How to: Replacing OEM Subwoofer in 3rd Row

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by mtnracer, May 5, 2009.

1. Dozer18

Dozer18 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    FWIW, I did the Pyle 6" sub install last weekend. It might fit without trimming in the LX, but in my '04 LC it required trimming. The sub has to sit flush in the housing; if there is a gap between the frame and enclosure then you have the same issue as having the foam blown out - air is escaping that is not supposed to escape.

I used a dremel with a metal cutting wheel to trim all the way around the edge, about 1/4" in. Didn't take long, was actually a bit fun, and fit very nicely when I bolted it in. As noted, there are four wires to connect: the red and black wires are negative the other two positive.

Does it sound great? No. Don't kid yourself, no 6" sub, much less a $12 one, is going to win any bass competitions. Does it sound better than the blown sub it replaced? Yep. Plus, it was worth it to take the panel off so I can see how much space is back there as I contemplate my drawer and accessory wiring setup that's coming soon.

brizzle likes this.
  2. johsti

johsti

Yes, the door speaker and the sub use the same foam surround.

spaber05 likes this.
  3. ad27326

ad27326

Albums:
    How do you remove the speaker from the box? Pry it open? Need to refoam!!

4. johsti

johsti

Unplug the connector and remove the entire enclosure from the vehicle. Then remove the Torx screws that secure the woofer to the enclosure. You will need to carefully peel back the foam to access the screws.

ad27326 likes this.
  5. Slashzero

Slashzero SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a 2003 LC with blown speakers. Can you use the same 6 inch foam kit for front speakers, rear, and sub? I think my DS tweeter is also blown...

6. jumptrader

jumptrader SILVER Star

I used this set in a 2003 LX470 (Mark Levinson speakers) for the sub - it worked perfectly even though it's advertised for the front door speakers. The seller is quick to answer fit questions, so I recommend reaching out! Good luck - the job is easier than it looks and took me about 2-3 hours from start to finish (and I'm a n00b).

2000-2009 Lexus Lx470 Front Door Speaker Foam Surround Repair Kit 86160-0w270 | eBay

7. Slashzero

Slashzero SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks! Seems like the front, rear and sub are all the same size. I just ordered three sets.

I'd rather pay $25 for a set of two, than $18 for a single one. :) Plus, I'll have one extra in case I screw it up!

I got these ones:
    2000-2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 86160-0W340 Speaker Woofer Foam Repair Kit (Pair) | eBay

8. fooldall1

fooldall1

Albums:
    Can anyone recommend a good non-oem speakers/subs for the 2k Hundy Subwoofer? If I recall, the 2k has 2 4 inch subs?

9. labcab

labcab

Media:
    Albums:
    fooldall1 likes this.
  10. fooldall1

fooldall1

Albums:
  11. fooldall1

fooldall1

Albums:
    @labcab How do they compare to the OEM in terms of sound and performance? Same, better?

12. labcab

labcab

Media:
    Albums:
    A friend gave me a big box, amp and two 12” woofers that I used for a little while. They don’t compare to that kind of setup, but they crush the OEMs. I’ve now got them wired up to an aftermarket amp. They put out way more bass than I care for and sound really good.

13. CloudCity

CloudCity

The front door lower speakers and the subwoofer all use the same 6" foam kit, the rear doors are a smaller 5" size.
    You can buy the 6" kit in pairs or as a single piece, tho the price difference isn't huge so I opted to buy two pairs and have an extra foam.
    I do advise adding on one order of the optional "Foam Guard Liquid Sealer" because it is different than the adhesive that's already included in the kits. The adhesive is a contact-cement type that goes on amber, but the sealer is in a small squeeze bottle and goes on white but dries clear, it is used to "toughen up" the speaker foam by essentially creating a layer of rubberized material that will keep the foam holding together much longer than the foam by itself. You assemble the foam part and once cured you brush the sealer on the entire foam piece.

Here's the current listing for speaker foams from Simply Speakers for the LX 470. I truly cannot say enough good things about this company's promptness in replying to questions, sending units out, returns are a snap. Good people and a good product.

Simply Speakers, Lexus LX 470 foam kits

Finally, if nobody else mentioned this yet, there's also a screw hidden under the rear cargo net upper plastic hook that needs to be removed before you can pull the subwoofer panel out.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Slashzero likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.