How to slow down the 80 from rocking so much while wheeling - body control (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A good video of ARB BP51 showing the effect of adjusting the rebound and compression adjustments. Watching the same vehicle doing the same obstacles at the same speed side by side is really telling. I thought it was mind blowing, actually!

Another instructional video on the concept of compression vs rebound

Last edited:
I ran the SLEE HDP years ago and liked them a lot, for that amount of lift.

By the way I bombed some cattle guards on gravel roads at 70mph over the weekend. Smooth as butter and very controlled.

Cheers

I did a quick add to cart with my specs and for a 3-5" lift for front+rear. This is a with a six month lead time.

View attachment 2689711

This is with adjusters, bump stop kit f&r and custom tuning.

9751AFC2-FAD0-41F7-BF4D-42786FFE4399.jpeg

No joke, good shocks cost lots of 💵 but you do get what you pay for. I have paid less for a good Cruiser, I know many of you have as well. 😂

Pair that with a Diamond housing, a 105 sector shaft and you can flog it all day long hard and it will take it.

By the way, I can get my BP51’s pretty warm to the touch, nearly hot even.

Cheers

This is a real life feedback, thanks for that. Oh and I hope my 15 yo daughter will let me tag with her to KOH......some day!!!

Might you be able to approx the weight of your rig? Mine is at 7k.
I know right. Someday...

Probably 7-8k loaded for both rigs.

I have BP 51 long travel shocks front and rear. They work very well for exactly what you are describing.

I have BP 51 long travel shocks front and rear. They work very well for exactly what you are describing.
What's the specs on your rig and weight?

Or just update your signature line 🤣

So, it looks like I'm down to BP51 vs MRA. Costs are similar, both vendors support this board. BPs have a three year and MRAs have a two year warranty. Sounds like both came out around 2018. MRAs have slightly larger piston/bores.

Thoughts? Maybe I should do a poll?

So, it looks like I'm down to BP51 vs MRA. Costs are similar, both vendors support this board. BPs have a three year and MRAs have a two year warranty. Sounds like both came out around 2018. MRAs have slightly larger piston/bores.

Thoughts? Maybe I should do a poll?

Why not keep it all Dobinson if you plan to keep the green springs? What OME calls long travel is just their “long” nitro charger shocks which are really only good for up to 3” lift after which shock down travel is sacrificed. The MRA is probably the same story.

This video was educational for me, personally:

I learned something!

This video was worth it to see the 200 jump at 4:04. That is one majestic minivan!

Why not keep it all Dobinson if you plan to keep the green springs? What OME calls long travel is just their “long” nitro charger shocks which are really only good for up to 3” lift after which shock down travel is sacrificed. The MRA is probably the same story.

I think both BP51 & MRA shocks have 26"/16" lengths, from what I've gathered so far. But yeah, having all Dobs suspension parts may have some advantage, not sure what that might be!

Last edited:
I think both BP51 & MRA shocks have 26"/16" lengths, from what I've gathered so far. But yeah, having all Dobs suspension parts may have some advantage, not sure what that might be!
Yeah me either. Most of us non-racers driving ordinary touring type rigs will never be able to take advantage of a remote reservoir because our use is not severe enough to cause the necessary pumping action to move shock oil into and out of the remote res.

While I will agree that adjustability, if done properly with in the shock, is a feature that can produce a noticeable difference, it’s my opinion that the remote res is just a sales gimmick as far as the average Joe is concerned.

Yeah me either. Most of us non-racers driving ordinary touring type rigs will never be able to take advantage of a remote reservoir because our use is not severe enough to cause the necessary pumping action to move shock oil into and out of the remote res.

While I will agree that adjustability, if done properly with in the shock, is a feature that can produce a noticeable difference, it’s my opinion that the remote res is just a sales gimmick as far as the average Joe is concerned.
You cray-cray...

Have you driven a vehicle back to back, with/without reservoir shocks??

Now, whether or not they are worth the money is a whole 'nother question. But whether they add value (and how much) is not a question.

I think a good example is the MRR/A shocks vs the IMS shocks. A lot of the same technology in both those shocks (and same diameter, pretty sure, maybe even same shock body), they just have to stuff nearly everything from the remote into the body of the IMS, going to lose performance there for sure.

"You cray-cray..." :rofl:

You cray-cray...

Now, whether or not they are worth the money is a whole 'nother question. But whether they add value (and how much) is not a question.

I think a good example is the MRR/A shocks vs the IMS shocks. A lot of the same technology in both those shocks (and same diameter, pretty sure, maybe even same shock body), they just have to stuff nearly everything from the remote into the body of the IMS, going to lose performance there for sure.
Words only

You cray-cray...

Sort of, from my perspective anyway. The design differences between the typical twin tube variety and a monotube is substantial when it comes to fatigue. Adding the remote reservoir to the equation has some advantages in heat dissipation versus the monotube but the marginal advantage is less.

Ali,

Currently in St. George, and finishing up 12 days thru the Utah backcountry with my fam, including the bounciest trail, Elephant Hill haha. Controlling an 8000# live axle, coils sprung 80 is no easy task. I know exactly what you are talking about. I feel like we run very similar setups and similar travels. I have run tapered, flexi, Slee HD and linear coils as well as ran foam, mono 2.0s, Icon CDCV and now Dobi MRRs on my heavy 80. I feel moving to “Gucci” shocks and adding Timbrenzz will give you the best improvement.

The MRRs made a huge gain in the body control dept vs. Icon 2.5s WITH standard valving. I do run the 6-7” length ones with about 4” of lift and proper bump spacing. It’s all in the low speed compression adjustment and the rebound adjustment that the Dobinsons have that help tame these heavy trucks. Your coils seem to be the correct rate for your weight. I definitely agree that the truck does much better with the sway bar disconnected on trails and do that as well.

Ali,

Currently in St. George, and finishing up 12 days thru the Utah backcountry with my fam, including the bounciest trail, Elephant Hill haha. Controlling an 8000# live axle, coils sprung 80 is no easy task. I know exactly what you are talking about. I feel like we run very similar setups and similar travels. I have run tapered, flexi, Slee HD and linear coils as well as ran foam, mono 2.0s, Icon CDCV and now Dobi MRRs on my heavy 80. I feel moving to “Gucci” shocks and adding Timbrenzz will give you the best improvement.

The MRRs made a huge gain in the body control dept vs. Icon 2.5s WITH standard valving. I do run the 6-7” length ones with about 4” of lift and proper bump spacing. It’s all in the low speed compression adjustment and the rebound adjustment that the Dobinsons have that help tame these heavy trucks. Your coils seem to be the correct rate for your weight. I definitely agree that the truck does much better with the sway bar disconnected on trails and do that as well.

Thank you for that excellent feedback and wow, 12 days? That's a serious vacation and a serious workout of your rig. 8,000# is no joke so it sounds like you've spent a small fortune on dialing in your suspension. I might PM you with questions, if I may.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom