How to install A/C in a 1st Gen Pickup/4Runner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great write up! I'm in the process of replacing the a/c evap core/compressor/condensor in my 86 T4R.
I have one question for you, where did you get your O-Rings from?

Great write up! I'm in the process of replacing the a/c evap core/compressor/condensor in my 86 T4R.
I have one question for you, where did you get your O-Rings from?
I got them on Amazon! I just bought a big kit

I was doing some research and I guess in pre 88 the low side compressor fitting faced left and 88 and up it faced straight. Incase anyone was wondering

9495800011_d4c5cf54f7_c.jpg

manifold_31c2cc986ff159f4a9ab5fdb1277540b5efa6ceb.jpg

Talk about some déjà vu...

Back at it again on my friend's 85. This truck wasn't fitted for A/C like my 87 was so I'll outline any of the additional steps needed here as well. Should be even easier the second time right?

p1W0Lc.jpg

vNksKB.jpg

Damn, that's a clean rig! Definitely get that Xtra cab envy anytime I see one in the cream color. Post more pics of that thing! Especially curious about the rear shock setup on that rig. Looks like ADS shocks. I have those on my front but I've been wanting to add a set to the rear of my rig but have been trying to figure out how I am gong to mount them.... Thanks!

Damn, that's a clean rig! Definitely get that Xtra cab envy anytime I see one in the cream color. Post more pics of that thing! Especially curious about the rear shock setup on that rig. Looks like ADS shocks. I have those on my front but I've been wanting to add a set to the rear of my rig but have been trying to figure out how I am gong to mount them.... Thanks!

It's a really nice truck, original paint too! The bed is currently getting repaired as it had a big dent in it so it'll look even better once I'm done with my AC install.

I'm going to work on getting the evaporator box in tonight so I'll snap some pics of the shock setup. He is running ADS Shocks

Should be looks like you have everything you need right?
Yup! He did a great job tracking everything down. Hoping to at least have the evaporator box mounted inside tonight.

Which one of these did he get part #
I have 88606-32010 in my files. But, I also seem to recall somebody saying the L-R connections were reversed.

I have 88606-32010 in my files. But, I also seem to recall somebody saying the L-R connections were reversed.
That's what I used also but it has 1 less nozzle. Also when my truck ac isn't on there is like a static noise air coming from the vsv. When I turn on ac it turns off? Could I possibly have these vacuum lines reversed coming from the diaphragm

That's what I used also but it has 1 less nozzle. Also when my truck ac isn't on there is like a static noise air coming from the vsv. When I turn on ac it turns off? Could I possibly have these vacuum lines reversed coming from the diaphragm
Likely reversed. I seem to recall doing that.

Here's some pics of the shock setup, looks like he had a custom crossmember made up and then custom lower shock mounts. Really nice welds and well done.

fMSkmY.jpg

TNeaJi.jpg

Vtjsv8.jpg

That's the right one!

I guess I had a leg up when I did the A/C install the first time as the 87 did come from the factory with A/C. This made my job easier as the holes were drilled for the evaporator, the A/C bracket was bolted on & Ken left all the VSV/Idle up stuff in place. This 85 has never had A/C, so I'm basically installing it as they would from the factory.

Although there are some conflicting reports out there, every 84-89 Toyota pickup came from the factory with provisions for A/C. A/C was installed at the dealerships once they arrived here and it was designed to be an easy job.

The first thing I did was drill out the holes for the evaporator and the condensation drain hose. There are three dimples on the firewall near the passenger side. If you remove the charcoal canister you will have better access to them. Here are the dimples for the hard lines of the evaporator to go through. I used a spring loaded center punch right in the middle of each prior to drilling to make sure I had mine centered. You only have one chance to do this right.

vbCw2w.jpg

Here is the third dimple for the condensation line. On the inside of the cab you're going to peel back the carpet and you'll see some black matting against the firewall. Peel it up about a half inch and you'll see this dimple pressed out. Hit it with a center punch and drill it from the inside with a 1/2" drill bit, then use a step up bit to get it large enough to just barely fit the line and a grommet.

s8oOHl.jpg

Here are the holes after they've been drilled. Take your time and watch that fuel line!

gfwWJE.jpg

Another evaporator & expansion valve pic. Only thing I did differently this time was zip tie the connection tight on the low pressure switch. The new Denso ones don't have the middle piece that keeps the clip in place. On the 87 I just ran it. Maybe I'm evolving.

LL0HCj.jpg

Test fit with the evaporator box - going to re-foam it before I put it in and didn't have any last night. Everything fit perfectly!

e3QufS.jpg

RiLuqH.jpg

I'll re-foam the evaporator box, install it and then onto the compressor and bracket.

If your 22RE didn't have a compressor bracket mounted, you're going to need to find one from an 80's pickup. I know there were a few different compressors that came on these trucks but both of the 22RE's I've installed A/C on I've used this bracket

Leuxhv.png

It mounts with three M10 X 1.25 X 25 flange bolts that go through the side on the block and four bolts that go through the timing cover. Here are the three bolts on the side:

8tOmYG.jpg

Here are the four on the front of the timing cover:

uNGmsd.jpg

yFJRpm.jpg

Not the best pics but if you line up the three holes on the side of the block you'll see which ones are interfering with the compressor bracket. As the compressor bracket is about another 1/4" thicker on the block you'll need to get longer screws for the timing cover. The ones I used are:

2 M10 X 1.25 X 70 with washer
1 M8 X 1.25 X 45 flange bolt
1 M8 1.25 X 60 flange bolt

It's always a good idea to put a little Toyota FIPG on the threads before putting it through the timing cover to help prevent leaks.

You can then attach the compressor with 4 M8 x 1.25 x 90 bolts with a washer.

Once you have the compressor mounted it's really just following the steps outlined in the original writeup. I was able to get everything installed last night on this rig. Denso condensers are NLA so he sourced an aftermarket which seems to be of decent quality and all the lines and holes lined up pretty closely. It didn't come with the bushings to mount it but I got some M6 bolts with grommets and fender washers to mount it.

TCwdBv.jpg

You'll notice that the drier in the above picture looks a little crusty, and it's because I didn't install the new one.

The hardest part about this entire job is sourcing the parts needed for it and I ran into a small snafu as the high side manifold was incorrect. The schrader valve goes straight up instead of out in front which interferes with the fitting for the low side line. Long story short, I'm not able to put a charging valve on it to monitor the high side. Luckily we could still charge from the low side port, but he is looking for the right manifold so that it can be done correctly.

Driers aren't supposed to be exposed to air for long periods of time, so until we get the proper manifolds/or the order to screw it and charge it this is where it stands.

NOof2m.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom