How to install A/C in a 1st Gen Pickup/4Runner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great write up man! The only thing I will mention is that you want your TXV bulb directly against your suction line
(no insulators) the TXV (expansion valve) needs to read the true temp of that suction line in order to accurately meter refrigerant into the evaporator coil. The heat shrink will slightly skewer the effectiveness and efficiency of your system. I wouldn’t worry about it now but for anyone in the future. I think if you wrap it tight enough you shouldn’t have a concern about a rub through.

Im using my 86 4runners factory ac system with a VW engine. My factory wiring harness is shot so I'm doing wiring wiring from scratch. I intend to run my AC off a 30 amp relay. I have a question on wiring in the low pressue cut off, is the low pressue cut off a normally open or normally closed switch? Also is it designed to have ground or 12v go through it? Im not sure if i need it to feed a ground to my relay or the the 12v "on switch" to my relay?

Im using my 86 4runners factory ac system with a VW engine. My factory wiring harness is shot so I'm doing wiring wiring from scratch. I intend to run my AC off a 30 amp relay. I have a question on wiring in the low pressure cut off, is the low pressure cut off a normally open or normally closed switch? Also is it designed to have ground or 12v go through it? Im not sure if i need it to feed a ground to my relay or the the 12v "on switch" to my relay?

I would think you will still need the AC amplifier to control the system which is what the low pressure switch is wired to.

To answer your question. The low pressure switch is normally closed when the system is charged with refrigerant. It appears to have 12v going through it once the AC button is pressed.

ac wiring.png

Last edited:
What exactly does the amplifier do? The reason I ask is it appears, i think, I should be able to delete this. The idle pick up and warm up relay seem to deal with the anemic 22re original found in the 4 4runner. I won't have those power issues.

What exactly does the amplifier do? The reason I ask is it appears, i think, I should be able to delete this. The idle pick up and warm up relay seem to deal with the anemic 22re original found in the 4 4runner. I won't have those power issues.

The AC amplifier is crucial as it is the control for when the compressor starts and stops using the thermistor in the evap box, otherwise your evaporator will form ice, freeze up, and possibly crack. It also performs idle up duties. My 4runner doesn't have the warm up relay shown in the prior diagram.

acampdesc.JPG
ac-amp-front.jpg

Last edited:
Is it the thermo resistor that cuts the power to the AC before freezes or is it the thermo resistor? I think one cuts the compressor if you were to be low on charge so it doesnt get so hot you burn the compressor and the other prevents freezing.

I won't have a 22re ecu to feed the signal to the amplifier not a cool being that I have a diesel. I'm trying to figure out how to fool the amplifier and bench test this. Forgive me for dumb questions as my only experience with AC install at this point has been in a boat. My thermo resistor on the boat kills the compressor before freezing and the sensor in the expansion valve kills the compressor if it gets too hot(like sucking mud into the water intake)

My diesel ecu will have an output so the AC clutch isn't engaged during start up. The idle control is also built into the ecu programming as it will maintain idle rpms with the extra load.

Screenshots_2021-02-14-11-39-10.png

Is it the thermo resistor that cuts the power to the AC before freezes or is it the thermo resistor? I think one cuts the compressor if you were to be low on charge so it doesnt get so hot you burn the compressor and the other prevents freezing.

I won't have a 22re ecu to feed the signal to the amplifier not a cool being that I have a diesel. I'm trying to figure out how to fool the amplifier and bench test this. Forgive me for dumb questions as my only experience with AC install at this point has been in a boat. My thermo resistor on the boat kills the compressor before freezing and the sensor in the expansion valve kills the compressor if it gets too hot(like sucking mud into the water intake)

My diesel ecu will have an output so the AC clutch isn't engaged during start up. The idle control is also built into the ecu programming as it will maintain idle rpms with the extra load.
The Toyota system just uses a thermistor in the evap box which is basically just a thermometer(temp sensor) for the AC amp to control freeze/thaw cycle by cycling the compressor on/off . The AC amp is the control for the AC system and can't be removed unless another similar control was used.
The input from the 22RE ECU you referred to is actually just the tach signal input coming from the ignitor. I have not tested whether the AC amp will still function without this input (it might). I have not played around with diesel swaps so I don't know what type of tach signal is used or how to modify it to work with the AC amp.
I understand that you don't need the idle up feature so you can ignore that part of the wiring.
I think it's doable to integrate the AC amp into your system.

Last edited:
Thank you! So long as know how the thermo and pressure switch work I can bypass or fool the amplifier. If both switches are n/c they will be easy to wire into a 5 prong relay, run them inline to the switch power feed for the relay. I will still have the safety cut off features to not blow out all the o rings in the AC system as well as avoiding burning up a compressor if it freezes. Im trying to keep the wiring simple. 2 relays for the AC system, one for the secondary electric fan that excites when AC is on and one for the compressor. I'm using a painless 70s gm pickup wiring harness assembly to rewire the entire rig. I love yotas, Hondas and my VW diesels but they make things like electrical systems overly complicated at times! If you can diagnose a 1996 Murray riding lawnmower electrical issue you can diagnose a 70s GMC electrical issue.

Great write up man! The only thing I will mention is that you want your TXV bulb directly against your suction line
(no insulators) the TXV (expansion valve) needs to read the true temp of that suction line in order to accurately meter refrigerant into the evaporator coil. The heat shrink will slightly skewer the effectiveness and efficiency of your system. I wouldn’t worry about it now but for anyone in the future. I think if you wrap it tight enough you shouldn’t have a concern about a rub through.

Solid advice - that would make sense. I'll update the post!

Compressor

I highly recommend buying a new/re manufactured compressor if you’re going to be doing this install. It would be horrible to go through all this work only to find out the compressor you have is leaking. I bought mine at AutoZone, and since I got the A/C install kit which came with the drier, expansion valve, and A/C schrader valves I qualify for a lifetime warranty on it – which is awesome!

When you buy your new compressor put it next to your old one so you can make sure it’s the same. You’re going to notice that your new compressor doesn’t have the fitting for the A/C lines to go.

gE4vvF.jpg

You’re going to need to remove those fitting off of the old compressor and install them on the new one. To remove them you’re going to need a #7 metric allen key and a socket to break those screws loose. Once they’re loose, take them out and they’re going to pop right off the old compressor. You’re also going to remove the caps on the new compressor.

ZA29nh.jpg

oPIW2U.jpg

qayXFg.jpg

Zfc9ao.jpg

With these fittings off I cleaned them off with some brake cleaner and a rag. DO NOT use any type of brush to clean these. You don’t want to scuff the mating surface where they meet the new compressor. Replace the O-Rings on these and reinstall them on your new compressor.

ur2cjW.jpg

sj1nNR.jpg

Also on the line fittings are two valves which are used to charge the system with Freon. Using a valve core removal tool remove these valves and replace them with the ones provided in the kit. I also installed my R134a conversion fittings on the compressor as well.

aaBjqB.jpg

The compressor that I bought had no oil inside of it. After reading the FSM it calls for 2.0 – 3.4 fl oz of PAG oil in the system. I’m going to be putting in 2.9 oz (86 ml) of oil in my system as I feel that should be sufficient. Using a ML pouring cup I poured 40 ML into the suction side of the compressor and turned the clutch. The compressor has markings on each side so you know which is which. I’m going to put the remaining 46 ML of PAG oil in the drier to ensure that the system is properly lubricated per the compressor manufacturer’s instructions.

9gb0VH.jpg

Once the compressor is oiled and everything is good to go, attach it to the A/C bracket on the side of the engine block using 4 M8 x 1.25 x 90 bolts with a washer. KLF kept the original A/C bracket on the engine and had it fitted with a custom bracket for the York compressor he was going to use on his OBA system. I had to remove some studs on the bracket before I was able to bolt on my compressor. If your truck never had A/C, you’re going to need to install the correct bracket on your engine block. The bracket that I have on my 22RE has the idler pulley right below it.

dvMpO7.jpg

TsYCd0.jpg

Once you’ve bolted on the compressor, you’re ready to move on to installing the condenser.
What is the make/model for this new compressor? I am also looking for the manifolds that bolt on top....bought an 87 with lines which look exactly like yours, but I can't seem to find the manifolds to go with a new compressor. Any leads? Thanks in advance.

What is the make/model for this new compressor? I am also looking for the manifolds that bolt on top....bought an 87 with lines which look exactly like yours, but I can't seem to find the manifolds to go with a new compressor. Any leads? Thanks in advance.
If you are talking about these I have an extra pair, no caps. Hit me offline.

1625661952179.png

I pulled mine off of the original compressor I bought - but sounds like @pappy has got you covered!

Currently running into the same problem with my 87. Pulled a harness from a 86 thinking it would work. Ive been all over the internet trying to see what that 5th pin goes to to see if i can just make my own harness. I looked though my Chilton Toyota Manual and its not much help. Also junk truck in my area are scarce on 87 pickups. Any way you could upload some more pics of the harness???

I am trying to find rhe vsv location. 86 runner. Is this something that came with the truck or do I need to purchase to be able to add ac. This write up doesn't really state. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom