I have questions about the Jeep Wave protocol... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StinkyPig

SILVER Star
Threads
I have noted, this year it seems more prevalent, that when I am driving my FJ40's the Jp folks tend to shoot me the Jp wave more often than not.
1. Is it because they don't know what a Jp looks like and mistakenly wave?
2. Or this because they are bowing to the superiority of the Land Cruiser?

So I ask fellow mudders, what is the correct protocol?

I won't initiate a wave with a Jeep, but if they wave I'll wave back. I had a '98 wrangler for a few years so don't mind it. I also had a Defender 90 for a short period as well and regret it every now and then because it was the last year the 90s were in the US...and man, the price they go for... That said, I see a lot more of them (and the 110s) now vs the 40s, so I'm happy I'm with this crowd. Now, I do initiate a wave with FJ Cruisers - like grandpa waving to his grandchild. I usually get a thumbs up.
The other day I had a guy driving one of the newer broncos come over to me at a gas station to have a chat...he was lured in by my red 40. End of the day, it's all good. We all know what we have and what is the true classic.

I generally view the “Jeep wave” as a 4x4 culture thing. I will never initiate a jeep wave, usually because I’m too busy white knuckling the 40 to keep it in the lane I intend; but if the jeep looks like it’s built for wheeling and has some mud on it, and they wave at me, I wave back. If your jeep has an angry-eyes grille and under glow lights, and a windshield sticker, well, I probably wouldn’t have noticed you if you drove past me on fire, let alone waving.

Ironically, I get more recognition from guys in clapped out Cherokees and 4Runners than Wranglers - again, we are culturally aligned.

Also ironically - FJ Cruiser people unilaterally have no idea what my truck is or care to find out. Same with 99% of 100/200 series owners and 60% of 80-series owners. 40 and 60 drivers usually know what’s up.

That said, if you pass me in a 40 series or 60 series, I will practically dive out of my moving vehicle into oncoming traffic to wave at you. Lucky for me, there are virtually no 40/60 series around here…

On the trail, I don’t discriminate - I don’t care if you’re in a wrangler, Cherokee, Bronco, defender, Xterra, 4Runner, or LandCruiser - if you’re out there seeing what your junk can do and enjoying the trails, you’re good people. I even gave a jeep guy a gallon of oil on the trail once.

Peripherally related:
I still remember about 10 years ago, my FJ40 dumped its clutch slave cylinder at a red light so I limped it over to the shoulder and waited for a tow. Two (cute) girls pulled up in a topless wrangler and said “Hey! It’s a jeep thing!” They laughed and the light turned green.

To this day I’m still note sure if

1. They thought I was driving a jeep, and were commiserating that mine had left me stranded or

2. They knew it WASN’T a Jeep, the the “Jeep thing” was that their still ran…

Last edited:
@RWBeringer4x4 ….. “Also ironically - FJ Cruiser people unilaterally have no idea what my truck is or care to find out. Same with 99% of 100/200 series owners and 60% of 80-series owners. 40 and 60 drivers usually know what’s up”.
———————————————————————————————————

Can you imagine their confusion when you pull up with a 70 Series Land Cruiser. 😁

@RWBeringer4x4 ….. “Also ironically - FJ Cruiser people unilaterally have no idea what my truck is or care to find out. Same with 99% of 100/200 series owners and 60% of 80-series owners. 40 and 60 drivers usually know what’s up”.
———————————————————————————————————

Can you imagine their confusion when you pull up with a 70 Series Land Cruiser. 😁

I was headed north up I-85 one day and about 20 miles west of Auburn. In the distance I see a slow moving boxy truck, looks kinda like an old Isuzu Tropper but not quite. As I close the gap I can tell that's a 70 series and diesel as it's blowing a little smoke. The guy was doing maybe 60 mph. I pulled alongside, lowered the passenger window, leaned over enough to get the guy's attention, gave a thumbs up and then sped back up. At first the driver seemed as if he was ignoring me, understandable as I deal with some of the same attention when in my 60 on the interstate. I was in a FRS and I'm sure that threw him off at first.

@Godwin ….. “slow moving, boxy truck”.
——————————————————————————
Unfortunately that’s to many letters for a vanity license plate. 😁

I was headed north up I-85 one day and about 20 miles west of Auburn. In the distance I see a slow moving boxy truck, looks kinda like an old Isuzu Tropper but not quite. As I close the gap I can tell that's a 70 series and diesel as it's blowing a little smoke. The guy was doing maybe 60 mph. I pulled alongside, lowered the passenger window, leaned over enough to get the guy's attention, gave a thumbs up and then sped back up. At first the driver seemed as if he was ignoring me, understandable as I deal with some of the same attention when in my 60 on the interstate. I was in a FRS and I'm sure that threw him off at first.
On a side note, your Instagram images are awesome. Cool stuff!

I generally view the “Jeep wave” as a 4x4 culture thing. I will never initiate a jeep wave, usually because I’m too busy white knuckling the 40 to keep it in the lane I intend; but if the jeep looks like it’s built for wheeling and has some mud on it, and they wave at me, I wave back. If your jeep has an angry-eyes grille and under glow lights, and a windshield sticker, well, I probably wouldn’t have noticed you if you drove past me on fire, let alone waving.

Ironically, I get more recognition from guys in clapped out Cherokees and 4Runners than Wranglers - again, we are culturally aligned.

Also ironically - FJ Cruiser people unilaterally have no idea what my truck is or care to find out. Same with 99% of 100/200 series owners and 60% of 80-series owners. 40 and 60 drivers usually know what’s up.

That said, if you pass me in a 40 series or 60 series, I will practically dive out of my moving vehicle into oncoming traffic to wave at you. Lucky for me, there are virtually no 40/60 series around here…

On the trail, I don’t discriminate - I don’t care if you’re in a wrangler, Cherokee, Bronco, defender, Xterra, 4Runner, or LandCruiser - if you’re out there seeing what your junk can do and enjoying the trails, you’re good people. I even gave a jeep guy a gallon of oil on the trail once.

Peripherally related:
I still remember about 10 years ago, my FJ40 dumped its clutch slave cylinder at a red light so I limped it over to the shoulder and waited for a tow. Two (cute) girls pulled up in a topless wrangler and said “Hey! It’s a jeep thing!” They laughed and the light turned green.

To this day I’m still note sure if

1. They thought I was driving a jeep, and were commiserating that mine had left me stranded or

2. They knew it WASN’T a Jeep, the the “Jeep thing” was that their still ran…

White knuckles are unnecessary… proper alignment and some 10” or narrower tires and you’ll be driving blindfolded down the lane in no time. :cheers:

I’ll wave back… usually I get a 👍 rather than a wave.

Unless it’s my jackass neighbour then I’d me more inclined to give him a finger or the full bouquet.

Going to Colorado in February, I had my 40 on the gooseneck. Somewhere in Iowa, a 200 came up from behind in the left lane. She, (which shocked me), pulled up, matched pace, gave me a big thumbs up and a smile.

I do appreciates a classy broad.

Last edited:
White knuckles are unnecessary… proper alignment and some 10” or narrower tires and you’ll be driving blindfolded down the lane in no time. :cheers:

Unless it’s my jackass neighbour then I’d me more inclined to give him a finger or the full bouquet.

I’ve got 8” wide tires and a good alignment, plus a Saginaw box. It’s not really so much that it wants to wander, as much as it simply does not want to go above 50mph peacefully. 😜 That means I’m usually being tailgated and watching the traffic I’m following like a hawk to make sure I can have a nice long braking run-up.

I’ve got 8” wide tires and a good alignment, plus a Saginaw box. It’s not really so much that it wants to wander, as much as it simply does not want to go above 50mph peacefully. 😜 That means I’m usually being tailgated and watching the traffic I’m following like a hawk to make sure I can have a nice long braking run-up.

Four wheel discs and an 80 series master & booster and you’ll be out stopping almost everything on the road with four wheels.

1 hand on the wheel on the freeway. Around 80 it feels like I’m pushing the old F engine but cruises 70 with ease and no darting. Manual brakes with only front discs and it’ll put you through the window from any speed.
I know, I need to pretty up my sniper monitor wire.
512DA5AB-6FD3-4ADC-8B45-0CCA288A8320.jpeg

Very few 40s where I live. Other 40s always get a wave from me and if someone waves or give the thumbs regardless of vehicle, I wave back. I have not had anyone chase me down at this point, it might happen one day. :)

Usually there is the odd bird because I don't push Louie much over 55, these days if you are not doing 65-70 in a 60 zone people are pissed. In an FJ40, for me it is 80% about the journey and 20% about the destination.

Four wheel discs and an 80 series master & booster and you’ll be out stopping almost everything on the road with four wheels.

Done, except with a 60 series master. There was perhaps some hyperbole in my statement 😜 meant for humor - not to disparage the mighty FJ40.

Back in the mid 1970’s we waved to everyone. We lived in a VERY VERY small town so it was likely even if you did not know their name, you’ve seen them somewhere. When we moved to New Jersey, we just carried on the tradition. Then I ran into this guy and his Bronco out on Island Beach Park…He was so stuck and desperate I had to stop and pull him out.

almost 50 years later… I’m still wavin’

58C3AE46-54A0-4D1C-B0E8-1BDF9757F663.jpeg

25B6F71E-7F43-4BAF-9375-293F3EF4A58A.jpeg

Last edited:
The Jeep guys (well mostly teenage girls and middle aged women) seldom wave. I think they view me as just another old Toyota pickup. It seems that every local plantation owner drives a Defender of some description and they generally wave.

I get waves from Jeep drivers quite often. I always wonder if they think I'm driving an old jeep or if they know its a Toyota. I usually wave back because why not? I always have a small smirk of superiority on my face though. Don't remember a time I've passed another 40 while driving mine though. I always wave to other Land Cruisers of any generation but most look at me like "do I know you?" I get get lots of thumbs up and waves and the all too common "nice jeep". Funny thing is there has been more women than men say "nice Toyota" or "nice Land Cruiser".

Normally when if I do anything at all I raise the pointer finger for the number 1

not give them the bird lol

This is an ode to the fact they call the jeep "there's only one" very selfish of them ... lots of trucks are jeeps ... even they think so

It's also for Marv as that was his 'thing' …. he was as we are #1

IMG_2371.JPG

jeeps only wave at jeeps here
but alot of toyotas will give the steering wheel salute, even fjcruisers
and the toyota guys dont usually go out 4x4ing with the jeep guys however a couple of my buddies have jeeps....

so i put one of these stickers on the back of my rig 😆

jeeps are s***.jpg

sw.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom