Pics of the tires you have on your 80 please. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 80 got bogged in the front yard 3 yrs ago after a huge rain event made the clay soil become a swamp. Even with hubs locked and 4wd it was a challenge. All 10 m away from the edge of the main road. :cool: Only time I could have used MT tyres.

I've slid out twice turning right in the wet and both times I know I took the turns too hard. First time I was sliding sideways towards a pole. braking would have done nothing - let off throttle and it gripped.

Problem isn't so much the lack of 4wd/awd in my view but the high CG making it 'roll' off the right side causing it to lose grip. I've never had the same thing happen doing left turns but in Oz left turns tend to be tighter and slower due to our RHD standard. The tyres I've got don't get a good rap for wet performance (so I found out).

There's only so much that sway bars can do to prevent roll centre momentum.

Nitto trail grappler mt. Hands down the best tire I have ever used.

20220315_103954.jpg

That's wild, well done for avoiding any serious damage or injury, serious reaction time and decision making there.

Out of interest and relevance to the thread, what tires?

I used to have to lock hubs in the morning to reverse a few metres up the grass council strip onto the road after a good rain. Other than getting sideways on dirt, AWD>RWD in a 4x4.

This was a long time ago. I was running BFG All Terrains.
They were a good tyre. Good mileage. They lasted ages, and had good grip right to the end of life.

My current 80 has Nitto Terra Grapplers on it.

They are garbage in the wet.
Wear rate has been unimpressive too.

Would hesitate to buy Nitto again
I don't know about the Terra grappler but I love my trail grappler MT's for where I live and my uses.

I always bias toward new tire tech.

The new Wrangler RT and MT (called Boulder MT) look pretty intriguing.

Last edited:
Not the poser backdrops some of you cats have posted. Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT 315’s on the original rims. 15,000 on them so far and they’ve been great

IMG_2340.jpeg

IMG_2341.jpeg

So far so good! They are a lot quieter than my old open country mts. I haven’t put them through their paces just yet but they look like they’ll do fine for what I get into.
Glad to hear. If I enjoy them on the 80 they might end up on the wife's 4Runner when it needs tires.

This was a long time ago. I was running BFG All Terrains.
They were a good tyre. Good mileage. They lasted ages, and had good grip right to the end of life.

I will definitely second this^^. I've ran BFG All Terrains on my Tacoma's for years, and they have been phenomenal. Excellent in wet weather, and beyond excellent on snow and ice. They typically last me around 80-85k miles with plenty of tread left when I ditch them for new ones. I've had my current ones one for 7 1/2 years, and they still have about half the tread or more left. They have saved me from my own distracted driving a few times, and from idiot drivers more times than I can remember. I simply cannot recommend these tires enough.

I will definitely second this^^. I've ran BFG All Terrains on my Tacoma's for years, and they have been phenomenal. Excellent in wet weather, and beyond excellent on snow and ice. They typically last me around 80-85k miles with plenty of tread left when I ditch them for new ones. I've had my current ones one for 7 1/2 years, and they still have about half the tread or more left. They have saved me from my own distracted driving a few times, and from idiot drivers more times than I can remember. I simply cannot recommend these tires enough.
Agree 100% however note that the challenge for us in AUS nowadays is the BFG's we get are the Thailand made ones and despite the tread pattern being the same and everything else the rubber compound is not the same as the USA made ones. Many are reporting less than half the mileage out of them and getting chipped more easily on gravel. heaps of chatter about this in the local industry as its a classic case of prices going up but quality south - hopefully BFG/Michelin USA listen as their losing alot in Aus to people opting for Chinese copies

Some retailers do still have the USA made ones in stock but they are a few years old.
I managed to get some off a friend late last year that were 5x285/75x16 USA made in 2021 with 10mm of tread remaining for free so couldnt pass them up. Ive done about 10k on them and they still look like new and im certain will last a good 5 years

Agree 100% however note that the challenge for us in AUS nowadays is the BFG's we get are the Thailand made ones and despite the tread pattern being the same and everything else the rubber compound is not the same as the USA made ones. Many are reporting less than half the mileage out of them and getting chipped more easily on gravel. heaps of chatter about this in the local industry as its a classic case of prices going up but quality south - hopefully BFG/Michelin USA listen as their losing alot in Aus to people opting for Chinese copies

Some retailers do still have the USA made ones in stock but they are a few years old.
I managed to get some off a friend late last year that were 5x285/75x16 USA made in 2021 with 10mm of tread remaining for free so couldnt pass them up. Ive done about 10k on them and they still look like new and im certain will last a good 5 years

Certainly hate to hear this, but can't feel too bad for you, since you Aussie's get all the cool Toyota Diesel's over there. 😉

Why did you dislike them?
They started out great when new, but as they got older they started to have problems with uneven tread wear on all 5 tires, Along with that issue, as they get older the rubber gets hard, and then they make LOTS of road noise as you drive down the highway, And before anyone asks, my alignment is fine, my shocks are new, none of my rims are bent, and yes i rotate my tires every 5 thousand miles,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom