How to install A/C in a 1st Gen Pickup/4Runner (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am trying to find rhe vsv location. 86 runner. Is this something that came with the truck or do I need to purchase to be able to add ac. This write up doesn't really state. Thanks
Bottom of this picture.
AC VSV idle up-sm.jpg

Bottom of this picture.
Thank you for the reply from my attached pic mine doesn't have that. The other idle up vsv. Where does that plug into and where do the vacuum lines run? I see one goes to the diaphragm what about the other? Also I can't seem to fins the diaphragm anywhere I found one for a yota van looks very similar.

Here is the link I wonder if it would work just the same. Thank you for any help

20231023_164119.jpg

Screenshot_20231023_171250_Samsung Internet.jpg

On the 1986 trucks there are only two VSVs. One is for the AC, if you have it. The second is for the fuel pressure regulator, located at the back of the engine, mounted to the top of the rocker arm cover, behind the EGR modulator.

As far as where the AC VSV plugs in, the harness will support the VSV even if you don't have AC. It's probably tucked under the plenum. The original AC VSV would have a short pigtail, the harness would plug into that. With the VSV I have, a replacement, I had to make a short extension to reach the harness. That is what you drew in the red circle.

Part numbers:

88606-32010, Idle-Up Diaphragm, $42.15 list, ~$31.68 discount.
88690-22470, AC VSV, $30.57 list, ~$22.98 discount.

Something I should also mention. The Idle-Up Diaphragm is not just for the AC. It also works with the power steering. On the PS pump there is a pressure switch. Looking at the picture you shared I can't really tell what is going on. It looks like your PS switch is plumbed differently without the diaphragm.

On the 1986 trucks there are only two VSVs. One is for the AC, if you have it. The second is for the fuel pressure regulator, located at the back of the engine, mounted to the top of the rocker arm cover, behind the EGR modulator.

As far as where the AC VSV plugs in, the harness will support the VSV even if you don't have AC. It's probably tucked under the plenum. The original AC VSV would have a short pigtail, the harness would plug into that. With the VSV I have, a replacement, I had to make a short extension to reach the harness. That is what you drew in the red circle.

Part numbers:

88606-32010, Idle-Up Diaphragm, $42.15 list, ~$31.68 discount.
88690-22470, AC VSV, $30.57 list, ~$22.98 discount.

Something I should also mention. The Idle-Up Diaphragm is not just for the AC. It also works with the power steering. On the PS pump there is a pressure switch. Looking at the picture you shared I can't really tell what is going on. It looks like your PS switch is plumbed differently without the diaphragm.

This is how my lines go from the power steering. To make the ac work I need to add the diaphragm and vsv correct?

Screenshot_20231023_180128_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply from my attached pic mine doesn't have that. The other idle up vsv. Where does that plug into and where do the vacuum lines run? I see one goes to the diaphragm what about the other? Also I can't seem to fins the diaphragm anywhere I found one for a yota van looks very similar.

Here is the link I wonder if it would work just the same. Thank you for any help

That diaphragm looks a bit different, opposite connections and no power steer connector. could probably be customized to work though.

idleup.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @pappy! Ken had left the VSV in place for an OBA system. Appreciate you filling the gaps on that!

Sorry for all the questions over the weekend I was able to get 2 evaporator boxes. I took both actuators out the green one is off a 85 pickup and the other I'm not sure the year could be 85-86 but it was a pickup/camper. Is there a difference between the 2. Also pulled out both 4 pin harness that came off the evaporator box.

20231024_171856.jpg

Sorry for all the questions over the weekend I was able to get 2 evaporator boxes. I took both actuators out the green one is off a 85 pickup and the other I'm not sure the year could be 85-86 but it was a pickup/camper. Is there a difference between the 2. Also pulled out both 4 pin harness that came off the evaporator box.

Good question. There seems to be an extra pin (1) on the AC Amp with the white plug. I have the 85 green plug one as below.

ac-amp-front.jpg
acampdesc.JPG
ac wiring.png

this thread could shed some light.

this thread could shed some light.

Thank you. So I bought a reman denso compressor. It is filled with r12 oil but I want to convert to r134a. I've been doing some rea d research but don't have a definitive answer on how to get all the oil of the compressor. How would I go about converting. Also would it be better to use ester oil instead of pag?I will be using a new dryer, condenser, evaporator.

20231027_222037.jpg

Thank you. So I bought a reman denso compressor. It is filled with r12 oil but I want to convert to r134a. I've been doing some rea d research but don't have a definitive answer on how to get all the oil of the compressor. How would I go about converting. Also would it be better to use ester oil instead of pag?I will be using a new dryer, condenser, evaporator.
Take the top off of the compressor. Tip it over and let all the oil drain out. Refill with PAG using the amounts in the FSM.

So I am at a standstill with this ac project I've done most the work only to find out that my ac manifold is facing the wrong way. This manifold came off a 87 the red side is correct but the blue I won't be able to get the hose on. Is there a different type of rubber hose or does anyone have the other manifold.?

1705355275095215697478779887216.jpg

So I am at a standstill with this ac project I've done most the work only to find out that my ac manifold is facing the wrong way. This manifold came off a 87 the red side is correct but the blue I won't be able to get the hose on. Is there a different type of rubber hose or does anyone have the other manifold.?

View attachment 3533914
Looks like you've got the wrong manifolds as they are supposed to be at a 90 degree angle. Yours look like they go straight out.

sj1nNR.jpg

The one with the the red cap is at a 90 but blue isn't. Is there a 90* adapter?
I don't think so and wouldn't trust doing that anyways. You could have a A/C shop make a custom line or you could bite the bullet and buy the right manifolds on eBay..I can't believe I even found some for sale.

I don't think so and wouldn't trust doing that anyways. You could have a A/C shop make a custom line or you could bite the bullet and buy the right manifolds on eBay..I can't believe I even found some for sale.

Yeah I was looking at that one and I went ahead and got it. There are 2 other compressors on ebay that has them if anyone is looking or you can buy new from dealer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom