Big Muddy's Buildup... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

twoturtlesracing

Slowwly but surely...
Threads
Hello fellow Cruiserheads!

I decided to start my buildup thread so I can document as I go. It's probably going to be a little slow, but hopefully it'll be steady!

I've been a fan of 'Cruisers since I rode in one when I was three or four years old as my Dad and Mom test drove one. I distinctly remember thinking that the jump seats were cool because they faced towards the center- unlike all the heeps my folks had owned. As I grew up, I never lost interest and looked at them every chance I got, but when I was ready to buy a daily driver, I didn't have one in my sights and decided on a Mini Truck instead, that, especially as a carpenter, made more sense. The truck served me well and I had a lot of fun wheeling it, but I eventually needed to get something I could tow with, so I bought a Dodge cummins and eventually had to sell the mini. I still loved 'Cruisers though, and everytime I saw one sitting in a field, I stopped and asked if it was for sale. They never panned out, usually because the owner had bought it new and just couldn't bear to part with it.

Eventually, summer of '09, I started my search in earnest for a clean, fairly rust free, fairly stock 'Cruiser. Craigslist was my friend and I searched all over Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. I finally found one that seemed to match the bill in Payson, AZ. I drove down to look at it, pretty sure that I was going to buy it after talking to the guy on the phone. It was supposed to be a '76, ran but needed a little work to run smooth, a little rust but not to bad, and pretty darn stock. I got down there to find that it was actually a '75 so it didn't have front discs, but the rest of it seemed to be in pretty good shape and I didn't want to drive down 8 hours and turn around without a 'Cruiser. So I bought it... I was now the proud owner of my first 'Cruiser.

twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture12935-way-home-az.jpg

It had been repainted a gosh-aweful brown, over the factory Mustard yellow but it didn't seem to be hiding any bondo, so I was glad of that. There is some rust in the rear sill, both rocker panels have a little, and a little in between the support channel under the body and the floor, as well as the normal spots on the front fenders. I'd seen much worse though, and was pretty pleased with my purchase overall.

It took me a couple of days to get it running good. It would start run a minute or two then die. So I went through the carb, only to eventually find that the problem was a cracked fuel line before the pump. replaced that, and Voila!:bounce: It was running!

Started wheeling it the first real test drive!
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture11184-flexin.jpg

My plan is to build my 'Cruiser as I drive it. I eventually want to do a frame off and paint it Dune Beige, but want pretty much all but the paint to be done when I get to that point. That will include all body work that can be done while on the frame, all chassis repairs, (Brakes, front diff is questionable, any wiring that needs to be done/repaired, and etc) and any mods that I want in the near future. I want to keep everything Toyota, but do plan on a few upgrades. Those include:

1. Mini truck power steering. (I have all the components off of an old parts Mini that I had except brackets- which I will probably fab.)

2. Eventually I want to build a bored, balanced, decked 2FE, as my compression numbers are lousy. (Found the center stud for the carb down the intake when I pulled the carb off. I have to wonder what else might've wound up down there...:doh:)

3. Eventually I'll probably go with a Mini truck disc brake swap, but for now I'm just going to fix the drums till I can afford the parts... (Or parts mini/FJ60 if I can..:D) Although I think I know where a whole disc-equipped, 40 axle is that I could probably pick up cheap; so I may go that route as I think my front diff may be on the way out.:meh:

4. Someday I want to get an H41 w/3speed transfercase or maybe just an orion. Depending on what the budget looks like at the time.

5. Approximately a 4" SUA lift. I'd like either Alcan or Hell Creek. Although I may go with lifted 60 springs if I find the right deal.

6. Lockers. I really would like ARB's front and back, but I may go with an Aussie in the back, and save for an ARB for the front after that.

The end goal is a rig that will do 70-75 as effortlessly as possible to get to the trail, and then be quite capable off road.​

Another Pose Shot
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture12040-pretty-good-sag-out-stock-springs.jpg

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions along the way, but this forum is a wonderful resource and I know that I can find the answers or the help that I need on here, and am proud to be a part of it! A big Thank You to Woody for this awesome resource, as well as the all the experienced 'Cruiserheads that contribute.:cheers:

(And so you know, the buildups name was my :princess:'s idea and is in reference to the color of my 'Cruiser and is from the movie "The Big Country". I like it though:))​

I'll check on you this summer when I come through. Plan on driving my 40 up to Tre's Ritos again with the family. Like to go way back up Forrest Service Road 76 and camp for several days. Then come to RedRiver for at least one night for some grub and hot shower. Good luck with the build. You'r only about 4 hours away if you need anything in the Texas Panhandle area.

Lift...

I found an add for a SR Alcan lift on 'Mud classifieds about 2 months ago. It was an add from about 2 years ago, but the guy had not had any replies, so I PMed him. Lo, and behold! He still had it! It was a four inch lift and came with MAF shackle reversal kit and bushings. It was set up for a 'Cruiser with a 350, winch, and a swing out tire/gas can carrier. After getting a few opinions from 'Mud, I decided the weight with a 350 and winch would probably be close to what my 2F weighs, so I decided to buy it.

The seller had put the lift on his rig, but then decided to go a different route (spring over, then finally coil) and had never even driven on it. I went up to Colorado Springs and picked it up. The tape from it being shipped was still on the springs, so at $550 bucks, I got a set of springs I had always wanted to try, SR mounts and bushings. Pretty darn good deal considering the springs alone are around $900 these days. :eek:

The Old Springs Coming Off
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture12937-out-old.jpg

As mentioned previously, I want to keep things pretty much Toyota built, Toyota designed, so I did not use the SR mounts, as the springs seemed to be about the same arch. After putting the springs on, I found out that the front springs lengthened enough, that when I hit a bump, they would make the shackles swing so far out and up that they would hit the frame and stay locked up there till I jacked it up over the breaking point of the arc, where they would then sit as they should. To solve this, I made my own shackles that are 7/8" longer and they seem to be about perfect. I still have a pretty good shackle angle, and they now travel freely.​

I used 1/4'' by 1 1/2'' flat strap to make my shackles out of, and then drilled the holes so that I could use the shackle pins from the factory shackles. I like how they turned out. Very factory I think!:)

New Front Shackles
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture12933-homemade-front-shackles.jpg

The New Springs
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture12934-bought-them-used-but-they-were-never-driven.jpg

And The New Stance
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture12932-new-alcan-lift-need-new-tires-now.jpg

Right now, it seems to sit a little higher in the front than I would like, (It's not as bad as in the picture-it was taken from a goofy angle) but I think that I will break them in by parking in a ditch after I get the new brake lines installed, and see what it looks like from there- especially as these springs were set up for the lighter 350, they may sit down a little. If not, I may then shorten the front shackle just a tad more, or if the angle on the back shackles improve, I'll probably put a little longer shackle back there. (Thinking 1/2 inch?)

P.S. Notice the new bezel color? :D

Jump seat frame repair/paint

One of the welds on my passenger side jump seat pivot had torn out of the seat frame, so I decided to pull off the covers and repair it with my fairly new Hobart Handler 210. (Mig welder) While I was at it, I decided to sand it to bare metal and repaint it. I haven't finished it yet, but here's some pics of my (slow) progress...

A Drill For The Tight Spots
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture12939-seat-restore.jpg

A Pic Of My Repair
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture12941-trying-duplicate-factory-welds.jpg

I actually ground that weld out and did a prettier one, but do not have a pic of it. After burning through the thin pipe several times, I finally got sick of it and traded the flux core wire for some argon and solid wire. Much nicer!​

I'll check on you this summer when I come through. Plan on driving my 40 up to Tre's Ritos again with the family. Like to go way back up Forrest Service Road 76 and camp for several days. Then come to RedRiver for at least one night for some grub and hot shower. Good luck with the build. You'r only about 4 hours away if you need anything in the Texas Panhandle area.

Stop in anytime Potato Launcher! I'm always happy to meet another 'Cruiserhead! I manage "The Riverside Lodge" so just swing in, I'm almost sure to be around! We'll go 'wheelin!

I have family in Amarillo, so if I ever have my 'Cruiser down there, I'll send you a PM!

i would put the arb in the back and put a spool in the front at least. COOL fj GOOD luck

Fieldsken,

I drive and wheel a lot in the snow, so that's why I was going to put the selectable in the front. Seems like that would keep the front end from pushing so bad...

Front Bumper...

When I bought my 'Cruiser, it had a pretty good, straight front factory bumper, but I wanted to narrow it a bit for clearance purposes. I kind of hated to cut it up, but I'm on a pretty tight cruiser budget, so I went ahead and used it, opting to save money spent on steel, for something else.

I was trying to come up with an angle for the cuts on it and the wife looks over my shoulder and says, "Why don't you match the front of the 'Cruiser?" It was a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself! Anyway, I cut the ends off and then cut material out of them to cap the ends. I liked the result.

Front Bumper
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture12039-new-bumper.jpg

Well, now I see what the rims are for :)

Sweet lookin build so far - I've heard good things about the Alcan springs...I hope you're pleased with 'em too!

I'm totally going to steal your idea for the front bumper - that looks really nice! I've got a semi-straight stocker off of my parts truck, and seeing the capped ends just made up my mind!

Can't wait to watch the progress!!

Whats the length of the bumper??

Bumper Measurements...

Jeff,

I just went out and measured it, as I had never actually measured it before, just laid it out so that the angles would just miss the factory mounts at the bottom of the bumper/frame. It measures at 39 1/4'' wide. I then came down an 1 1/2'' to a 51 or 53 degree angle (Can't remember for sure. Regardless though, it's the angle I measured off of the bib.) the bottom width is 34 1/4''. If I had to do it over again, I would make the whole thing about a 1/4'' wider because as narrow as it is, I had to just barely grind the corners off of the bottom support bracket to fit the end cap. Thanks for the compliments and hope the measurements help!

And yes, that's why I need stock steelies! :)

with the arb in front and lock its no differance than a spool with the hubs unlock theres no push. it will drive better with the arb in rear but do what you like it is yours

nice cruiser

with the arb in front and lock its no differance than a spool with the hubs unlock theres no push. it will drive better with the arb in rear but do what you like it is yours

That makes sense. As long as the hubs were unlocked the front would not push. Yours is a nice looking rig btw too, I've seen it in several other threads. Most recently in the one about MAF Safari lift.

Breaking in the springs

Just thought I'd post a couple of shots of getting the springs broke in...:D

Side View
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture12962-side-view-breaking-springs.jpg

Front View
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture12961-breaking-springs.jpg

From the Back
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture12963-back.jpg

I could have gone a couple of ties higher if they been there I think, but this was the best I could find. I noticed a definite difference in the shackle angle on the rear drivers side when I did it on that side for the night.​

I plan on going with Ford shock towers and Doetsch Tech shocks here in a week or two, but need to do a little more photography on the side first, because that's how I support my 'Cruiser habit. I would like to put on Bilstiens eventually, but I can take care of several other little things with the money I'll save by going with the Doetsch Techs, plus, I used to run them on my Mini and I was pretty happy with them.​

Wish'd I Hadn't Sold It :mad:
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture12964-my-85-mini.jpg

A little done this week...

I finally got around to putting my extended brake lines on my 'Cruiser this week. Since I knew that I was going to have to bleed the brakes anyway, I decided to go through and rebuild all my wheel cylinders and front brakes at the same time; especially since I knew I had at least on wheel cylinder that was leaking and who knows when they had been taken care of last. (Just FYI, I talked to CDan about wheel cyclinder rebuild kits from Toyota, no such thing... They do, however, have new OEM wheel cyclinders. But even with the 'Mud discount, they are like $86-$87 dollars a piece. Not bad but more than I had to spend, especially since I eventually want to go to discs on the front.)

A list of parts I ordered:
  • Extended brake lines: Raybestos part number 38009, or BR38009 (Napa part#), or SP6310 from CarQuest. These are off of an 80-86 Nissan pickup. (About $17 bucks a piece)
  • Wheel Cylinder rebuild kits. Carquest part number C7854 for the front; and C7850 for the rear. (About $6.00 bucks a piece)
  • New shoes for the front. (Not sure of the part number or price.)
Tore into the fr passenger side first because I knew it needed attention the worst. This is what it looked like in there:
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture13050-close-up-gunk.jpg

That gunk, (in this case) is from brake fluid, not a bad axle seal. Sometimes though, that would not be the case and putting in new seals would be necessary.​

This is an exploded view of the front wheel cylinders for reference
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture13052-exploded-view-front-wheel-cylinder.jpg

After it was all put back together:
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture13051-nice-clean-new.jpg

I used a hone in the wheel cylinders to clean the cylinders up, and a wire brush on the bench grinder to clean up the pistons, screws, and etc. Came out looking pretty good I thought!​

I put grease on the surfaces that rubber seat on/in to make adjusting easier, as well as a small amount on the pistons and adjusting screw to help keep out dirt, water, etc. Makes a huge difference on how easy things turn when you're adjusting them. I found this out the semi-hard way... Had to pull the first one back off after installing it because the rubber boot was binding up. Greased it all up, and it worked MUCH better! Also, in case you don't already know this, put a little brake grease or anti-seize on the flats inside the drum where the shoes have metal to metal contact... Helps them return to where they should after braking.​

Last edited:
Brake line fab...

Here's a shot of the new brake lines comparing them to the old ones:

twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture13054-raybestos-brake-hose-38009-compared-stockers-front-middle-rear-top-lots-travel-possibility.jpg

(The new one is on the bottom, the old front line in the middle, and the old rear line on top) There is plenty of room with these on now, for as much travel as I can get out of the new springs!​

The new lines had a different mounting system than the old ones, and would allow the new lines to pull through the factory mounting bracket.​

New VS old
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture13055-two-slots-old-line-one-new-extended-line.jpg

For the solution, I took 1/2" washers- drilled the center out with a 5/8" drill bit (which was within a .001" of being perfect)- and then ground off about a .001-.002" of the washers thickness, so that the circlip would still snap on the hardline side of the factory bracket, with the washer on the back side, to keep it from pulling through.​

Solution:
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture13056-solution-keep-line-place.jpg

From the top:
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture13057-finished-product-top.jpg

A pic of the solution installed:
twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture13058-installed.jpg

(The circlip is now installed on the front side of that factory bracket, in the groove on the brakeline, thanks to the grinding of the washer.) Hold's it snug, and almost looks like it's from the assembly line. ;)

I was in Angel Fire driving to Pagosa last week, and I ended up just taking US64, but I was really, really tempted to swing through Red River to go look for your rig.

Next time I'm driving the faux-lux through I'll stop in.... Probably be a couple of weeks, but I'll be driving back down soon enough...

Looks good! Suggestion: buy a mini or 60 axle and just swap the whole knuckle assembly. Then you'd have discs, large pattern knuckles, common birfs, and Aisin hubs. Not a single downside in that list.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom