How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys,

FYI - I had an old eee PC 1000HE from like 2008 and it had XP. I was able to get the cable and Techstream added and working with no issues. They are a cool cheap mini 10 inch laptops with a long battery life. If you hit F9 on startup it goes to a ghost restore to factory settings with no windows key needed. (Ghost is a exact copy of the way it was after install.) So if you got one used on eBay you could factory restore and have a cheap clean <$100 GXOR computer. The battery is awesome also vs the 2 hrs my 15 inch has. I plan to take it on trips. After getting T-boned in the front fender in a parking lot at <5mph the crawl control stopped working and I had to do a zero point calibration. What if you hit something off-road like a deep rut. I'm assuming you may need a ZPC in some cases. Anyway just thought it was interesting. Here is the cable that works w XP on the EEE or virtual box w XP and it was next day prime so the price was $10 more than most, but the software was flawless.
Amazon product ASIN B084H75MZ3

Example on ebay

Screenshot_20200909-123515.png

I got my cable via Amzn and it had a disk with instructions that included making some changes to skip the registration process I guess because it sends the program to connect to the truck and not to the homepage. I also don’t have the “Health Check option nor the adjustment section in blue bubbles (tilt steering, etc.)View attachment 2424730.

If I do go to the Homepage, I get requested to register the version. Not sure what to do. I can read all the yellow sections, clear codes and they all end up white once done, but no adjustments possible.

You probably need to add then patch icon to the desktop and you are supposed to use that patch icon not the regular icon. Otherwise if your software doesn't have a patch you need a key

You probably need to add then patch icon to the desktop and you are supposed to use that patch icon not the regular icon. Otherwise if your software doesn't have a patch you need a key
Thanks for your input. Would like to try. Would you know how to add the patch icon to the desktop?

Thanks for your input. Would like to try. Would you know how to add the patch icon to the desktop?

my cable says to email the seller for the software. I emailed and an hour later he sent links. In my case it said copy paste from the folder. Your cable should come with software or links to software. They will give you a key or patch. Otherwise Buy this cable, email the seller and he will send you links and a pdf with directions. Follow what they say to do.

my cable says to email the seller for the software. I emailed and an hour later he sent links. In my case it said copy paste from the folder. Your cable should come with software or links to software. They will give you a key or patch. Otherwise Buy this cable, email the seller and he will send you links and a pdf with directions. Follow what they say to do.
Thanks for the follow up. Mine did come with a disk and I copied the files as per the instructions, but this is what I got. I will try and reinstall it and see if that does any changes. Cheers.

why are you guys still trying to install Techstream to your physical computer?

The original post has a link to a virtual machine that has Techstream on it already. Think of it as remotely logging onto a far away computer with techstream via your own computer. Doesn't matter if you have a PC, a Mac, a Linux etc.

here are the steps:

1) buy a cable that works with our year Toyota or Lexus. Looks like there are a lot of options posted recently. I got one for $30 that works with my LX. If your cable comes with a Techstream CD, throw it away or use it as a frisbee or something.

2) Download the software that allows you to log into a virtual machine. Link to get it is in the first post.

3) Install said software to your physical computer.

4) Download the Techstream "image" - basically the file that will let you log into the virtual computer that already has techstream installed

From there you will see a windows machine and desktop boot up within your existing computer. Computer within a computer. Click the desktop icon for Techstream and Bob's your uncle.

It literally takes 5 minutes.

Last edited:

The original post has a link to a virtual machine that has Techstream on it already. Think of it as remotely logging onto a far away computer with techstream via your own computer. Doesn't matter if you have a PC, a Mac, a Linux etc.

here are the steps:

1) buy a cable that works with our year Toyota or Lexus. Looks like there are a lot of options posted recently. I got one for $30 that works with my LX. If your cable comes with a Techstream CD, throw it away or use it as a frisbee or something.

2) Download the software that allows you to log into a virtual machine. Link to get it is in the first post.

4) Download the Techstream "image" - basically the file that will let you log into the virtual computer that already has techstream installed

From there you will see a windows machine and desktop boot up within your existing computer. Computer within a computer. Click the desktop icon for Techstream and Bob's your uncle.

You are absolutely correct

When I say copy the patch to the desktop, it doesn't mean PC as in desktop PC, but rather the home screen (desktop page) you use to access the programs ie the virtual desktop...where icons are automatically placed when you install them.

I used virtual box on my current laptop and it worked great. A few months later I remembered I had a 2008 useless computer sitting in the closet and it's now a GX computer and my boat can connect to it as well with Yamaha software. I would never load random software on a computer that has my personal info or bank info is is connected to the net.

Thanks for the follow up. Mine did come with a disk and I copied the files as per the instructions, but this is what I got. I will try and reinstall it and see if that does any changes. Cheers.

Don't forget to always hit cancel and not be connected to the internet.

here are the steps:

Thanks for the info. Question: Does one need to be connected to the internet for this to function? My signal does not reach where the vehicle is parked.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. Question: Does one need to be connected to the internet for this to function? My signal does not reach where the vehicle is parked.

Cheers

Yes you need to be connected to the internet to access the virtual machine. I believe I used a hot spot on my phone when I did it away from my house.

Does this one work with 2007 Landcruiser?

Amazon product ASIN B07BCNPDDG
In case if it doesn't show up on screen, please search for
”DIAGKING Mini Vci J2534 TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable for Toyota Firmware V1.4.1"

Thanks!
Probably will but if I were you I’d find a cheaper one. They all do the same thing in the end. I ended up going with the cheaper Washinglee cable a few pages back and it even came with remote tech support. There’re even cheaper options out there.

Fair warning: I was going to order a software & cable kit from OBDInnovations but they seemed to be out of stock on a lot of them for our Toyota’s. After checking a few of their social media profiles it appears as though they’ve gone downhill. A lot of negative reviews and people reporting unfulfilled orders. Just be conscience of this before placing an order with them. These are from their most recent Facebook & Instagram posts (which are from 2017...)

08085281-A46F-4A71-BA7B-4D7E29E4CCE2.png

095D0F0B-3516-40E5-8EE3-06C373FA6774.png

Probably will but if I were you I’d find a cheaper one. They all do the same thing in the end. I ended up going with the cheaper Washinglee cable a few pages back and it even came with remote tech support. There’re even cheaper options out there.

Fair warning: I was going to order a software & cable kit from OBDInnovations but they seemed to be out of stock on a lot of them for our Toyota’s. After checking a few of their social media profiles it appears as though they’ve gone downhill. A lot of negative reviews and people reporting unfulfilled orders. Just be conscience of this before placing an order with them. These are from their most recent Facebook & Instagram posts (which are from 2017...)

View attachment 2443912

View attachment 2443913

Thanks so much for the very helpful info! :D

Hey guys,

FYI - I had an old eee PC 1000HE from like 2008 and it had XP. I was able to get the cable and Techstream added and working with no issues. They are a cool cheap mini 10 inch laptops with a long battery life. If you hit F9 on startup it goes to a ghost restore to factory settings with no windows key needed. (Ghost is a exact copy of the way it was after install.) So if you got one used on eBay you could factory restore and have a cheap clean <$100 GXOR computer. The battery is awesome also vs the 2 hrs my 15 inch has. I plan to take it on trips. After getting T-boned in the front fender in a parking lot at <5mph the crawl control stopped working and I had to do a zero point calibration. What if you hit something off-road like a deep rut. I'm assuming you may need a ZPC in some cases. Anyway just thought it was interesting. Here is the cable that works w XP on the EEE or virtual box w XP and it was next day prime so the price was $10 more than most, but the software was flawless.

Example on ebay

View attachment 2430796
@Stewfish i just got an asus Eee PC 900HA similar to that one and it came installed with XP service pack 3. are there new links?
the virtual box downloads but wont install correctly.
the Techstream says I need to use their 32 bit meg app to download techstream, then goes on to say the 32 bit mega app only works for win 7.
what browser are u using?
any suggestions? i followed the links on page 1 of this thread.

Does this one work with 2007 Landcruiser?

Amazon product ASIN B07BCNPDDG
In case if it doesn't show up on screen, please search for
”DIAGKING Mini Vci J2534 TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable for Toyota Firmware V1.4.1"

Thanks!
Apparently it is being reported to get a V2.x firmware cable to be able to manipulate TPMS info. Just a heads up.

@Stewfish i just got an asus Eee PC 900HA similar to that one and it came installed with XP service pack 3. are there new links?
the Techstream says I need to use their 32 bit meg app to download techstream, then goes on to say the 32 bit mega app only works for win 7.

Get the cable I got, it came with software and was next day prime. It was perfect. Just had an ABS wire brake bc I messed it up and didn't remove the brackets. Saw the code in TS. Got a new 4runner cable and changed it. I was happy to have the eee with me encase I needed to clear the code or went into limp mode. Made it to the dealership an hr away w no limp mode, all turned out good. Good insurance to have

Just paid for my Techstream with a dummy tax. So my battery was dead and in my brilliance, I cross connected the jumper cables for about 3 seconds. Once I corrected it, and cranked the truck, it wouldn't rev over about 1000-1200 rpm. Pulled out the trusty techstream and found a P2118 code. Turns out it was the ETCS fuse. Swapped it and running fine.

On another note, before my dumba$$ move, when I'd try to put my AHC in H or L, it would flash twice then go back to a solid N light. After my jumper cable incident, AHC is working fine. Pressures a little high, but we'll sort that out. Techstream FTW!!!

^ Send a thank you note to your deity of choice.

Did you install virtual box machine on your windows or mac? you need that to access the image made for Techstream. Once you download the image.. go to virtual box and open the image up and techstream should be installed in the image.

Did you install virtual box machine on your windows or mac? you need that to access the image made for Techstream. Once you download the image.. go to virtual box and open the image up and techstream should be installed in the image.
the VB wont work i have a s***ty 32 bit win XP laptop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom