How fast is a 2F supposed to be (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So what's the deal with Trollholes video? Was it actually fast? What'd he do to the motor if he actually has a "fast" 2F?

ok, so what did you do to it? what kind of mileage are you getting?

I want one now.:crybaby:

Just do a search for Big Gay 2f. You will find my thread.

Mileage is around 18 on the highway if I keep it around 60-65. That's on 35" tires.

So what's the deal with Trollholes video? Was it actually fast? What'd he do to the motor if he actually has a "fast" 2F?

Bored, balanced, cam'd, decked, shaved, fuel injected.

That's all. Nothing like what Matt has done though.

Start around the 2 min mark.

TrollHole,

I think the world needs another video... To keep those of use inspired who want to keep our 2Fs- and in my case rebuild it one of these days to perform similarly to yours. In fact maybe a couple! One of the Big Gay fourwheeling? And another one of you driving it down the road where maybe we could see the road and the occasional speedo shot? C'mon man! Please?:popcorn::D

i get 17 to 18 keeping around 60 acceleration isnt too terrible for what it is with 35's
I have a weber carb and header on mine

I've got basically the same setup as big gay except i'm running a weber instead of tbi. Bored, balanced, head shaved, cammed, header... It's not what I would ever call "fast" but it's surprisingly quick for what it is. I get 12-14mpg on the highway at 70 and due to the balancing job it's as smooth as can be. It was very expensive to build though. My mustang will need a rebuild in a year or two and i'm certain I can build a healthy aluminum headed SBF for about the same as I spent on my 2F.

15-20 seconds to 30 is long. I don't own a 40, but my FJ62 will motor to 60mph within 15 seconds. It's a drag racer. :D

31's
2F-E
auto trans

I have roughly the same engine as Ron, only with Marshall's improvements. Killer engine for a 2F-E. 35" tires into a 5 speed. When I get on the freeway I start in 2nd to get it rolling, shift to 3rd, where I wind it out to 4K rpm, then shift directly into 5th to start cruising.

For those of us that don't see the value in dropping a few G's into a boat anchor, we will continue to drive 2F's that can barely get out of their own way.

Guilty. I have no regrets. None. Someday I'll do a video like Marshall's. :grinpimp:

Mileage is around 18 on the highway if I keep it around 60-65. That's on 35" tires.

How? I get 13 on a good day. I get 12 on a bad day.

I have roughly the same engine as Ron, only with Marshall's improvements. Killer engine for a 2F-E. 35" tires into a 5 speed. When I get on the freeway I start in 2nd to get it rolling, shift to 3rd, where I wind it out to 4K rpm, then shift directly into 5th to start cruising.

Guilty. I have no regrets. None. Someday I'll do a video like Marshall's. :grinpimp:

Having the proper A/F ratio is my only explanation. Wide band meter help a lot in tuning.

Last edited:

Ditching the antique trap door AFM would be a start. I know the toyota ECM/system isnt friendly to ditching it, but I will guarantee that is part of the issue. they just arent accurate.

On a slow Dec morning, I think Xmas day, I took it up to 85mph and cruised for some time. My biggest fear... Will the top stay on?. My 81 is bone stock with 2F, 4sp, 3:73 diff. It only takes parts shipped by CDan.

Proof, made this clip from my cell phone.

15-20 seconds to 30 is long. I don't own a 40, but my FJ62 will motor to 60mph within 15 seconds. It's a drag racer. :D

31's
2F-E
auto trans

I have a very similar set-up to Tonkota's (and Pappy's) in my 62 (29s, 2FE, auto with upgraded valve body).

I haven't done a speed run with mine since it's had a good break in, but within days of installing it, it was hitting 100 km/h (62 mph) in under 16 seconds.

according to JimS: "that blue 40 sure hauls ass" :steer: :lol:

it can do 85mph and still a bit more downhill, but 85 is the limit for "criminal speed" in Arizona, and I have vouched to never ever go to traffic school again :doh:

On a 16 year old rebuild, 2F, all the smog crap, 31" tires, 4/11 gears, I can run 60mph all day. I usually run 55-58 mph because it just feels good. I just learned to slow down and enjoy the ride and also enjoy everybody giving me a thumbs up when they pass me. Only once did I get the finger, and 20 miles down the road I passed the dude. He was pulled over to the side of the road with his hood up. I gave him a honk and returned his jesture.

Based on the physics...

A 2F, without a cruiser around it, should be able to free-fall at around 250-280 mph, depending on how much is still bolted to the block. And getting infinity mpg, too.

Just wondering has there been a Dyno on either one of them? If so does anyone know the figures?
Mucho Coolo

As long as it is faster than a bogged Nissan....who cares?

I believe Trollhole did put his truck on a chassis dyno. Someday I would like to do the TBI conversion on mine and put in an H55F with a split case. I'll bet I could see 20mpg out of that combo. Then I could actually afford to drive the thing. A balanced 2F is a beautiful thing though. It's really amazing how smooth they can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom