H55F Transmission shifting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all first time on IH8MUD, I am nearing the end of my mechanical restoration of a 1985 FJ60. I got the old beast started yesterday for the first time and realized I was unable to shift into gear. I have replaced the original 4 speed with a H55F transmission, which in the process I replaced the clutch.

Here's is the run down. While the engine is running I am able to shift gears if my Transfer Case is in neutral, but when I put the transfer case in 4H, 2H or 4L I can not shift, but I can feel the car start to roll. Like the clutch is not disengaging. My fear is that I may have installed my clutch backwards and that is why I cant shift with my transfer case engaged. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should try before dropping the trans, it would be greatly appreciated.

If you remove the inspection plate on the bottom of the flywheel housing can you see the clutch fork working and the t/o bearing contacting the clutch and the fingers in the clutch move?

I have attached picture of the clutch both compressed and decompressed. It looks to be disengaging.

Also, when cranking in gear and transfer case engaged the cruiser what’s to roll.

90B9200E-101B-4479-9856-B2305E07889F.png

25C0EAFC-94AA-4C4D-A6D1-D47E9AC0AEA8.png

I was distracted by what appears to be a girl clubbing salmon in that last pic :lol: sorry I’m voting for clutch plate backwards. Done that once before.. I made a note so it wouldn’t happen again next time. I’m pretty sure this is the right way hopefully someone else can back me up.
64E05511-3703-4D7D-9730-5089B1A498AF.jpeg

With the truck not running the transmission shifter should go into each transmission gear with the truck off regardless of the clutch or the transfer case position. The input and output shafts on the transmission do not move when you move the gear shift. Will it do this?

If it only is unable to obtain a gear when its running unless you put the trans case in neutral ...then we can assume your clutch is staying engaged and your transmission input and outputs are turning. The t/c being in neutral is keeping the drive shafts dis engaged.

If you remove the inspection plate on the bottom of the flywheel housing can you see the clutch fork working and the t/o bearing contacting the clutch and the fingers in the clutch move?
Exactly. I just did my clutch and ran into this issue afterwords. The throw of the slave cylinder needed to be adjusted to correctly position the fork closer to the pressure plate.

Warning others to pay attention is a good effort, thanks.

edit to clarify:
the FSM is wrong so do not follow this: nipple must face to flywheel:

2_bd9f7d566716dfacfc4c46a03146729e.jpg

Other FSM seems better/correct:

2_44b0bd4293b90aeb97253058461b1892.jpg

Last edited:
Just to be clear this is the correct way to install the clutch, because the above picture is the exact one that I followed to install the first time. Which clearly shows the nipple pointing to the away from the flywheel

8D326FF7-9322-49BC-B620-CE9A8F5EBDCB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom