I’m considering transplanting LS460 motor into 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m in that Lexus cheap and can part out all the other parts and still come out okay. Only concern is how hard is it to slap a transfer case on the LS460’s 8 speed transmission?

Sell it and buy an 6.0L LS, with a 4l80E and use Marks adapter. I do not see this turning out well considering the magnitude of a swap like that is probably only within the skills and abilities of maybe 10% of the people on mud. I could be wrong, but I am not sure you can fabricate engine, transmission, radiator mounts, etc. Probably not really familiar with EWDs for both vehicles and what exactly you would need from the LS460 to make the engine and transmission run in the 80 series. Are you going to relocate your fuel tank, run all new fuel lines, etc to make room for the divorced transfercase behind the automatic transmission? There would be nothing cheap about this swap. Acquiring the engine and transmission would be the cheapest part.

Agreed 1000% !

If you wanna be a pioneer, go for it. If you wanna be a little more practical, swap an LS into your 80. The most fun you’ll have in four wheels....

Sell all the Lexus stuff and fund your LS swap.

LS3 or add a turbo from @NLXTACY , turbo most likely will be a lot cheaper, simpler(keep engine Toyota) and produce close to the power of what a LS3 will provide and potentially lots more with tuning. I suspect the turbo will remove the need or desire to do engine swaps.

Why people want to much horsepower and lose the low end grunt is beyond me. But to each his own. I say go for it.

Last edited:
Why people want to much horsepower and lose the low end grunt is beyond me in a 60. But to each his own. I say go for it.

It is compensation for other issues, I know it baffles me when people say why don;t do compound turbos are you going to turn the fuel pin up, I did my swap just to improve my cruiser, it is not a race car hot rod or sports car :rolleyes:

Why people want to much horsepower and lose the low end grunt is beyond me in a 60. But to each his own. I say go for it.

With turbo you keep the same low end grunt but get the drivability and safety of a modern car getting onto the freeway. LS3 has huge amount of low end torque and paired with the 6 speed with lower first gear it’s actually better at low speed.

The current engine was designed for 55MPH and everyone was slower. That has changed obviously and unless someone only drives it around dirt roads the 80 is antiquated borderline unsafe on today’s roads.

me and a buddy are throwing the idea around to install a 1uz into his 92 80.

bell housing to mate it to the a440 is $600.00
yard engine with harness and ECU 1000.00

getting a 96 year engine out of a SC400 means there is no imobilizer, has a rear oil pan and air intake and cruise control are orientated similarly between the two platforms. That ECU doesn't interface with the tranny so none of that nonesense.

fabricate some motor mounts and exhaust and the rest is marrying the systems.

is it the end all power adder, no, but it should be a big step up from a 3FE and give much better gas mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom