I'm at my absolute wits end- truck still overheating despite best efforts (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will someone let me know when NLX finally tests the cheapest part of his system-the thermostat? I'm going to unsubscribe until there is more action and less speculation.

I can't believe you would seriously waste thought on a $3000 exhaust when you don't know if your $14 t-stat is any good and possibly causing your problem. You could straight pipe your cats temporarily for $100 and see if its the cats causing your overheat. That might be worth it for your sanity.

But good call on setting up the neighbor to buy her truck. Either that or ask her if she would swap out your thermostat.

For me the borla replacement was perfect fit from the headers all the way back with no temperature issues and the sound is deeper, perfect for an 80.

I've read from a few that the quality of the stainless is low, the sound is too deep and the mounting is junk.

Will someone let me know when NLX finally tests the cheapest part of his system-the thermostat? I'm going to unsubscribe until there is more action and less speculation.

I can't believe you would seriously waste thought on a $3000 exhaust when you don't know if your $14 t-stat is any good and possibly causing your problem. You could straight pipe your cats temporarily for $100 and see if its the cats causing your overheat. That might be worth it for your sanity.

But good call on setting up the neighbor to buy her truck. Either that or ask her if she would swap out your thermostat.

Unsub away :flipoff2:

My unemployment is keeping me too busy right now but the weekend is about to begin so blah :p

I'm not just considering exhaust, I'm doing it. Regardless if it causes my over heating or not. It's bad and needs to be replaced. Pure and simple.

Unsub away :flipoff2:

My unemployment is keeping me too busy right now but the weekend is about to begin so blah :p

I'm not just considering exhaust, I'm doing it. Regardless if it causes my over heating or not. It's bad and needs to be replaced. Pure and simple.
I forgot to mention in my way earlier post my exhaust looks like delancy's rolled 80 with cats that look like DD's thigh. Still running cool. All strung up with bailing wire. :hillbilly: :doh:

I already threatened to drive down and do the t-stat if he won't, for my own sanity! I'll pay the neighbor a visit while I'm there... Brown chicken, brown cow! :flipoff2:

I thought the heat readings said more than the sensor data myself. Plugged up is one thing, played out is another thing entirely. Cats are supposed to get hot, and if they aren't then they cannot be working for one reason or the other. (Wonder why we don't have a NOx sensor if that's what the whole reason for the cats is?) Back pressure would be hard to tell in a s/c engine I would think, due to the increased intake pressure? Seems like it would cover it up somewhat. Wouldn't take much back pressure in the exhaust to overheat an engine that's already making more heat than normal, regular motors get pretty hot when they are constricted that way...

I had bad cats on my SC'd Tacoma. the core had come loose and started jamming in the outlet and caused a lot of back pressure.
it was significant enough to show 1.5-2psi more boost on the boost gauge from not being able to evacuate the cyl. effectively reducing the displacement to make more boost.
when I fixed it with a big high flow cat it had like 50 more hp.

I did not have an overheating issue when it was bad.

I had an 88 chevy pickup extended cab 3/4 ton that plugged up a cat, the constant overheating finally blew the top tank off the radiator.

Shoulda supercharged it I guess...

Last edited:
Re: the exhaust. If the rest of your system is solid (I believe a previous post referenced that) I'd just take it to a shop and have them replace the cats only. You can get them to turn 'em sideways at the same time ;) The magnaflow system is OK. Bolted up great on the manifold but the first cat had a bent flange. I ended up having to take it to a shop to fix the leak anyway. From a visual standpoint the magnaflow ypipe does seem to have less constriction but its anyone's guess if that helps or hinders compared to the OEM one. If mine wasn't all rusted up I would have kept the OEM one.

Don't bother with the borla cat back system. You'll need to add a vibrant resonator just to get it close to what OEM sounded like. And get the mounts re-enforced. By that time its better just to pay someone for a custom job if you really need to replace that stuff.

FWIW....have someone weld in new cats and carry on.

Wait....there's beer involved? OK ONE of these is the fix!
1.Tstat
2.Cats
3.Fan
4.Egr
5.Replace SC
6.Swap a motor
7.Buy a motor
8.7 pin mod
9.CDL switch
10. 863 springs
11.Fan mod
12.Toyo AT
13.Obama
14. Buy a Honda
Seriously, everyone here buys you a beer, when you get this fixed!
1.tstat gets my vote

You forgot the most important #0 the owner !!! :steer: :flipoff2:

ha any chance of an airline bottle for the plugged cat plug in post #131. good to hear you got her , now your going to have to run a methol hydrate mix to get that super charger to sing proper. just kidding . nice work everyone .

ha any chance of an airline bottle for the plugged cat plug in post #131. good to hear you got her , now your going to have to run a methol hydrate mix to get that super charger to sing proper. just kidding . nice work everyone .
whoa whoa whoa!! theres been no work done. only typing and shooting a thermo-laser-thingy.. dont give him visions of grandeur!!

oops jumped the gun sorry. firstoy ,i was more saying that even oem changes from country to country at least with landrover. personally i have not owned a gas vehicle in a many years besides my bikes . was more going with past experiences with high heat issues ive encountered with past vehilcles and friends gas pots.

BTW, my neighbor is in her 60s. Original owner. 96k miles :smokin:

Told her she can't sell it unless I get first crack. Same color as mine too ;)

Maybe slowly start bolting parts from your truck onto hers then keep her truck....

Page 4??? WTF?

Problem solved? Was there a memo?

Page 4??? WTF?

Problem solved? Was there a memo?

Not his, but my Civic is running like a sewing machine now because of this thread.

:cheers:

yeah, he just wanted to know the problem, not fix it...

Joey...any updates?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom