Hydro Assist Threads (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone seen or saved threads of an assist setup on a factory (not dana 60 swapped) axle equipped 80 series? I've searched, a lot, and haven't been able to find a thread. Surely this has been done on an 80 before.

I thought I saw one on a lx450 didnt take note if it was the stock axle ill try to find it.

Sent from my busted to s*** EVO4G

I've not seen any setups on stock 80 series axles. I've considered it, but I keep going back to the fact that if you really need hydro assist, you're probably beyond the 80 series axle limits. Might as well go with 1 tons and gain the ability to run your draglink up high (where it should be).

Also, the only type of hydro assist I would consider, is this one from EMF:

http://www.emfrodends.com/product-p/ehak.htm

http://www.emfrodends.com/EMF-Featured-Build-s/1863.htm

Almost all of the downsides to using hydro assist on the road come from using a single ended ram. These guys have come up with a pretty slick solution.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Has anyone seen or saved threads of an assist setup on a factory (not dana 60 swapped) axle equipped 80 series? I've searched, a lot, and haven't been able to find a thread. Surely this has been done on an 80 before.

When you say "switched the steering arms" do you mean from right to left? It seems like it would, or should work...

Just wondering if I could so that instead of buying a RHD steering arm...

I have hydro assist on mine

I have hydro assist on mine

Then I'll need to take a closer look at your build thread. Thank you Delancy.
I would disagree that if you need hydro you should be switching over to tons. Longs and such make for a strong axle that can handle 37+ tires very well, but at the cost of the steering components. Hydro setups save on wear and tear of the factory components, and I for one don't want to be the guy stuck on trail with a broken sector shaft (seen it, and its not cool or fun to recover).

Let me know if you need pics of anything for you, I used a 1.5x8" ram and use the ram to limit my steering, I have the tie rod up front using the rhd steering arm

mr jits said:
Thank you Delancy.

Did nothing. Had many more saved, but since deleted ( having determined not to do hydro assist )

One of my regrets is not having the OE box ported, at least, for hydro when rebuilding and upgrading. Decision was based on conversations with a few guys that have attempted to modify the pump to minimize cavitation, stating the system wasn't capable of delivering quiet operation.

I can't stand hearing the box whine. It still does even after a cooler with 1.4 additional quart capacity was added, at the same time the PS pump and gear box ( rebuilt with 105 shaft ) replaced, along with tie rod, drag link, and TREs.

Still have to adjust wheel center after tip toeing through the rocks on 345 KM2s, and have true 37s en route.

I do not think it will eliminate issues with OE components, but believe it'll push the failure point elsewhere.

I can't say that sheared studs wouldn't suck less that a bent sector shaft, but I wouldn't sell hydro as minimizing wear on anything but the sector shaft, because there's many more components that are now susceptible to failure.

I'm still very interested in pursuing, even if the need to carry more spare parts is a result.

So, I'm glad you started this thread, as I was in the process of hijacking another, regarding, but hoping to elicit replies that'll assist in determine g viability.

Hydro assist is way easier on steering components than using your steering box. Think of the amount of stress the passenger side knuckle alone sees, now add in hydro assist it evens the pressure to both knuckles. You don't need to go to one tons in order to have hydro let alone longfields. The main failures behind hydro assist are the steering studs, which is easily remedied by switching to ARP grade 10 studs http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=44

Secondly for mounting reference this mount except in reverse so the ram attaches to the tie rod behind the axle with the ram pointing towards the driver side knuckle
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/12641269-post267.html

Third upgrade the drag link and tie rod to DOM tube with .25 wall as it will need it with the ram.

Fourth you'll want to add a remote power steering fluid reservoir and an oil cooling line using a transmission cooler to keep the power steering fluid happy. If there is a way to up the pressure in the power steering pump I highly suggest doing that as well to increase fluid flow.

/End of line

LT said:
Secondly for mounting reference this mount except in reverse so the ram attaches to the tie rod behind the axle with the ram pointing towards the driver side knuckle

Even with pics, I don't understand what you're saying.

image-145954269.jpg

image-246004918.jpg

On good authority, it's been stated the PS pump bent a sector shaft while bench testing, without steering linkages connected or any other loads.

Issue still being fluid capacity and exchange considering the limitations of the rest if the system, causing the infamous whine.
image-145954269.jpg
image-246004918.jpg

Interesting idea for an XJ trailer queen.

However, for a road-going 80 you'll mess up your steering geometry if you reverse the steering arms. The ackerman will be backwards, and you'll get toe-in on turns instead of toe-out on turns. Makes for a lot of understeer with any steering angle at all.

Custom arms with proper ackerman angles built in would be a better idea for a road-going vehicle.

170px-Ackermann_simple_design.svg.png

220px-Ackermann_turning.svg.png

images courtesy of google images.

With arms in front you need them to point outwards from the kingpin pivot point. So custom high-steer arms would be required. Something like what this pic shows:
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/073_C_014_Steering/IMG017_3.gif

As for the rest of the hydro stuff, I'm interested!

Last edited:
Hydro assist is way easier on steering components than using your steering box. Think of the amount of stress the passenger side knuckle alone sees, now add in hydro assist it evens the pressure to both knuckles. You don't need to go to one tons in order to have hydro let alone longfields. The main failures behind hydro assist are the steering studs, which is easily remedied by switching to ARP grade 10 studs http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=44

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/12641269-post267.html

Third upgrade the drag link and tie rod to DOM tube with .25 wall as it will need it with the ram.

Fourth you'll want to add a remote power steering fluid reservoir and an oil cooling line using a transmission cooler to keep the power steering fluid happy. If there is a way to up the pressure in the power steering pump I highly suggest doing that as well to increase fluid flow.

/End of line

Thanks for adding to the discussion and yours and Mark's input on this while I was in the shop today (great bumper btw:D).
I'll be collecting parts over the next couple of months (now have the ARP studs to add to the list), and I'll then start another thread to document what I do. I'll be rebuilding the PS pump and steering box while I'm doing this so it should be an opportunity to put together a pretty good how to or how not too.

I have been throwing this back and forth since the sector shaft incident... Actually I just ordered a 1.5x8" ram and am going to be tackling this near the end of February. I've got the pump shimmed, slightly ported and rebuilt right now. Next comes the steering box and mounting the ram. I will keep you posted on the progress of this if you'd like.

Matt

I have been throwing this back and forth since the sector shaft incident... Actually I just ordered a 1.5x8" ram and am going to be tackling this near the end of February. I've got the pump shimmed, slightly ported and rebuilt right now. Next comes the steering box and mounting the ram. I will keep you posted on the progress of this if you'd like.

Matt

Please do, and good to hear from you! I'd love to see what you come up with. What I have in mind is going to be very simple and straight forward. No high steer arms or anything crazy.

Even with pics, I don't understand what you're saying.

On good authority, it's been stated the PS pump bent a sector shaft while bench testing, without steering linkages connected or any other loads.

Issue still being fluid capacity and exchange considering the limitations of the rest if the system, causing the infamous whine.

Imagine the mount pointing towards the rear of the vehicle attached to the tie rod. Ram orientation remains the same, after dusting off my memory that's how I mounted the ram on a fj40 axle with 4x4 labs steering arms

Thanks for adding to the discussion and yours and Mark's input on this while I was in the shop today (great bumper btw:D).
I'll be collecting parts over the next couple of months (now have the ARP studs to add to the list), and I'll then start another thread to document what I do. I'll be rebuilding the PS pump and steering box while I'm doing this so it should be an opportunity to put together a pretty good how to or how not too.

No problemo. Hope you're enjoying your new tattoos :D

Here's a list of parts I'm putting together for the set-up:
6" or 8" ram (probably getting from a club member)
3 916-1436 1/4" X 36" 1/4 NPTM X 1/I HYD HOSE 22.05
1 9-5000-4-4 1/4 X 1/4 NPTF COUPLER 0.95
2 9-5406-P-4 1/4" NPT PLUG 0.72
2 9-6900-6-4 SAE 6M x 1/4 NPTF SWIVEL 3.38
2 9-1503-4-4 1/4 NPTM x 1/4 NPTF 45 S 5.90
Front Range Off-Road knuckle stud kit
1.25x.25 wall tie and relay rods
Mounts to connect ram to tie rod and axle housing
FLX-4110 cooler

This is more for me to keep track of what I need than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom