Questions about a 94 80 series I’m looking at (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A whole lot of fluff there. Learning is what life is about and the more skin we have in the game, any game, the more we learn and the more we appreciate. If image projection and posing is the end game then short cuts get us there fast for sure but from that come a Cruiser load of nothing.

Having said that, I despise rust and will avoid it completely.
A lot of passive-aggressive above, grasshopper. People freely choose where they invest time. Whether they appreciate an inanimate object more than the next person is truly the most pointless thing I can think of caring about with my time.

It's just a car dude. The end.

lmao

A lot of passive-aggressive above, grasshopper. People freely choose where they invest time. Whether they appreciate an inanimate object more than the next person is truly the most pointless thing I can think of caring about with my time.

lmao

Eh, you'll make more friends from a DIY build than one you bought off BAT or wherever. I saw a gucci 80 in an Ace parking lot and I approached the owner about the build, he literally knew nothing about it, didn't even know the Alcantara headliner wasn't factory and the conversation ended quickly. Another guy approached me asking who did the work on my 80, confused I asked him what he meant, he said he's looking for a shop to do a resto-mod to his 96. I asked him about it and again, knew literally nothing about it, conversation ended quickly.

There is something to be said about a community of DIYers opposed to someone just throwing cash into a car.

lmao
We still haven’t learned.

Eh, you'll make more friends from a DIY build than one you bought off BAT or wherever. I saw a gucci 80 in an Ace parking lot and I approached the owner about the build, he literally knew nothing about it, didn't even know the Alcantara headliner wasn't factory and the conversation ended quickly. Another guy approached me asking who did the work on my 80, confused I asked him what he meant, he said he's looking for a shop to do a resto-mod to his 96. I asked him about it and again, knew literally nothing about it, conversation ended quickly.

There is something to be said about a community of DIYers opposed to someone just throwing cash into a car.
I agree, the only perspective I have is with the 2 old saabs I DIY'd literally everything except a blow headgasket. sourching parts took months somethimes. And after that movie about a saab came out last summer everyone wanted to buy perfect built ones or have a shop just restore the entire thing. In these sorts of vehicles you really should know how to do the work unless you have tons of money, and then why are you even on here? I will be doing most of the work myself. I'm awaiting the results on the cruiser as I type...

Its going to be a HARD PASS. Scott at Avid Cruisers said he doesnt think any PM has ever been done on this thing at all ever. Diff whine, axles dry, he opened some thing and steam came out he things the HG might be going but he said no point in even doing a compresson test as the oil hasnt been changed in 2 years. He said its a shame because the interior and body are ready good and no rust on frame at all. But he said id be looking at 10-15k right off the bat just to get it to where it should be. Unless the owner wants to sell it for a stupid low price its going to be on offer up again today. I'll post the VIN incase someone else looks at it and brings them here, will save them a ton of time.

JT3DJ81W3R0065832

Thanks again to everyone literally, for taking time to help me with this. I have learned a ton and I will be back. Scott is super cool and said I can send him links and he'll check em out and let me know from pics. See you guys soon.

None really, is this a jab? It feels like it. I came here to gain some knowledge from people who own land cruisers and seem to be combative.

Nah, you came here to play out the fantasy of 80-series ownership. You asked questions only you can answer (e.g. "is this a good value?" "depends on your market, finances, and skills"), and talked about how much you liked the interior and planned to add a Bluetooth speaker while not even having done a *basic* mechanical inspection.

If you want the white glove treatment, then go to Icon like Joe Rogan.

I suggest you do a *lot* more reading and monitoring of the market.

My advice, 1/2 cent, is buy the cheapest rust free example that you can.

Of course look for the signs of a tired engine/trans.

Ignore the OBD1 vs OBD2 bull****. Either is good. If you can properly troubleshoot then your going to do just fine with OBD1.

You stated you did all your own work in the Saabs, cruisers are not difficult. There are challenges just like every other machine.

I paid $3000 for my rust free cloth interior 93. I’ve since then probably put another $5000 in parts with my labour doing all of it. It came out of S Cali so paint is baked as was a lot of the rubber, but most of the rubber has been replaced with OEM stuff, all other parts I’ve replaced are OEM also. Only help I’ve had was with front pumpkin rebuild, and that was with one of the local club members so it cost a few beers and favour returns.

Baked paint doesn’t bother me, it sees plenty of alder trees and atv trails!

RUST FREE, anything else can be easily(mostly) repaired. Plenty of info here and help. There are some dicks here but that’s the norm, mostly cool people that like to wrench.

Last edited:
Interior is right on. Looks great!
The feature list is odd - cloth, no lockers, and no luggage rack, BUT with a sunroof.

Radiator has been replaced, so that's something.

What is the intended use for it?
Just to own and drive till you decide to resell?
Build it out to some degree for off roading or for overlanding?

The degree to which you would address the things I'm seeing under the hood/underneath/lacking from factory would be different depending.
My 93 has cloth, no lockers or rack but a sunroof. If it didn’t have a sunroof it would be the best. I’d pass on lockers vs a no sunroof as lockers can be easily added.

Base model, also most desirable IMOP.

I would lowball the guy selling the white 94 with cloth interior.

I guess there's some logic to this.

If the body and interior are in better than average condition, maybe. If it's all just average, snagging a low ball deal might be worth it still.

A lot of the mechanical baselining, suspension and rubber replacement stuff is highly likely going to be needed regardless of previous PM.

If it's been abused vs neglected then your parts bill could be higher if things have excessive wear and tear

My 93 has cloth, no lockers or rack but a sunroof. If it didn’t have a sunroof it would be the best. I’d pass on lockers vs a no sunroof as lockers can be easily added.

Base model, also most desirable IMOP.
My '93 has cloth, locks, but no sunroof. I'd love a sunroof, but would never trade the locks for it. lol
Or, I'd much rather diy refresh a sunroof than try to add locks.

Not everyone is in that boat, I get it. But for a new buyer, with limited knowledge, time, and/or expertise the purchase is the best time to whack a few birds with admittedly perhaps a larger than desired monetary stone.
But imo it works out best in the end.

I just wish my rig had come with a rear swing-out along with its front bumper and winch. Putting it off the last couple years I've enjoyed watching the cost of rear bumpers double. :facepalm:

So I pulled the trigger on a blue 95 basically single owner (father son) 168k miles bone stock baby. Can’t wait to get started on the build!

IMG_1805.jpeg

IMG_1804.jpeg

IMG_1801.jpeg

IMG_1800.jpeg

IMG_1799.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom