How to: Replacing OEM Subwoofer in 3rd Row (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We just purchased a 2014 Land Cruiser and I am quite disappointed in the sound, particularly the subwoofer. Has anyone replaced the stock JBL sub amp and/or stock JBL subwoofer? I'd like to replace one or both and keep the sub in the factory location so that we don't lose any cargo room. Was hoping someone had a reference for an aftermarket sub with sufficient dimensions such that it will fit the factory location. Thanks!
Try posting in the 200 Series forum. That's your crowd ;) Though you're always welcome here too!
https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/200-series-cruisers.136/

Does it sound better than the OEM speaker? Did u add an amp or keep the stock amp?

I kept the stock amp. I can't tell really, the past OEM speaker had the foam problem for quite too long that I don't remember how it used to sound. But the new one just sounds OK, it doesn't give that as much bass as I would've liked.

Thanks to Ryan Bascom for doing this for me. His Facebook page here has the pictures too.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the Mark Levinson Sub taken out and the Ohm rating of ~13. The replacement Audiopipe speaker as previously mentioned after some resistors getting added to it gets around 12 Ohms before being put back.

This was put into a 2001 LX470.
View attachment 664122View attachment 664124View attachment 664127

I just pulled out the sub in my 04 lx470 and have the same Audiopipe and resistors ready to go but am not sure how specifically to wire them up. Would appreciate some detailed instructions.

Those pictures match the rough drawing someone put up in another thread...

Basic flow is there should be probably only be 2 wires hooked up to the stock sub even if there are 4 on the plug...if you have 4 wires in the enclosure then you should stop and re-evaluate.

1. Positive wire from amp goes to voice coil 1 positive(vc1+)
2. vc1- goes to vc2+ (this is wiring the voice coils in series)
3. Each side of resistor 1(r1) and resistor 2(r2) are hooked up together(they are wired in parallel) You can can think of it as r1+ and r2+ are hooked together and r1- and r2- are hooked together although resistors don't really have polarity, so it really doesn't matter. But the labeling makes it easier to keep track of. The two 20W 8 ohm resistors in parallel combine to act as one 40W 4 ohm resistor.
3. vc2- goes to the combined r1+r2+ (again we are wiring the combined resistor load in series)
4. r1-r2- is hooked to the negative wire from amp.

So we have 3 4 ohm loads(the two voice coils and the combined resistors) which in series will present a ~12 ohm load. Measured out as 11.7 in the picture.

I personally wouldn't hesitate at all to just leave out the resistors initially. This would present an 8 ohm load to the amp. Someone pointed out in another post that their subwoofer was labeled as 6ohms... I didn't do any measurements personally to confirm or deny anything when I pulled out my sub, but I would be quite surprised if the stock amp would have issues with hooking up an 8ohm sub to it. If it does, it will most likely be a high volumes and it will let you know by ceasing to emit sound temporarily. Granted I've only really ever abused aftermarket audio equipment, so there's always the chance it could fry it permanently, so don't let me talk you into something you aren't comfortable with...

Beware LX470 owners! I tried this last night and was surprised to find only 2 wires (red and black) instead of the 4 people are listing here.

It turns out the LX470 uses a 12 ohm speaker for the sub. I should have researched a bit more, but the Pyle in this thread was only $13 so I went for it. Anyway, I wired it up in series which should have provided 8 ohms. That was the best I could figure out last night.

I thought this would be a 1 hour project but it turned into a 3 hour project due to my poor research. Sound is OK but the front speaker replacements were much much better. I may be on the lookout for a more suitable replacement for the LX470 sub in the future if I have time.

What year is your LX? ML? Nak?

Those pictures match the rough drawing someone put up in another thread...

This drawing?

wiring-jpg.1248748

From here: LX470 Speaker Replacement

I want to add a amp & sub to bypass the OEM crapbox, how has this been done.

Last summer I swapped all OEM speakers for the following:
Front doors: Infiniti 6030CS
Rear doors: Infiniti 6032CF
Rear sub: Pyle PLPW6D

I was not happy with the Pyle sub, it sounded like s***. So I want to add an amp and better sub....but not sure how to handle it.

This was extremely easy to fix the subwoofer, just order the kit and refoam it. The ML subwoofer is a very high grade subwoofer, and it's extremely easy to removed. Cost $18 kit. Works perfect now. Just did this over weekend

Last edited:
Just to participate in this write up...all the info was very helpful. I purchased the audiopipe 6" S-RV 4 ohm sub. Had to trim the enclosure once I removed it (following the directions in the post). Followed the Red and Black wires as negative, used wood screws to mount the speaker (holes didn't line up with factory holes in the enclosure) so I screwed new holes North, South, West and East (as oppose to the SW, SE, NE, and NW factory holes). Came out perfect and had no issues with the speaker not working or sounding poorly. I've been driving around for a year with a torn sub, so the audiopipe sounds great. Forget how it sounded before so I can't compare. Thank everyone!

Bought the sub from www.carid.com $35 including shipping.

Just to participate in this write up...all the info was very helpful. I purchased the audiopipe 6" S-RV 4 ohm sub. Had to trim the enclosure once I removed it (following the directions in the post). Followed the Red and Black wires as negative, used wood screws to mount the speaker (holes didn't line up with factory holes in the enclosure) so I screwed new holes North, South, West and East (as oppose to the SW, SE, NE, and NW factory holes). Came out perfect and had no issues with the speaker not working or sounding poorly. I've been driving around for a year with a torn sub, so the audiopipe sounds great. Forget how it sounded before so I can't compare. Thank everyone!

Bought the sub from www.carid.com $35 including shipping.

Amazon has it for $13.

Amazon has it for $13.
I'm a amazon guy, why did I not get it from there???.... strange, could have been the egg nog. I did not use resistors or anything other than the sub. Just had to shave off a bit of the enclosure to make it fit. I thought about using saran wrap and the "great stuff" crack filler to give a nice seal but went with the "best effort" approach. Worked out fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom