Have you busted a birfield on your 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering how many of us here on the forum have broken a birfiled.
If you have please reply to this post with the following info.

Truck year
Mileage
Gears
Tire size
Lockers engaged Yes / No
Driving forward / reverse
Wheels cranked left or right or straight
LH / RH brif broke
What part of the birf failed
Pics of damage if you have any
-------------

167,000 KM (101,900)
Stock (4:11)
35's
No lockers
Forward
Wheels turned right
LH broke
Cage

Cheers,

LandCrusher80

birf 1.jpg
birf 2.jpg
birf 3.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I just blew one this weekend. I had slipped off a rock and was about to flop, so I tried to back out of it.. Bam! Now the real question is to go with Longfields and give up some longevity or stay stock and figure to blow another.

1993 FZ80
168,000 miles
37x14.5 Super Swamper Iroks
5.29 gears
Locker engaged
Backing up turning (the birfields worst nightmare)

Last edited:
I have broken 2 birfs.

First time:
130k ish
315 Toyo Open Country M/Ts
4.10 gears
Locker engaged
Backing up while turning in a rock garden

Second time:
130,200-ish miles :mad:
Same stupid Toyo's
4.10 gears
Locker engaged
I was going up a steep hill with bolders. I layed the truck over on the pass side, turned hard right into the rock and gave it all she had to pop it back onto the tires. Popped my birf instead.

Now:
37x14.50 bias Iroks
5.29 gears
Longfield inners and outers... Now I break rear axle shafts. :doh:

Yes, I just blew one this weekend. I had slipped off a rock and was about to flop, so I tried to back out of it.. Bam! Now the real question is to go with Longfields and give up some longevity or stay stock and figure to blow another.

1993 FZ80
168,000 miles
37x14.5 Super Swamper Iroks
5.29 gears
Locker engaged
Backing up turning (the birfields worst nightmare)

Easy answer is for a tiny bit more than stock OEM Birfs you could do longs and a part time kit and not have to worry about it.

220+K
None broken
original birfs
no lockers

I have installed part time kits for two people. Both hated the handling and road feel afterwards.

If it is a winter use road rig in a place where you see snow and ice (like FJnAK), Keep the full time 4wd.

Mark...

Yes, both.
First time out with 35 Boggers, backing up a hill that was giving me problems, started hopping and gave it more throttle, wrong move. Cage burst.
Second time, 6 months later, this time easing up onto a rock ledge under full turn. Same tires, lockers engaged both times, cage failed both times.
Very happy with my Longs, tho!
X2 on the part time kit if it's a DD

97 40th anni
35-10.50 Boggers
4.10 gears
slee sticker
Moab 596.jpg

I broke the birf/axle interface and had to replace both. The light turned green, I pushed on the gas, and snap. Had to lock the center diff and drive like that for almost 2 years before I got around to fixing it. Hehe! I loved the way it handled and the improved gas milage was nice. But in the snow and ice it was scarry, like a dump trunk on cross country skis.

~275,000 when I broke
4.10 gears
31 inch tires
No lockers, at least not yet
Right side axle/birf, open diff, going straight

Last edited:
220ish & 230ish
36" TSX
Lockers engaged - of course
What part failed - cage
Pics of damage if any - Ige might have a pic of the Moab birf but it was worse than LandCrusher80's knuckle pic. Got nothing from the Hills.

Both this year. First, sliding along Rocker Knocker on Pritchett at CM '09. Second, Bikini in the Black Hills '09. They have both been worked pretty hard and were ready to go. Both cages blew under little load driving forward. In both instances the cages all but disintegrated into pieces smaller than your pinky fingernail. I was able to put 45+ miles on each after they broke, so knock on wood they haven't left me swapping a birf on the trail yet.

Bit of advice to those who haven't broken yet >>> learn to change a birf by removing the knuckle as an assembly.

Christo can comment but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of 80 birf failures involve the cage. The material is very brittle and after looking over my spares it appears the cages get chipped over time and and create a stress riser just primed to break.

I stopped counting at some point. Does 5 in 2 days in 30 yards of Hall Johns (South Dakota_ count. :D

Section four? Did ya make it up the waterfall? After all the work I hope so.

Driver skill at play here? :hillbilly:

Better try wheeling it before throwin' poo around.

Last edited:
Cody C suggested to add the below questions.

Driving forward / reverse
Wheels cranked left or right or straight
LH / RH brif broke

Other damage:
The axle shaft took a little beating too. :mad:

LandCrusher80

birf 4.jpg

The interesting land crusher80 it's you busted your birf with open diff .. ?

That's correct. Broke it with an open diff: making a light right turn with very little throttle.
I rebuilt the front end about a month before that. The brifs looked like new.

LandCrusher80

315s
stock gears
Wheeled extensively............

Original burfs:cheers:

Any chance to add "if /when spindle bushing was replaced on the side that broke"
Just curious.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom