Is this acceptable? Timing marks on 2002 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Brand new Aisin timing components are going back on and my RH r-cam bank is giving me pause.
It looks to be within spec, but on the very edge of the line mark. The LH L-cam and crank pulley are dead on.

I have not pulled the pin on the tensioner. I was wondering if perhaps pulling the pin will close up the slack on the RH bank and pull that cam pulley mark right back to dead center.
Photos attached.

Am I clear to proceed and pull the pin or do I need to undo the belt and give it another?

Thanks!

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

Hey all,

Brand new Aisin timing components are going back on and my RH r-cam bank is giving me pause.
It looks to be within spec, but on the very edge of the line mark. The LH L-cam and crank pulley are dead on.

I have not pulled the pin on the tensioner. I was wondering if perhaps pulling the pin will close up the slack on the RH bank and pull that cam pulley mark right back to dead center.
Photos attached.

Am I clear to proceed and pull the pin or do I need to undo the belt and give it another?

Thanks!

View attachment 3581849

View attachment 3581850

View attachment 3581851
I see what you mean. My gut is telling me you are spot on since the belt mark, gear mark, and other pulleys are lined up but that rear mark on the RH would make me pause and doubt myself as well......maybe to test your theory you could just apply pressure / tension to the belt manually to recreate what the tensioner would do. Any adjustment in the belt over a tooth would throw everything off.

There's a bunch of write ups out there but I couldn't find a good compare video. Hopefully someone with more smarts then me will chime in here.

Sweet, thanks Mike. Yes, I can pull up with just a bit of pressure on the belt between the tensioner and the R-cam and it comes perfectly into the center. That's why I was hoping pulling the pin on the tensioner will dial the mark in perfectly

@flintknapper has been known to dish out some solid advice on these repairs.

What do you think, is this as good as it gets for that RH timing mark?

You’re good, IMO. Timing marks are liked up perfectly with the crank and camshaft pulleys. I’d send it if it were my truck! 👍

You're golden. Pull the pin and button it up if you haven't already. 👍

Sweet, thank you all very much! I've only ever done timing chain engines with cam tools so I wanted to be totally sure here on the belt. Really appreciate you guys

I would be entirely comfortable with those timing marks. Mine were bout the same when I did mine last month. after a couple of revolutions (by hand) with the pin pulled they were even closer. Is this a very high mileage engine? I ask because it appears that the crank drive pulley has significant wear in its grooves. I hesitate to mention it because I don't want to give you something else to worry about but if I could afford the down time I would get a new one. keep in mind that the crank pullley has twice as much wear on it as the cam pulleys. Having said all that I would pull the pin, turn it a few revs and check your marks again. keep in mind the marks on the belt don't matter after you have spun the crank, only the marks on the pullies. Edit, since I don't know your experience level I must add that the marks on the pullies only match up every second revolution of the crank.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom