Help Identifying this Engine Part (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knuckle47

I can’t get enough Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all,

this is mounted under the distributor of a 1979 2F. I’ve never seen one but likely somebody knows what it is?

It has apparently been disconnected for some time but it has a set of hefty bolts attaching it to the block and some odd passage connection further up into the block
IMG_0525.jpeg
IMG_0524.jpeg
IMG_0522.jpeg
IMG_0521.jpeg

Oil cooler. Kinda stuck with it unless you can find a stand alone filter bracket with provision for the sender.

Wow, that was quick…thank you. It does appear the sending unit is attached to the block but, I’ll need to get under it and double check

It was a fluke. Passing through. 😉

Well, the oil sender and filter are all tied into it. My 75 did not have this, it was only the filter mount on the block… it is sure a solid attachment. I wonder how the rubber boot had something to do with it?

would an FJ60 2F filter bracket replace this assembly?

Well, the oil sender and filter are all tied into it. My 75 did not have this, it was only the filter mount on the block… it is sure a solid attachment. I wonder how the rubber boot had something to do with it?

They're using it as a cap. That port was intended to have a hose on it heading to the firewall.

Yea, me too but I’d never seen a factory oil cooler on a 2F … my other trucks were all F blocks….and it could have been some thing like a heater control valve setup…I had no clue but it is making a lot more sense now EXCEPT

what is preventing any oil from pumping out of the port on the left…where this boot is currently located?

Last edited:
Those ports are where the coolant passes through. The oil (should) stay in passages all internal to the rectangle ham can.

@Skreddy thanks…that makes it 85% understood for me. So there is a water jacket around the “ham can” to cool oil passing through somewhere. I did find an oil filter bracket for a 2F FJ60… I am thinking this might fit if it has a port on front for the oil pressure sending unit. Any thoughts? Does anyone know which part of the service manual this thing is talked about? I’ve not seen it yet

I eliminated the oil cooler when I swapped in a newer 2F into my 40. It really is just more oil capacity and doesn't really cool it much. Used the oil filter mount from my seized 76 engine, it bolts right up and has the sender attached.

Thank you everyone…Now that I have finally got this into my thick skull, does anyone know what routing the coolant hoses might be following from one end of the device to the other? I cannot seem to find it in two service manuals that I have and the Haynes book

one is off an extra port on the top of the thermostat housings specifically for oil cooler setups.
the other off an extra port on the water pump, again a specific spec pump for oil coolers.

one is off an extra port on the top of the thermostat housing, specifically for oil cooler setups.
the other off an extra port on the water pump, again a specific spec pump for oil coolers.
Thanks Brian !

‘’it only took me 5 hours to comprehend how this works. I’ll need to look again and see that those parts are still on this 2F. Likely when the water pump failed at one point, they just swapped in a non cooler pump.

the extra port on the water pump is difficult to see. its down low, behind a bunch of stuff, barely visible from the right side if there is no/ or little hose on it.
the one on the thermostat housing sticks out like a sore thumb.

@brian Found the sore thumb as you said, still trying to look at the water pump… a touch dark down there right now And everything is the same color…grease gray
IMG_0530.jpeg

I thought the one for the water pump connects to a hardline that is attached to the lower timing cover, under the harmonic balancer then up the driver side of the block to a hose to the pump

the pic above would attach to a hardline that goes across the side of the head or valve cover then to the vertical pipe in the first pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom