How to slow down the 80 from rocking so much while wheeling - body control (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From my recollection, the MRR shocks are for lifts in the 3” range and not for someone who runs 5 - 6” of lift.
My bad, I went with the MRR but meant adjustable shocks in general. Not really pushing any brand but would love to be wowed by the MRR's and be glad to talk about how great they work lol. I thought the link explains the advantages of having the adjustable settings well.

Wow no way! Yeah, the rebound is too soft and the compressor seems ok.

Do BP51 come in a 3" lift and what made you pick those particular shocks?
My lift was already on, and it's about 2.5-3" lift . I could have sworn BP51 comes in that size. They're at the top of my list just because of a solid proven company, and seem well reviewed in AUS which has been doing serious long distance high(er) speed "overlanding" for a very long time. Although I guess if they don't come in 3" I need to start looking again. I know Dobinsons has adjustable shocks too but I think those are $$$$$

Last edited:
I don’t know if an adjustable shock for a 6” lift.

Pretty sure king should be able to do one for you, speak to Ben at Filthy Motorsports

My money is on the shocks. Unfortunately, I have yet to get out on the MRR's. but have high hopes and why I went with them. Coming from a MX background a bad fork/ shock setup can ruin you day, same should apply here.
Hit a couple long trails last year in the 80 and it was the same terrible outcome, beat the heck out of us. After pulling to old OME shocks and able to adjust them easily by hand is a good indication as to why.
Low speed compression setting sounds like your friend.

This video was educational for me, personally:

I learned something!

The Ironman FCP’s are a decent shock for what they are (a step above a nitro charger) but they are not valved right for use with heavy springs where you operate higher in the stroke-rebound is too fast and that’s causing the body roll.

A set of custom valved bypass shocks with remote reservoirs and compression adjusters like Jason pictured earlier set up and valved for your truck weight and driving style/use would be where Id start doing some research. If you have money to burn- buy the King’s- (no better IMO.) These guys can custom valve and tune to your preference

I don’t know if an adjustable shock for a 6” lift.

Are you sure? :)

DOBINSONS PAIR OF REAR MRR 3-WAY ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS FOR TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 80 SERIES 1990-1997 FOR 6-7" OF LIFT(MRA59-A685)​

The Ironman FCP’s are a decent shock for what they are (a step above a nitro charger) but they are not valved right for use with heavy springs where you operate higher in the stroke-rebound is too fast and that’s causing the body roll.

A set of custom valved bypass shocks with remote reservoirs and compression adjusters like Jason pictured earlier set up and valved for your truck weight and driving style/use would be where Id start doing some research. If you have money to burn- buy the King’s- (no better IMO.) These guys can custom valve and tune to your preference

I did a quick add to cart with my specs and for a 3-5" lift for front+rear. This is a with a six month lead time.

1622431921371.png

Are you sure? :)

DOBINSONS PAIR OF REAR MRR 3-WAY ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS FOR TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 80 SERIES 1990-1997 FOR 6-7" OF LIFT(MRA59-A685)​

Well heck! I just put the foam cell pro’s on. I just ran rubicon and Fordyce with them. Better than the old yellow shocks for sure but not adjustable. Thanks for the info. Next time I’ll ask Santa for better shocks. In the meantime I’ll remember that I’m driving farm equipment when I step into my 80.

Well heck! I just put the foam cell pro’s on. I just ran rubicon and Fordyce with them. Better than the old yellow shocks for sure but not adjustable. Thanks for the info. Next time I’ll ask Santa for better shocks. In the meantime I’ll remember that I’m driving farm equipment when I step into my 80.
I know for a fact that Icon, Dobinsons, OME BP-51, and King offer long shocks (all basically have 0-3” shocks and 4-6” shocks). I’m sure you can get Fox set up that way as well.

Last edited:
Heaven help the poor schlup you head-on in a blind curve on the trail.

It only takes one wreck to learn this lesson. I was driving way to fast to get to my camp spot to spend the week scouting for an upcoming elk hunt some years back.

I was driving way to fast but it was before any hunts were open and in an area very few people frequented outside of the hunting seasons. Plus it was a wednesday morning so I did not expect to see anyone.

The road was full of curves and I was going about 50mph through a section full of dense pinion and juniper that was full of blind curves.

Well I came around a bend to find a dodge 3500 parked in the ditch facing me on the wrong side of the road. I tried to swerve to the left side and avoid a head on and he decided to try and get back onto the correct side of the road.

Both of our drivers side front hubs collided and my 4x4 labs front bumper cut a nice slice all the way down the side of his brand new truck. It also busted a tie rod off his knuckle.

My 91 suffered a smashed headlight and bent bumper.

I will never forget the look on the guys face as our front drivers windows passed each other. He was not happy lol.

Even though I felt he was at fault for being parked on the wrong side of the road I also feel like I was at fault for going to fast.

Even though I was able to drive home it still sucked. I gave the guy a 40 mile ride to cell service so he could call the sheriffs, insurance company, and a tow truck. The sheriffs refused to come investigate lol.

I guess that is what he got for driving a 3500 ram with a hemi lol.

Anywase, long story short. It only takes one wreck like this to slow down. I still get paranoid about getting into another wreck like this, especially with the huge increase of side by side idiots here in Utah.

I haven’t read all 4 pages but let me share my experience. I have one cruiser that has ome 2.5 heavies paired with tough dog, which I believe is foam cell, and another cruiser with stage 3 icons. I took my parents, which are sensitive to the situation you mentioned, to king of hammers. On our way home we decided to look for a back road. We traveled hours in the desert. I drove the one with tough dog and the ride was super rough throughout. My parents took the one with icons and they said the ride was good the entire time. Now I don’t know if its the ome springs that made it horrible but im sure the icon with resis made a huge difference.

You're welcome brotha!

Speaking of farm equipment - my 15yo daughter wanted to drive a stick shift. So we headed to a local buddy's house and grabbed his '76 FJ40 with a 4sp and manual everything. She got a REAL close up feel on what a tractor from the '70s drives like. Her arms got a work out. Incidentally, I have a tractor but it's power everything. She was humbled with the effort it took to turn and stop that thing. :rofl: We did something like 35 circles in a school parking lot in 2low.

I haven’t read all 4 pages but let me share my experience. I have one cruiser that has ome 2.5 heavies paired with tough dog, which I believe is foam cell, and another cruiser with stage 3 icons. I took my parents, which are sensitive to the situation you mentioned, to king of hammers. On our way home we decided to look for a back road. We traveled hours in the desert. I drove the one with tough dog and the ride was super rough throughout. My parents took the one with icons and they said the ride was good the entire time. Now I don’t know if its the ome springs that made it horrible but im sure the icon with resis made a huge difference.

This is a real life feedback, thanks for that. Oh and I hope my 15 yo daughter will let me tag with her to KOH......some day!!!

Might you be able to approx the weight of your rig? Mine is at 7k.

It only takes one wreck to learn this lesson. I was driving way to fast to get to my camp spot to spend the week scouting for an upcoming elk hunt some years back.

I'm kinda derailing my own thread but this will be quick. My biggest fear is that a UTV/ATV is going to head on to my ARB bumper on the trails. While I like to haul ass, going around a blind corner with speed is pure stupid for a vehicle like mine. I've had few occasions where I shat my pants as the rear end came around, I won't lie. I keep reminding my 15yo daughter who's been driving my 80 since nine to always be mindful of ATVs and UTVs suddenly appearing around the bend.

Thankfully, I've only had close calls but no collisions.

Meanwhile, we now return you to our regularly scheduled program.:)

The Slee 4” heavy progressive spring has 10 turns of 22mm thick wire.

My Dobinsons 3" heavy linear springs has 9 turns and 20mm thick wire. I hope I counted the rungs correctly but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

1622465759614.png

I'd like some feedback on Slee 4" res shocks, $1000 for a pair

1622465920675.png
1622465973652.png

I know for a fact that Icon, Dobinsons, and King offer long shocks (all basically have 0-3” shocks and 4-6” shocks). I’m sure you can get Fox set up that way as well.
Looks like OME offers the BP "extended length" for taller lifts as well at Cruiseroutfitters

1622469537607.png

While gathering data, I found this Dobinson video to be very educational at explaining cavitation. This applies to all brands of shocks. Also notice how to rebuild a rebuildable shock, a really simple process and a total DIY for the folks in this forum. Understanding/tuning the shim stack is freaking voodoo science to me, I won't lie. I never did get that dialed in for my Bilstein 7100s from the years past. Butt dyno is no match for a shock dyno with an experience user behind the keyboard!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom