How to slow down the 80 from rocking so much while wheeling - body control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ll chime in to confuse you even further. I’ve run Dobinson tapered springs, timbrens, and a whiteline rear sway bar and the foam cell pro shocks and just switched over to these shocks in the front and I can tell a massive difference.

My rig is fairly heavy in the front and fairly light in the rear and I was getting bad ‘wallowing’ over high-speed whoops and the front springs were easily bottoming out. I would describe the Foam cell pro shocks as a Lexus or a Cadillac type ride. Mine could’ve been worn out and they work well for wheeling in a light rig but for a heavy rig. I think you need a more heavy duty shock.

Fronts are 15.6” compressed and 27.1” extended. $368 USD a piece. The fronts cost me $765 shipped to Colorado and the rears just cost me $780 for the pair shipped so thinking ~$1,550 for a set of 4. I took a chance on them and so far I’m pretty impressed.

Rears that could fit? 16.7” and 27.6”

There are quite a few different lift heights and travel combos listed and they are pretty hard to search for in my opinion.

Oh man, this is gonna be a good night. Look at those beautiful vixens and they came prepared, no less !

Queue the Barry White music.......

Wait, looks like they already started w/o me :rolleyes: But, no rear end action tonight ladies, as my bum is still sore from the initial acquisition :eek:

Just a warning ladies, @baldilocks might wanna take a crack at y'all, 'cause he's sick and twisted AF. BTW, your besties have already been well taken care of by @Shoredreamer, so don't you worry none. :hillbilly:

1623210473167.png

Last edited:
Oh man, this is gonna be a good night. Look at those beautiful vixens and they came prepared, no less !

Wait, looks like they already started w/o me :rolleyes: But, no rear end action tonight ladies, as my bum is still sore from the initial acquisition :eek:

Just a warning ladies, @baldilocks might wanna take a crack at y'all, 'cause he's sick and twisted AF. BTW, your besties have already been well taken care of by @Shoredreamer, so don't you worry none. :hillbilly:

View attachment 2698523
Imagination gone wild there..... haha Before I order new shocks for the second time in a month, I’m going to put the Slee heavy progressives back in the rear and give the foam cell pro’s another trip.

Queue the Barry White music.......

View attachment 2698523
Just remember to use protection.

And lube

Alright, just got back from five days in UT running the E-hill, Bobby's hole and all that. I've been cranking on the slow comp and rebound knob while driving around at home but after going up/over E-hill I simply maxed out the rebound all the way tight. The slow comp is also cranked hard core, not sure where I ended up and the little wrench was badly NEEDED. When you crank that large knob down, it gets very hard to keep tightening w/o their tool.

I wanted to make sure that my expectations were matching my new reality. I wanted less jarring/wallowing but also wanted more flat body orientation going around corners. I can't have it all, not with this much crap on the roof so the compromise is acceptable to me. The contents of the gear was quieter with these shocks and my new kitchen with foam lined drawers contributed significantly to that end.

This video shows a bouncing body on E-hill: New video by A. Ali - https://photos.app.goo.gl/p6SF1rYntNzQSAk88
More bouncing body on E-hill. Notice the JKR on 2" of lift and less body movements using Bilstein 5100s shocks New video by A. Ali - https://photos.app.goo.gl/i8cQXWy99738wAGs5
This video shows a tighter body on SOB hill: New video by A. Ali - https://photos.app.goo.gl/e5jtnK7GNCtwzMaP7

Another angle on SOB hill: New video by A. Ali - https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gs2pUgkAqdZynPbq9

Last edited:
Alright, just got back from five days in UT running the E-hill, Bobby's hole and all that. I've been cranking on the slow comp and rebound knob while driving around at home but after going up/over E-hill I simply maxed out the rebound all the way tight. The slow comp is also cranked hard core, not sure where I ended up and the little wrench was badly NEEDED. When you crank that large knob down, it gets very hard to keep tightening w/o their tool.

I wanted to make sure that my expectations were matching my new reality. I wanted less jarring/wallowing but also wanted more flat body orientation going around corners. I can't have it all, not with this much crap on the roof so the compromise is acceptable to me. The contents of the gear was quieter with these shocks and my new kitchen with foam lined drawers contributed significantly to that end.

This video shows a bouncing body on E-hill: New video by A. Ali - https://photos.app.goo.gl/p6SF1rYntNzQSAk88
More bouncing body on E-hill. Notice the JKR on 2" of lift and less body movements using Bilstein 5100s shocks New video by A. Ali - https://photos.app.goo.gl/i8cQXWy99738wAGs5
This video shows a tighter body on SOB hill: New video by A. Ali - https://photos.app.goo.gl/e5jtnK7GNCtwzMaP7
But are they worth all the money? Did you feel a significant difference in the sodomized MRR’s and whatever you were running before. Jeeps are light…… there’s that.

I think I'm still getting used to them but the ride is way less harsh from what I'm used to, which were the FCPs. Are they worth the money, still trying to figure that out! These shocks have very little adjustments left with my particular vehicle and my taste in ride quality.

Agreed, JKs are light and he had a lower lift.

I think I'm still getting used to them but the ride is way less harsh from what I'm used to, which were the FCPs. Are they worth the money, still trying to figure that out! These shocks have very little adjustments left with my particular vehicle and my taste in ride quality.

“Your particular vehicle” ?

Super stiff rebound is not ideal, especially in the go fast stuff.

I set mine up for go fast and it does fine in rocks too.

If you have adjustable shocks play with them a lot. When I first started playing with them or if I get a new set I haven’t tried yet I like to go to the extremes on both ends of adjustment, then go to the mid range settings and then do a final dial in to my style if driving and or the particular Cruiser.

Cheers

From what I understand, the adjustment is just a +/- of the base level. The +/- is not a huge amount, maybe 10%. So, if you are at the extreme adjustment end, you may need to have the shock rebuilt to shift the base level closer to what you need so you get some reasonable +/- range back on the adjuster.

I got seasick just watching your 80 decend in the 1st video :)

cheers,
george.

Added another sob hill video

I still remember the first time coming up to that spot, and from a distance, I'm like "...where the hell does the trail go??"

I don't see a bounce movement that I personally would find troublesome, and I'm wondering how much of the movement of the truck is due to aired-down tires? An aired-down tire is essentially an un-dampened spring, and the best shock in the West isn't going to help with that.

It’s wheeling, live with it…… otherwise you go crazy and end up broke. Removing roof mounted stuff might help. It may be time for a stouter spring that won’t leave the shocks with such a big job to do.

Good inputs gents. I don't know if Dobinsons has higher than 440# three inch lift springs.

As I stated, my expectations need to be aligned with my new reality.

Good inputs gents. I don't know if Dobinsons has higher than 440# three inch lift springs.

As I stated, my expectations need to be aligned with my new reality.
As someone mentioned, adjusting the stack can net big results. Need to make a road trip to Idaho.

Ali,
You need a lot more rebound dampening, imo. Do you have timbren bumps in the rear? That helped me a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom