Coming soon- Write up - 5 speed conversion H151F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the final stages of the project. If all goes well I should be done by Sunday.
I am preparing a detailed write-up with lots of pictures and a parts list.

Cheers,

LandCrusher80
IMG_1436.jpg
IMG_1360.jpg

I can't wait... I wanna swap in a 5speed so bad!!

I've never owned an auto, and I plan on never buying one. BUT, fifth gear in the H151F is barely an overdrive. You'll be running high rpms at highway speeds - which translates to even more poor mileage. You're going to want to do a re-gear after you drop in that H151F - maybe not in Japan with your 80km/h speed limits.

Sweet! Can't wait to hear your driving impressions.

subscribed

Too bad it's RHD.

BUT, fifth gear in the H151F is barely an overdrive. You'll be running high rpms at highway speeds - which translates to even more poor mileage. You're going to want to do a re-gear after you drop in that H151F - maybe not in Japan with your 80km/h speed limits.

Indeed 80 km/h is the speed limit on the Okinawa Expressway; drive a 100km/h and the unmarked cop car go right by you. Drive 101km/h and the ticket will cost you 15,000 Yen.
Will be posting mileage results soon. Currently very happy with the 8.+ -9.3 L/km with the A442F. Would be interested to read more about increased fuel consumption with manual transmission in a 80 series compared to the ATM.
Better mileage was not my main concern for the conversion.

:beer:

LandCrusher80

Last edited:
A couple of teasers.
IMG_1319.jpg
IMG_1353.jpg

I also doubt your fuel consumption will get worse. The biggest factor is speed. We recently took a trip from San Diego to Sedona (H151F behind a 1HD-T). One way we drove fast (75 to 80mph, when possible) and got about 17mpg. The other way we took it easy with 60 to 65 and fuel economy went to 23mph.
Personally I love the H151F. I am usually not in a hurry, so I don't miss the overdrive. And if need be, you can easily do 85 for a little while.
cheers,
enjoy, J

You can drive faster with manual .. 1HD-T will have no problem doing all day long at 3500 rpm .. you may not like it ( coz you know it could to the same at 2200 rpm ) but there is no real issue with that ..

1HD-T + H150 + 4.10 + 315 will give you nice overall performance and top speed ..

Again it would not be the most economical ( MPG ) setup .. or the fastest 80 .. but it will be for sure trouble free setup for many years to come ..

I also doubt your fuel consumption will get worse. The biggest factor is speed. We recently took a trip from San Diego to Sedona (H151F behind a 1HD-T). One way we drove fast (75 to 80mph, when possible) and got about 17mpg. The other way we took it easy with 60 to 65 and fuel economy went to 23mph.
Personally I love the H151F. I am usually not in a hurry, so I don't miss the overdrive. And if need be, you can easily do 85 for a little while.
cheers,
enjoy, J

Thanks for sharing your mpg results. Same here not in a hurry and I normally drive slow. (i.e. speed limit)
I had a previous 80 with an ATM, get her up to of 171km/h. Not planning on doing that again.
Hoping for around 11 km/l :hmm:

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom