Builds Here we go (FJ-40 getting a 3B/Turbo/H55f)... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How did you get your axles powdercoated? you obviously didn't stuff em in your oven, did you use heaters or bring 'em to a shop?

The axles and frame are not powdercoated. Just painted (with POR15). All of the parts that bolt to them are powdercoated (like the axle knuckles and things). I'm not a fan of powdercoating axles and frames, because it means you can't ever really weld to them again. I don't weld cast metal anyhow, so it's no big loss (also, I figure the baking relieves some internal stress in many cast parts).

I have to get up at 5:30 tomorrow to go to work, but....

Thanks to Alia176, beno, Bad Mojo, and sl33p3 we got it on. I'll let the pictures do the talking. Thanks guys!
sweet 3.jpg

sweet 1.jpg

sweet 2.jpg

Dan
sweet 1.jpg
sweet 2.jpg
sweet 3.jpg

Looks drivable to me!

The painters did a great job!

Dan, I like how you are the only one actually putting the body mount bolts in while they all watch! :)

Took me second to find you in the pics!

Dan, I like how you are the only one actually putting the body mount bolts in while they all watch! :)

Took me second to find you in the pics!

Good eye.
Dan, are you sure you don't actually work for some airborn version of CalTrans?
If so, how do they let you bring a leaning shovel on the plane?

Looks damned good Danny-boy!! What happened to your hair?!:D

So.... I hear all the cool kids are powder coating their transmissions...:hmm:

tu amigo,

Josh

Man, the bedliner we used is impressive! The paint sticks to it like no other, and it's "rubbery" but not delicate by any means. I can say this definitively because I spent hours today with various taps chasing holes in the body so that things could bolt up...

That said, I rolled it outside and cleaned holes and bolted lots of miscellanous things back on. The wiring harness is also back in the body. I'll let the pics to the talking...
today 1.jpg

today 3.jpg

today 2.jpg

To end the night Dad and I lifted the fuel tank into place. That is a bear of a job! But, it's done, so that's a great thing...

Dan
today 1.jpg
today 2.jpg
today 3.jpg

i use ear plugs in the holes when i install the bed liner, makes that part of the job so much easier and faster.

looks real nice.

nice thing about the bed liner is how quiet the cab is when the top is back on.

i use ear plugs in the holes when i install the bed liner, makes that part of the job so much easier and faster.

looks real nice.

nice thing about the bed liner is how quiet the cab is when the top is back on.

That is a bloody good idea... why didn't I think of that?!:doh:

Josh

Not a whole lot to report/take pictures of, but....

The controls are all back in the dash. Pretty, eh?
controls 1.jpg

Then I reattached the VIN and data tags. Looks SOOOOO much better than masking them for paint.
vin tag 1.jpg

And, while we're waiting for the turbo to come back from rebuild, we had the turbine housing ceramic coated too.
turbo 1.jpg

If the turbo would have come back the other day, I am confident it would have been whining around the neighborhood. I'll be down at the shop again Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, and I'm really, really hoping the turbo is back. If it drives around on Tuesday, then it's easily making CM2011. Easily.

Dan
controls 1.jpg
turbo 1.jpg
vin tag 1.jpg

What a amazing job. Can you guys look at the date for this very thread to the latest one. It's coming to 3 years.:clap::clap::clap:

Nice touches Dan, love it and can't wait to see it in person when you bring it up to CO.

Dan, Just came back to your build and I'm loving the progress! Keep it up!

Why can't the turbo be back?????

The guy at the turbo shop who was handling my broken intake plate and the rebuild kit for the fairly mysterious Safari turbo apparently got sick. Today when I called they said they'd just found out he was in the hospital, so they're trying to figure out what the status of his projects was (which includes our turbo). I'll cross my fingers he is allright, and that they find the bits for our turbo and get it back with the quickness.

Because in the absence of the turbo, I've been buys bolting as much as possible on, and otherwise tying up loose ends.

Brakes are bled. I love new stuff, it bleeds so easily!

I got the battery tray back on. I really, really am glad that this should be the last time I have to bolt the air compressor in.
today 1.jpg

Then the windshield frame (which now has a windshield in it) onto the tub....
today 2.jpg

And then a test fit of the fenders...
today 3.jpg
today 1.jpg
today 2.jpg
today 3.jpg

Finished up a couple more odds and ends under the hood, and put the fenders and bib on.
today 4.jpg

Because I was on a roll (and because I need the aprons installed to get the rest of the electrics in)....
today 5.jpg
today 6.jpg

It LOOKS ready to go..... It's close, very close. I may cut out a blockoff plate for the turbo housing, just to maybe drive it without a turbo, just because I want to drive it now. It looks better and better, and goes together easier and easier...
today 4.jpg
today 5.jpg
today 6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom