A442F (early 1HDT hydro auto) shift points (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

My apologies if there's already a thread. I searched and couldn't find one. Wondering what the standard shift points for a A442F hydro trans for the early (1992) JDM turbodiesel should be shifting at? I have a suspicion mine is shifting wrong. My shift points when left in D is approximately as follows:

1st gear: 0-10kmh
2nd gear: 10-15kmh
3rd gear: 15-20kmh
4th gear: 20-60kmh
4th gear OD: 60+kmh

When driving in D, feels like it's lugging the transmission way in too high of a gear (it's always preferring 4th) at almost every speed until 100kmh. The engine has to be revved at 2k or more to gain any decent acceleration. Shifting manually though the gears feels better but still quite slushy and needs higher rpm to get decent acceleration to the tires. I should mention the drivetrain shakes quite hard at idle when it's hot out (torque converter?).

Precautions taken:
Tranny fluid dip stick level checked when cold and hot, and is perfect. Honey gold color. Planning to flush fluid but does look like brand new.
Kickdown cable was adjusted quite a lot with no effect on gear shift points and harshness.

Does anyone have suggestions on what it could be, and what I can do? Since this is a full hydro, there aren't solenoids so I'm not familiar with what could be the issue. Could the torque converter be causing slipping/hydro pressure issues/shaking?

Thanks in advance gents.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/rm188e-a442f-pdf.2984665/

The A442F hydro I have also likes to get in 4th gear asap and it will lug along. If I'm driving around town and think about it I will shift and leave it in 3rd definitely more punchy that way. 4th is just very "tall." Not sure how to address your other concerns. IIRC the trans fluid recommended for our hydros has a red tint. Definitely not gold.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/rm188e-a442f-pdf.2984665/

The A442F hydro I have also likes to get in 4th gear asap and it will lug along. If I'm driving around town and think about it I will shift and leave it in 3rd definitely more punchy that way. 4th is just very "tall." Not sure how to address your other concerns. IIRC the trans fluid recommended for our hydros has a red tint. Definitely not gold.
I think I might have this issue as well. Shifts smooth up to 3rd but when shifting to 4th (or maybe OD?) there is quite a noticeable engine rpm drop (22-2300 rpm down to 1800) and I have been wondering what might be causing this? Often if I am driving around at less than 45 mph, I will just leave it in ”3”.

I think I might have this issue as well. Shifts smooth up to 3rd but when shifting to 4th (or maybe OD?) there is quite a noticeable engine rpm drop (22-2300 rpm down to 1800) and I have been wondering what might be causing this? Often if I am driving around at less than 45 mph, I will just leave it in ”3”.
That's the converter locking up.
Driving in third won't allow the converter to lock and builds some serious heat

That's the converter locking up.
Driving in third won't allow the converter to lock and builds some serious heat
Yeah, I thought something was seriously wrong but after some research and some learning it’s completely normal. I think I will just leave it in “D” now. Lol.

anybody ever grind some material off the governor weights to make it wait a bit longer before going into 4th?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom