How to slow down the 80 from rocking so much while wheeling - body control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally got out on the MRR and 144/145 VT combo and its a huge difference on road. Probably just over 6K in weight here and continuing to add more, I Don't see getting to your top heavy weight but @ about 4" lift here now as advertised on the springs. I'm what I think is lighter in the rear still yet so not sure how much the springs will sag yet and not sure how it would handle your weigh. I'm hoping to get it off road soon but really want nothing to do with the mountains and holiday coming up so may be a bit yet.
I started at a low Dobinson recommended setting and adjusted to a @ 6LS/ 6HS/ 6Rebound so far and see a huge difference( start low setting and increase). Not sure I would max the settings and wondering if it's adding to your problem from lack of spring rate or whatever, then adding too much rebound on top of that? Shocks came with literature and you can find more online related to conditions and settings for the shocks, just takes alot of searching to find it. 30MM Sway bars f/r and panhard correction here if it matters. Came from a 3.5" OME to a 4" and wouldn't turn back, it was some really old springs and shocks tho so I imagine that's a given....

- are you running panhard correction? Certainly looks like the rear is the majority of the sway, and it looks as if it is top-heavy (like the roll center is too low).

- didn't see it in your signature, so I gotta ask.
Yes sir, Delta VS unit. Good question!

I finally got out on the MRR and 144/145 VT combo and its a huge difference on road. Probably just over 6K in weight here and continuing to add more, I Don't see getting to your top heavy weight but @ about 4" lift here now as advertised on the springs. I'm what I think is lighter in the rear still yet so not sure how much the springs will sag yet and not sure how it would handle your weigh. I'm hoping to get it off road soon but really want nothing to do with the mountains and holiday coming up so may be a bit yet.
I started at a low Dobinson recommended setting and adjusted to a @ 6LS/ 6HS/ 6Rebound so far and see a huge difference( start low setting and increase). Not sure I would max the settings and wondering if it's adding to your problem from lack of spring rate or whatever, then adding too much rebound on top of that? Shocks came with literature and you can find more online related to conditions and settings for the shocks, just takes alot of searching to find it. 30MM Sway bars f/r and panhard correction here if it matters. Came from a 3.5" OME to a 4" and wouldn't turn back, it was some really old springs and shocks tho so I imagine that's a given....

Great feedback sir, thank you for typing all that in. So the 144/145VT is something I need to look into, from the sounds of it.

I think Christmas might come sooner this year. 👍🏼 Thanks for the visual aids.

What're you thinking Steve?

I’ll add to this that I think no question @Andrew Bluemel can push it harder with that Whiteline rear swaybar and @LandCruiserPhil heim end link setup than I can.

I think it adds to the lack of need for a high end shock for people who aren’t racing (almost 100% of the people here). I don’t care because I’m not racing and I don’t need more maintenance items that are solutions looking for problems, but one of my questions was “how much of this is the new swaybar and links?” I’d say 20%, in terms of race speed if that’s a thing you’re solving for and probably also for being more top heavy.

I’ve always figured that weight costs direct dollars and even more indirect dollars so I never added anything more than necessary. Don’t need all those heavy ass bumpers if you never hit anything.

I'm back on the computer and watched your vids closely. It looks like you were laughing your ass off when you dumped it :doh:

Andrew is running 3.5" tapered and I really don't know much about these springs so I'll go look them up now.

I drove the 4runner over the weekend while towing the camper. It was nice to have a more stable body going over bumps and a back to back comparo between by rigs.

Reactions: Nay
i enjoyed reading thru this thread. I have another rig (jeep ahem) that suffered a similar fate (fam of 4, RTT, heavy). Since i've put in adjustable shocks and far better rebound control, it has pretty much eliminated the rag doll swaying unless i drive stupid on the rocks then all bets are off. Kinda shows how critical shocks play and how it should be tuned to your rig and use.

My 80 however, similarly loaded, does not have this issue. The NitroShocks seem stiff enough to control the extra body movements in my experience. Hmm maybe i just drive the 80 much slower :). No, but for sure the shocks don't like extended washboard roads, it gets really hot.

What're you thinking Steve?

I'm back on the computer and watched your vids closely. It looks like you were laughing your ass off when you dumped it :doh:

Andrew is running 3.5" tapered and I really don't know much about these springs so I'll go look them up now.

I drove the 4runner over the weekend while towing the camper. It was nice to have a more stable body going over bumps and a back to back comparo between by rigs.
I’m thinking that I need to try out a set of these new and magical 144/145VT coil springs. I wonder when the money will run out???

I’m thinking that I need to try out a set of these new and magical 144/145VT coil springs. I wonder when the money will run out???
ooooh, maybe we can get a twofer?

I finally got around to weigh my 80. She's 500# heavier on the rear, which is expected given how much stuff I got in the cargo area. Based on the videos in this post I'm under sprung in the rear, it seems. I'm also top heavy so that's not helping matters any and I'm asking the MRRs to do too much.

landcruiser weight scale.jpeg

Just finished wheeling with @Broski through the San Juan mountains at Solid Axle Summit. His truck swayed and rocked much less than my heavier, taller truck. Part of the reason may be his anti-roll torsion bar setup. His truck tended to stay more level over obstacles too. After seeing his truck perform so well, I’m considering deleting the rear swaybar and installing a torsion bar setup.

Checkout his build thread.

my heavier, taller truck.

I think the physics of this ^ may have more to do with it in my opinion. Torsion bar setups are a great upgrade if you're not currently running swaybars, but going from stock to one of these, you may see even more body roll. There's a reason Rock Jock makes this disclaimers for their Jeep bolt-on kits:

Caution:
Vehicle will have more body roll than stock. This sway bar may be used on the street, however, it will not provide the same handling characteristics as the stock setup

Time to update this thread with the info I've learned so far.

So, @David Otero is recommending C59-153 rear springs which are rated for 400kg (800lb) of constant load. Unfortunately, they're out of stock until Oct. This is a 3" spring.

Slee is out of their rear heavy progressive 4" springs until xmas/NY holiday.

Ironman 4x4 has a set of rear 4" springs which can handle 1100# of extra weight.

Slinky has a 75mm of heavy duty rear springs but can't get a hold of Milllcreek overland to discuss.

Trail Tailor has "heavy flex" for the rear, sent @TRAIL TAILOR Jason an email

Last edited:
I was unaware that anyone offered a set of rear spring rated to carry 1100# of extra load. That might be your ticket especially if they are available now. You can repaint them “for a few dollars more”.

On the slinky's, I would look at this brief discussion on a failure and service issues as well:

On the slinky's, I would look at this brief discussion on a failure and service issues as well:

Thanks for the link but just a quick glance showed me a failure of the shock, which I'm not interested in. If i'm mistaken, let me know before I go down that rabbit hole!

I was unaware that anyone offered a set of rear spring rated to carry 1100# of extra load. That might be your ticket especially if they are available now. You can repaint them “for a few dollars more”.
agreed, placing order now with 25% off laborday sale.

Too bad the Slee 4” HP aren’t in stock. Which coils are you choosing @alia176

Thanks for the link but just a quick glance showed me a failure of the shock, which I'm not interested in. If i'm mistaken, let me know before I go down that rabbit hole!
I was more concerned with the customer service. Apparently, Millcreek has not been very responsive. and/or is not the distributor in the US any longer.

I was more concerned with the customer service. Apparently, Millcreek has not been very responsive. and/or is not the distributor in the US any longer.
ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for the heads up. They seem to be still selling Icons and did reply to my FB question but not since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom