Pics of the tires you have on your 80 please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks...I always search via google and let it lead me back to the Mud threads. I find it works better.
Original equipment. My third set.
Quiet on the highway, decent in rain or snow and each set lasted 50k miles.

IMG_2158.jpeg

IMG_2159.jpeg

Cooper ST's 255/85R16 SCS F5 16 x 8
20230309_112208.jpg

Cooper AT-3's purchased new in 2015 so they're now over 8 yrs old and have done at least 100 k km's. Not getting them again as they're wet weather handling is bad.

Here's my '97 on 285/75/16 Michellin LTX tires. This is the third set of "all terrain" style tires that I've run on this 80 and they are the tire and size that I anticipate sticking with indefinitely. If I drove in mud on a regular basis I'd go with a more aggressive tread but for my uses these tires are excellent the vast majority of the time and the locked 80 makes up for the gap in the few edge cases it sees.

20230530_143331.jpg

Here's my '97 on 285/75/16 Michellin LTX tires. This is the third set of "all terrain" style tires that I've run on this 80 and they are the tire and size that I anticipate sticking with indefinitely. If I drove in mud on a regular basis I'd go with a more aggressive tread but for my uses these tires are excellent the vast majority of the time and the locked 80 makes up for the gap in the few edge cases it sees.

View attachment 3375395
I was thinking of these before I decided on the 275/70/16s. The difference in speed rating and actual weight of the tires tilted me towards the OEM size 275s. I do lots of highway driving and figured Id get a slight mpg bump with the 275 size too, as well as a bit more stability with the smaller diameter.
The 285’s do look good though.

My last few sets of tires were 265/75/16 which are pretty close to what you went with and they did perform better for on-road driving. It's a subtle difference but the 33's do slow things down in some conditions, etc. as you know.

The smaller tires never looked quite right to me and the move to 33s was mostly superficial. After years with the smaller/better sized tires for my typical use I'm much happier with the 33s in large part because of how they look. The Michellins are also superior to the previous tires I ran but in the end I'm in the camp that at least in part picks tires by preferred appearance. The good thing is that thanks to ih8mud I can feel smug knowing how practical and small the 33s are compared to what most 80s run ;)

285's add more rolling diameter and weight and they're heavy to lift a 33 inch aka 285/75-r16 tyre/wheel combo if you're a 'normal person' like me. ;)

My last few sets of tires were 265/75/16 which are pretty close to what you went with and they did perform better for on-road driving. It's a subtle difference but the 33's do slow things down in some conditions, etc. as you know.

The smaller tires never looked quite right to me and the move to 33s was mostly superficial. After years with the smaller/better sized tires for my typical use I'm much happier with the 33s in large part because of how they look. The Michellins are also superior to the previous tires I ran but in the end I'm in the camp that at least in part picks tires by preferred appearance. The good thing is that thanks to ih8mud I can feel smug knowing how practical and small the 33s are compared to what most 80s run ;)
I run the 265's on my alloy rims which are on most of the time however have some 285's on the OEM steelies. I dont know if its a mind thing or not but I feel the transmission is better suited to the 285's in that it seems to be more in the torque range and the car drives better. The first time i tried them i noticed the difference on take off but honestly that wore off within a couple of days and now do not really notice it.

Once the 265's wear out I'll be going 285 permanently I think as its not a DDriver but will get a speedo correction gizmo as down here speed cameras are growing like weeds......

Tyres are a big purchase - and as it's something you keep for quite a while it needs to be the right choice. I got good km's from the Cooper AT-3's but their wet weather behaviour turns me away from getting them again.

Price-wise the good brands are in the range of $300 to $450 each per tyre (Aus dollars) and needing five of them makes it a straight up $2000 purchase.

Tyres are a big purchase - and as it's something you keep for quite a while it needs to be the right choice. I got good km's from the Cooper AT-3's but their wet weather behaviour turns me away from getting them again.

Price-wise the good brands are in the range of $300 to $450 each per tyre (Aus dollars) and needing five of them makes it a straight up $2000 purchase.
DX being part time without ABS only makes things worse in the rain. BFG KM2's were awesome until it rained, don't let boost hit in 2nd around a roundabout.

To be fair, you had the old Cooper AT3 - the new AT line has been redone & expanded, and seems to get better feedback. That said, I understand being apprehensive.

DX being part time without ABS only makes things worse in the rain. BFG KM2's were awesome until it rained, don't let boost hit in 2nd around a roundabout.
Shouldn't be needing ABS in reality if driving properly to conditions. But people on the roads like to push their limits and except gadgets to save their hide. I can't fathom having a full-time 4wd or awd vehicle for everyday driving.

Shouldn't be needing ABS in reality if driving properly to conditions. But people on the roads like to push their limits and except gadgets to save their hide. I can't fathom having a full-time 4wd or awd vehicle for everyday driving.
When I drive my '54 without seat belts I kinda wish it had a few gadgets to save my hide sometimes. At least when the fuel tank up front is empty it's kind of an air bag...

Shouldn't be needing ABS in reality if driving properly to conditions.
this assumes other people never do stupid shìt

But people on the roads like to push their limits and except gadgets to save their hide.
true

I can't fathom having a full-time 4wd or awd vehicle for everyday driving.
AWD / Full Time 4wd provides a lot of safety benefits.

There's a stupid lady in Sydney that made it home to see her kids after pulling out in front of me and 2 other lanes of high spped taffic in wet conditions.
She absolutely ****** up, and the look on her face said she knew she was going to meet Allah.

Without full time 4x4 in my 80 giving me the capability to steer around her, there is not a chance in hell she wasn't gonna be dead.
Scariest moment of my driving life, and I've done some stupid shìt.

No question AWD made a difference in this instance.
The lady pulled blindly in front off two trucks and stopped in my lane with a split second for me to react.
The two trucks had to swerve to the edge of the road to avoid her.
I panic braked.
Skidded. And was sliding straight at her driver door.
I got off the brake and steered
Front end slid.
Stepped on the throttle.
Steered into incoming traffic. Incoming traffic swerved to miss me.
Steered back into my lane.
My back bumper just ever so slightly clipped her front bumper as I came past

That's wild, well done for avoiding any serious damage or injury, serious reaction time and decision making there.

Out of interest and relevance to the thread, what tires?

AWD / Full Time 4wd provides a lot of safety benefits.

I used to have to lock hubs in the morning to reverse a few metres up the grass council strip onto the road after a good rain. Other than getting sideways on dirt, AWD>RWD in a 4x4.

Reactions: 2JG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom