Help identifying this part, OEM or AM? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Someone offered me this compete ignition as being OEM. I have doubts because I don’t see a single mark on it.

Is this OEM or aftermarket and which engines would it fit?

IMG_6166.jpeg
IMG_6165.jpeg
IMG_6164.jpeg
IMG_6163.jpeg
IMG_6162.jpeg

Someone offered me this compete ignition as being OEM. I have doubts because I don’t see a single mark on it.

Is this OEM or aftermarket and which engines would it fit?

View attachment 3390168View attachment 3390169View attachment 3390170View attachment 3390171View attachment 3390172

that does indeed possibly look like a OEM TOYOTA Genuine NipponDenso UNIT ?

- however , it has a PERTRONIX aftermarket kit inside in place of points

- my conclusion so far is based on 1 simple facts topic : the plastic cap , that covers the white adjust dial , please REMOVE the clear cap , and photos of it and the white dial too

- we can tell the difference if aftermarket or Genuine NipponDenso also here too

- the Diaphragm on the side , the flat face , does it have any numbers on it or the letter
s ND on it ?

- hard to tell ? if its blank and plain , then its a aftermarket NEW vacuum advancer ,,,

- but show photos of it please

- oh , also , close up clear crisp photos of BOTH the bottom FLAT end , and also the gear too ,

several photos here is better , i can tell from these 2 perspectives , the PIN drive in the gear too please

- this might sound like a lot of photos and stuff , but if you want a Verified Professional Opinion , that can also be agreed with by others such as @4Cruisers , who is today's state of the art innovator and creates world class real world Genuine NipponDenso Ignition Distributors using only and ALL OEM Japan Spec. parts , and is the Land Cruiser Communities most single source benchmark of all things NipponDenso Ignition Systems on the Vintage Land Cruiser as a whole ....then

THIS IS THE WAY ...

- this IS a OEM unit below , note the stamped numbers and letters of the face of the DISC. diaphragm advancer ....

Apple Photos #1 090 - Copy - Copy.JPG111.png

De7-lLhUYAAEVZR - Copy - Copy (3)1 - Copy - Copy.jpg

:D

Last edited:
I feel like no markings means aftermarket. Usually Toyota and their suppliers definitely like to stamp their parts.

I only have these photos. No markings at all, except here:
IMG_6167.jpeg

But can’t figure it out.

Edit that is the vise underneath 🫣

There are OEM toyota NOS Advancer Adjustment Dial Caps , if your cap matches these EXACTLY , then this is some varity of a refurbished unit , ?

if NOT ?

then @red66toy is correct and it's aftermarket all the way .....

i have seen refurbished OEM units such as this NEW Aftermarket advancer diaphragm and all , down to a Pertronix type igniter substitute , but the GEAR is NOT usually replaced , and the BOTTOM of the shaft either , BOTH will show witness marks , or normal wear and tear foot prints , if that gear it spotless and new , that wouod also point to a Chairman Moe made unit too , as that gear cost of a NEW one is pretty significant , not sure you can buy aftermarket ones , but anything is possible in today;'s new age of Kopy Kat Kloners who instead of stating the truth , its a aftermarket product , go one step further , and pon this type of unit and this type of situation as oem toyota parts ,

- is this currenty for sale on EBAY , or some other online market place ?

if so please don't be afraid to post the link here , this will tell much facts too , i bring this topic up not to make you fret , but to make you and others who read this thread aware that in-fact there are hundreds if not Thousands of Vintage Land Cruiser parts listed right now on Ebay , being Ponned off and Genuine and OEM , when in-fact there knowingly NOT , there is a BIG RED LINE when it comes to reproduction land Cruiser parts and counterfeit ones .... the first simple thing is if it's clearly stated its a reproduction or aftermarket in some clear and transparent way the average first time land cruiser owner operator can easily understand and identify with , Another red flag is if TOYOTA still produces the said part , and you can simply run down to your local TOYOTA Dealer and purchase it , then WHY would anybody go the the trouble to make it themselves in the first place ?

- well ...........

- that questions has many answers im sure , but here is a very unique and perfect example of this topic to use as a learning tool , case study , and classic example too ...

-
study this link , it's contents , photos and the description carefully , and do not forget this , the BULL SH#T factor of this seller is way over the top , in-fact its aggressive in nature , and predatory in nature too in my opinion ....

- it takes Ballz to create this type of ebay listing , but in-fact post Covid19 i think Ebay in still well under staffed , and turned into the WILD WEST for the long term ...

- this example lesson on the differences on a true Aftermarket Land Cruiser Ignition Distributor , verse a OEM one i hope will educate and make folks aware that a 3rd category exists sadly , so stay vigilant , and if unsure , do what @hdjtachtig did right here , he / she is was unsure ? and that is the smart way to go about this .....

- good call @hdjtachtig ! :cool:

- thanks for taking the time here , this is a important topic , that directly relates to the Thread title in every possible way ..... :) :wrench: :wrench:

matt

1690966627688.png

These are 100% OEM TOYOTA NOS Timing Adjust Dial Caps , because i purchased them myself from TOYOTA back in the day while still working for them , otherwise i really could not be that sure myself without a verified OEM original of some kind Pre-owned or NOS ......

- the O-ring on @hdjtachtig 's unit is NOT OEM , its PHAT and round , a true OEM one if FLAT and has a Sharp 90' outside corner from the flat to the side transition .....

-
7142713484435816968_1 - Copy (3)12 - Copy.png

89E89E36-4226-4753-B17B-D55F8686BB39.jpeg
CE5E3F12-ED57-4F2F-8C5B-B0604D691DAF.jpeg
DC42CB5F-3660-4D68-9A2D-13A05406250E.jpeg
1EB2A6FE-CE08-4528-8A79-C8A37CBB51B6.jpeg
A9E31D6B-C564-4DE3-B886-11DBB3941A4F.jpeg
03285E7C-E16C-495B-9529-A8FF2494DC4B.jpeg

(.11) - Copy (3).gif

:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back