Heartbroken- my LC is deemed salvage. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brutal news: some %#*& hit me at a stop sign and jammed my bumper so hard it bent the frame. His insurance is calling it totaled. The body shop (reputable) said the frame was twisted in another spot.

I am so disappointed, but not sure what to do- other than sell it and try to pry my '07 470 from my wife (that wont be easy, she loves hers).

Maybe just fix the frame on the cheap and then make it a overlander? Curious any other angle I should explore.

IMG-2867.jpg

Maybe just fix the frame on the cheap and then make it a overlander?
From the photo I would say Yes this is repairable. Most aftermarket rear bumper makers require that part removed to make way to mount the steel/aluminum bumper.
Curious any other angle I should explore.

View attachment 3415714
You can remove that twisted crossmember frame piece and take measurements. If it is squared you are in luck.

The shop should have measured the frame, and provided that in the estimate. If they did, you can and should get that. It looks like they missed the hitch, which probably braces the frame rails and did not bow the rear frame area, but may have caused the midsection to bow out. Unless the current 100 is pristine, I would negotiate a high price and go get another.

Sorry to see this. That frame hit is big enough to potentially be compromised in the event of another impact if not fixed to OE Standards, which is likely a very pretty penny.

their first offer will be very low $$'s
stand firm, get comps of similar age and condition,
they won't add in for any extras

do you have full coverage?

That seems like a pretty hard hit. If the frame is twisted somewhere else not sure I would want to trust it with road-trips for the family.
That is pretty much what the guy at Penske Auto said.

That seems like a pretty hard hit. If the frame is twisted somewhere else not sure I would want to trust it with road-trips for the family.
That is the fear. Yup

The shop should have measured the frame, and provided that in the estimate. If they did, you can and should get that. It looks like they missed the hitch, which probably braces the frame rails and did not bow the rear frame area, but may have caused the midsection to bow out. Unless the current 100 is pristine, I would negotiate a high price and go get another.

Sorry to see this. That frame hit is big enough to potentially be compromised in the event of another impact if not fixed to OE Standards, which is likely a very pretty penny.
I will check with the Penske guy and mention this. Thx!

their first offer will be very low $$'s
stand firm, get comps of similar age and condition,
they won't add in for any extras

do you have full coverage?
I used the trailing 12 sales on Bring a Trailer. They offered waaaay low. I had 130k miles on it in great shape. My have to get lawyers involved, unfortunately.

Yes, I have full coverage- not excited about going after my insurance company.

As stated above, make sure to push back on insurance... they count on folks not knowing it's a negotiation. I've even heard of folks challenging, and reversing, the "total" as the value goes up. As it stands, using KBB numbers, your agent likely things it costs more to fix than to pay you out...

There are frames that get fixed all the time, I wouldn't be happy about it, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's all of a sudden a death trap....

From the photo I would say Yes this is repairable. Most aftermarket rear bumper makers require that part removed to make way to mount the steel/aluminum bumper.

You can remove that twisted crossmember frame piece and take measurements. If it is squared you are in luck.
gonna check this. Thx!

"The body shop (reputable) said the frame was twisted in another spot."

Ask them to show the twisted area. I am sure they didn't even inspect the frame. From the impact, it looks like only the rear cross member is bent, and came off the weld so bending the main frame is unlikely. The rear frame is a box frame and pretty hard thick steel, so I doubt their claim.

Ask them to show the twisted area. I am sure they didn't even inspect the frame. From the impact, it looks like only the rear cross member is bent, and came off the weld so bending the main frame is unlikely. The rear frame is a box frame and pretty hard thick steel, so I doubt their claim.
ooh, that is interesting. I will give it a look. Thank you.

Tell tale is the hitch receiver, it looks straight. It helped retain the form of the rear.

Here we go....You're not the first and certainly won't be the last to go through this. Body shops suck and insurance companies are crooks. Don't trust either of them.

I got hit so hard at a red light my heater Ts ruptured lol.

I went through the same thing except the body shop didn't tell me my frame was twisted.....New cross member, fancy bumper, and some other parts and she was good as new.

It took me a few months of arguing with the insurance company and proving to them the value is way more than they are telling me. Start gathering for sale listings in your area and tell them to STFU

I was at a dead stop they hit me at like 60+ and pushed / bounced me a few feet forward. This was back in 2019. Spare tire + cross member took most of the abuse.

1693513149869.png

Last edited:
Sounds like this stems from an undervaluation of your vehicle by the opposing insurance company. Surprise, surprise.

It's their job to pay out as little as possible. That means lowering your vehicle value. That means it totals more easily.

You don't need a lawyer, in my experience. You just need data. Show them as many examples as possible of 100's similar to or better than yours. Show them that the replacement value is XYZ.

Another tidbit, your insurance can (and should) fight on your behalf. If the other party insurance won't be reasonable, you can pay your insurance your deductible and let them fight it out and then get your deductible back once your insurance settles it all. I've done this for my wife and I've had many acquaintances on here and in the real world that have done similar. In the end, it's free. And you have professional help from people that know this stuff as well as the other side - all without having to deal with a $300/hr lawyer. This, of course, all assumes that you're correct and have truth on your side.

Sounds like this stems from an undervaluation of your vehicle by the opposing insurance company. Surprise, surprise.

It's their job to pay out as little as possible. That means lowering your vehicle value. That means it totals more easily.

You don't need a lawyer, in my experience. You just need data. Show them as many examples as possible of 100's similar to or better than yours. Show them that the replacement value is XYZ.

Another tidbit, your insurance can (and should) fight on your behalf. If the other party insurance won't be reasonable, you can pay your insurance your deductible and let them fight it out and then get your deductible back once your insurance settles it all. I've done this for my wife and I've had many acquaintances on here and in the real world that have done similar. In the end, it's free. And you have professional help from people that know this stuff as well as the other side - all without having to deal with a $300/hr lawyer. This, of course, all assumes that you're correct and have truth on your side.
^^^ This guy knows his stuff.

On the flipside, a lawyer may be necessary if you want to get any compensation for personal damages. My accident was back in 2019, my back is still ****ed. I fought with them for a year and got a few thousand bucks to cover physical therapist bills. Most lawyers pursuing damages don't charge anything unless they win and then take a cut.

It's never fun getting smashed by some moron when you are stopped minding your business.

Focus on getting your vehicles value to a more realistic rate and hope your back and neck are OK from the hit.

^^^ This guy knows his stuff.

On the flipside, a lawyer may be necessary if you want to get any compensation for personal damages. My accident was back in 2019, my back is still f***ed. I fought with them for a year and got a few thousand bucks to cover physical therapist bills. Most lawyers pursuing damages don't charge anything unless they win and then take a cut.

It's never fun getting smashed by some moron when you are stopped minding your business.

Focus on getting your vehicles value to a more realistic rate and hope your back and neck are OK from the hit.
Oh for sure. Basic valuation dispute - probably don't need a lawyer. Personal injury - lawyer up.

Well, on the bright side, the trailer hitch looks OK.

Oh man they get so bent when you point out their job is to minimize what you get paid.

If you mention this to the adjuster, and they balk and refute, simply tell them that you'll just send an invoice instead. Make up your own number.

I hate dealing with adjusters.

Oh man they get so bent when you point out their job is to minimize what you get paid.

If you mention this to the adjuster, and they balk and refute, simply tell them that you'll just send an invoice instead. Make up your own number.

I hate dealing with adjusters.
I pulled the last 12 months of BAT. Put it in the spreadsheet and summarized. Pretty much no way he can refute that. Looking for their response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom