching out! The DRL feature you are referring to was only for specific vehicles. This should not be an issue for your vehicle so you should be able to use the SmartTap.”

Followed the first post and this took 4 minutes. 2 of those were bc I thought I needed to take the lower black panels off then I realized I just need to take out only the actual panel with the buttons to the left of the steering wheel. Located the OEM flasher by feel with the blinker on, unplugged it and plugged the new one back in.

Thanks @yonah for the relay!! Works great.

177FC428-A5CF-45E5-AC81-8DA7EAE7C72D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom