I'm at my absolute wits end- truck still overheating despite best efforts (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Parts are on order. Need to get Y-pipe from CDAN. Trying to track down a performance exhaust shop. The ones by me aren't what I'm looking for and I'm not going to Midas.

You do realize the newer 3 way heavy metal catalytic converters (only ones CA approved) actually run hotter than the old 2 way converters?

High flow cats off flea bay. The $50 ones are actually getting epic reviews on ls1 tech. Apparently they're great for FI fbody's

High flow cats off flea bay. The $50 ones are actually getting epic reviews on ls1 tech. Apparently they're great for FI fbody's

Not if they aren't CARB compliant. Smog stations check the numbers in their stupid book.

Thunderbolt brand

Awefawk. Forgot u live in Commie-fornia

You can sawzall the stock cats, gut em & weld em back up.

Ask me how I know >: )

This is a common practice in TX, but we aren't nearly as strict as Cali. Idk if it would fly up there?!?

You can sawzall the stock cats, gut em & weld em back up.

Ask me how I know >: )

Yeah, I considered that too with my 60. Not sure how well it does with the sniffer even if truck is running perfectly otherwise.

My 01 Mustang GT passed the sniffer with home made "high flow" cats as mentioned above. But that was ~ 2006 and I'm sure machines are a little less forgiving in 2014.

Come to think of it, we had things called MIL eliminators installed on those cars. I wonder if there's such a thing to fool Toyota ECU?

How did you you determine you had bad cats? (Sorry didn't catch it)

How did you you determine you had bad cats? (Sorry didn't catch it)

#1 Temperatures out of exit of both cats are 100º+ COOLER than the intake of the cats.
#2 OS2 jumping wildly instead of being more of a constant number/range.
#3 Compared against neighbor's LX and their results were opposite of mine.
#4 Neighbor has under 100k and I have over 327k.

Magnaflow is based down here behind the Orange Curtain. With your visa to enter from LA this weekend you should check them out in RSM.

#1 Temperatures out of exit of both cats are 100º+ COOLER than the intake of the cats.
#2 OS2 jumping wildly instead of being more of a constant number/range.
#3 Compared against neighbor's LX and their results were opposite of mine.
#4 Neighbor has under 100k and I have over 327k.

Jumping O2 sensor readings are a good thing. You should be seeing a range of .1 to 1.0 volt up and down in rapid oscillation with about a 300 millisecond response time. A lot of techs call it 'switching' and it's indicative of a properly functioning O2 sensor and/or ECM.

Jumping O2 sensor readings are a good thing. You should be seeing a range of .1 to 1.0 volt up and down in rapid oscillation with about a 300 millisecond response time. A lot of techs call it 'switching' and it's indicative of a properly functioning O2 sensor and/or ECM.

Yes this is true. The FSM actually tells you what the acceptable range of voltage fluctuation is for the sensors. This applies for BOTH sensors.

G4J8CKG.jpg

cHHqvzL.jpg

And this graphic better illustrates the voltage fluctuations which are good and not good

ShVfKzr.jpg

I used Magnaflow High Flow cats. They do last a while.

I have magnaflow hi flows and cant pass the Commirado rolling road dyno emissions test. Those cats are worthless for folks in strict emissions areas. Going to have to get the Magnaflow oem replacement cats, they make a CARB legal version too.

On a side note you need to check the back pressure of the exhaust to determine truly what is going on. I would hope there are some specs in the fsm for this procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom