1hdft overheating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday everyone, got a 1HDFT 80 series, roughly 425,000klm, no history on injector pump rebuild but have replaced the injectors roughly 2000km ago. Took the car out of town for the first time this weekend and going through the hills the coolant temps were rising and rising and rising. Got to roughly 97° Celsius. Didn’t have a choice top pull over anywhere. Egt’s were around 500-550 also. Has an auto box, gturbo Redwheel, pdi front mount intercooler, set of reconditioned std injectors. Have flushed the whole cooling system, new thermostat, new waterpump, new radiator, new hoses. Have given the injector pump a turn or two up on the max fuel screw and adjusted the aneroid pin to the deepest position. Runs 19psi boost, what could cause this? Could it be a worn injector pump? Or injector pump timing? I’ve been driving it around town for the past 4 months and coolant temp has stuck around 77 - 83. Any help is appreciated.

Expect no less!
Tweaking, hills, wind all contribute to heat.
Your OEM temp gauge will barely/ if move at 97C.
Water boils at 100C, obviously you run coolant and have a proper functioning rad cap, which at 14psi will bring the boiling point over 105 to110C
I would never worry about 97 degrees C
Ease off the throttle and drop the tranny into 3rd, you do not want the transmission hunting for gears as this also creates unwanted heat.

Yeah thought that would be the case, overdrive was on throughout the hills, didn’t even think about switching it off. H152 Manual conversion is on the cards for it also

Also didn’t mention, was nearly 40° Celsius outside temp, definitely didn’t help my case

Do you have a transmission cooler? A442 generates a LOT of heat. Needs significant cooling. Can be a big factor in coolant temps as ATF is cooled in the bottom of the radiator.

Big cooler and a manual lock-up kit much cheaper than a manual conversion and will address both heat and some transmission power loss

Also didn’t mention, was nearly 40° Celsius outside temp, definitely didn’t help my case

40⁰c shouldn't be a problem if everything is in good shape, and tuned right.

Where is your EGT probe? In the manifold before turbo? Or after the turbo?
Egt’s were around 500-550 also.
This comment makes me suspect your probe is after the turbo? Probe after the turbo is a total waste of time.

550⁰c after the turbo could be as much as 750-850⁰c measured at the manifold.
The range of difference between pre-turbo/ post-turbo EGTs fluctuates constantly.

850⁰c is pushing right to the limit of what's considered safe. Most will say 750⁰c at the manifold.

I agree, 97⁰c coolant temp is still safe if you have a reliable and accurate gauge, and good coolant, and a good radiator cap.
It's time to start watching the gauge, but if it sat at 97⁰c, you're still safe

If everything is in good shape, an overfueled tune will push EGTs up. As does holding a high gear to long and labouring the engine.
Downshift and keep the revs up. Your engine will be happier at 3500rpm in a lower gear than struggling under load at 2500 rpm in top gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom