How to: Replacing OEM Subwoofer in 3rd Row (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just pulled my sub box out from the 01 TLC and going to try this
Anyone figure out the wiring yet +/- green/black red/yellow?
Not sure which is which to wire the DVC sub
Also want to make sure I have it set up in 8ohm from the beginning

Boy have I been working on my cruiser a lot since I joined this forum ************, thanks for the writeups guys! I will try to contribute with this sub, take some pictures, and see how it goes, only $22 on ebay shipped

Hi guys, got the pyle sub in today and going to give it a shot this weekend, wanted to ask again
Anyone figure out the wiring yet +/- green/black red/yellow?

Thanks for the help!!

OK so thought I would post a little more information from my experience
1) I tried the Pyle Sub $20 on ebay and worked great!
Model PLPW6D
2) I did have to modify the sub box (thank you for the instructions)
3) Connections made on each side of the Dual voice coil were as follows in my setup
Yellow/Red combo (yellow+ / red-)
Black/Green combo (black+ / green-)
4) After cutting for fit and sanding - I found that removing all the foam, laying a sheet of dynamat over the box, and then trimming around the mat outside and in the center allowed for a good fit and seal to the new sub.

Here are pictures of the final installation with the dynamat
Note that I hooked up all 4 wires and sub is working fine

IMG_20130105_124241_zps33c7ad49.jpg

IMG_20130105_124231_zpsb837489f.jpg

My '06 LX Mark Levinson sub didn't sound right so I took it out and wha-da-ya-know, the foam is torn.

I will try and glue it together and see if that will work. If not, I will replace it with something else.

I am still on the fence as far as specs. 6.5 inch - 7.5 ohm - 25w right?

IMG_2601.jpg

The glue seems to work. It sounds normal again. Cheap fix, I hope it lasts. :)

I measured the woofer for future reference...

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

i really wish i would have read this thread before i started in, but 6 mons later here's what i have learned & done.

my 02 ML sub was blown and partially seized the voice coil. not salvageable so the hunt began. i ended up with one JL6 with the factory box, kind of. after a bit of calculation i laser cut 4 abs sheets as an adapter/spacer to give the huge magnet some room in the factory box. hijacked the factory wires and added an arc audio amp near the jack. a TON of rattle chasing & soundproofing later, as this thing now kicks some butt (often mistaken for a 12" by people). i added 1" abs to the factory grill to space it out, recovered in new fabric, and voila. looks almost stock and sounds 1000x better.

so yes, it was a hassle and cost a lot more than a $50 ebay bolt in, but very worth it if you take your music seriously.

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4041.jpg

Just a review of these guys:

http://www.sliceinc.com/

They did a good and fast job reconing my sub. They've been around 20 years and specialize in speaker repair. Pricing was reasonable.

photo spkr.jpg

I need to do this fix too. It doesn't look like it from the pics, but does anyone believe there's enough room to adapt a low profile 8" sub to the stock enclosure?

So I've been dreading tearing into this, but my factory sub has been sounding awful with a serious rattling coming from the sub - even my kids complain.

I got into it tonight hoping all I'd have to do is a simple RTV glue job on the foam or cone. Nope.

It all came apart fine. Thanks for the instructions. There were 3 surprises.

1. There's (2) 4-5" speakers there. They are OEM. Maybe I missed it, but everything I've seen here refers to a single dual voice coil speaker. This Hundy is a 2000 model. There's a 2" air port on the box.

2. There were no tears or damage to either one. I fired up some NIne Inch Nails - loud - and the speakers functioned properly.

3. I buttoned it back up with a few pesky clips but I got em. Cranked the tunes back up and it sounds better than it has in the 2.5 years I've owned it.

Maybe there was an errant connection? Maybe a loose clip? There was some loose insulation. Dunno but I'm knocking on wood right now.

image-3896626370.jpg

So I've been dreading tearing into this, but my factory sub has been sounding awful with a serious rattling coming from the sub - even my kids complain.

I got into it tonight hoping all I'd have to do is a simple RTV glue job on the foam or cone. Nope.

It all came apart fine. Thanks for the instructions. There were 3 surprises.

1. There's (2) 4-5" speakers there. They are OEM. Maybe I missed it, but everything I've seen here refers to a single dual voice coil speaker. This Hundy is a 2000 model. There's a 2" air port on the box.

2. There were no tears or damage to either one. I fired up some NIne Inch Nails - loud - and the speakers functioned properly.

3. I buttoned it back up with a few pesky clips but I got em. Cranked the tunes back up and it sounds better than it has in the 2.5 years I've owned it.

Maybe there was an errant connection? Maybe a loose clip? There was some loose insulation. Dunno but I'm knocking on wood right now.
They are both 2 ohm, 4" speakers and are impossible to find. I plan on just extending their leads to a dual voice coil bazooka tube mounted in the back corner. Somthing like this that I can easily return if it doesn't sound right:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_204BT6DVC/Bazooka-BT6024DVC.html?tp=112
I dont need a lot of bass but like a little thump at times :steer:
Here are some pics from when I took them out to try to find replacements.

Last edited:
I'm half way there to my solution to fitting these two 6 3/4" subs in the stock enclosure. It aint pretty but it should work. I plan to seal up all the gaps with some generic dynamite. It might have been easier to make a new enclosure to fit in that tight space but I doubt it.

Are you sure you are going to use dynamite to seal the gaps? :lol:
You might want to use Dynamat, less tricky.

After looking into speaker options for my '00 LX, I finally found a higher end option. CDT is making a DVC 4 ohm 6.5" speaker that I'm hoping can replace my 2 4.5" "subs" :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if I can wire them parallel to drop resistance to 2 ohms without amplifier issues (Nakamichi)? If it will be an issue, I'll just connect each channel in the DVC separately.

I need to wait for some sound deadener to come in before the install, but I hope to start in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you updated

image.jpg

Well, let it be known, it's definitely possible to fit the aforesaid kicker 6 3/4" subs in the stock enclosure but it took ALOT more trimming and bracket building than I had originally anticipated. In retrospect, I would have probably just tried to build a custom enclosure but my imagination is definitely preventing me from figuring out something that would fit in that tight space. It still looks stock and that's all I really cared about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom