Builds 1983 Cruiser Story (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As most of these threads start, I've been looking for a 60 since December/January of this year, I called and emailed on a dozen and drove two. Most were priced (what I considered) too high and did not accept my offer, several just ended up being too far away and one got away...

I wanted to spend between 5 and 7K for a decent condition "driver". I had become a little discouraged in my hunt and had just decided I'd wait for the right truck to find me. Well, in the beginning of April it did. But not in the form I had planned.

I was home helping my Father move his shop, my uncle happened to be in town too. We worked all day crossed the bridge to our favorite restaurant that's become a bit of a tradition when we're all together. (If you ever find yourself in Huntington, WV, do yourself a favor and stop in at Jim's Spaghetti). Anyway, on the way back I decided to hop on the local Craigslist, and guess what... A Land Cruiser has been posted 8 hours prior, pretty much right in my back yard. Remember what I said about waiting on the right truck to find me? This was Saturday evening.

I messaged the owner and asked if he still had it, he did. I set up a time to check it out Sunday morning... So this truck was listed not running with Bill of Sale only (no title) and reasonably priced based on this.

I get there Sunday morning and this truck has been sitting for a few years but is in better shape (rust wise) then some I've already test driven. Yeah it's a little dinged up but a solid truck!

Here's how I found it:

G0KoknV.jpg

It was back in a "holler" in Northeast, KY that ended up being about 7 miles from my Father's shop! The owner was a very nice guy that had traded for the truck a few months prior, he wanted the axles for his Toyota Pickup mudder. It sat around awhile and he decided he was happy with what he had rather than doing all of the swap work so he decided to see if he could sell it.

I was headed back to Louisville that afternoon so I made an offer, you can only get $500 out of the ATM on Sundays. We went back and forth a bit and long story short I brought the truck back to my Father's shop that morning!

WRV7Uxj.jpg

qSYmspG.jpg

dz2gvU8.jpg

All the mud was from them dragging it back and forth trying to get the frozen passenger rear drum freed up... On the way back I stopped at the local pay and spray to wash the mud off and then sat it outside of Dad's shop until I could come back from Louisville and get it.

3qNOwfb.jpg

With the lack of title, my initial plan was to use this as a parts truck for the Land Cruiser I didn't even own yet... (You can imagine how that went over with my Fiance when I got home!)

After poking around and seeing it was in pretty good shape so I decided it would be worth doing some research and track down the last owner. It had not been licensed to drive on the street since 2005 and the guy I got it from gave me some information, too.

tWY5fnA.jpg

7HGDkvK.jpg

axwxu0k.jpg

bEet6Vo.jpg

This is how I left it at my Dad's and I started to plan when I could come back get it.

I hate to give you bad news... but it's missing the cigarette lighter. Hahaha.

Great story man. Congratulations! It looks like a great project cruiser. It's all there too. I can't wait to read the rest of your story brother.

I've got an 83 as well. A great year. No headlight washers, all chrome headlight surrounds. And a few quirks that make a five speed swap a little more interesting than usual.

Now go get the cruiser and bring it home man!!

It took a couple of weeks but I did track down the title and owner and it is now in my name! So, about that waiting for a truck to find me, it did. And about that finding a nice driver that was ready to go... Well, nope. But I love a good project!

This truck was not driven for several years and as a result has mud dobber nests all over it and was lived in by various creatures, mostly mice but I'm pretty sure I found raccoon or cat poop in it, something quite a bit bigger than a mouse and it smelled horrible inside. Once I got it to my house in Louisville the first order of business was addressing the smell, second was getting that awful purple 1990's tint off.
P0Qx2h1.jpg

ZTUfwl1.jpg

DujjaJU.jpg

N1vujiP.jpg

Other than the headliner and dash the interior is our and the truck is beginning to smell better!

I've deloused the carpets and seats, once the carpet dries out I am going to start putting it back in. Hopefully I'll get to that this week!

Congrats!
Good bones on that one!

The plan now is just getting the truck running/driving/stopping. After that it will be refined into something more usable and made (more) reliable.

In the running/driving/stopping I do plan to desmog the truck (already have Jim's kit), knock some dents out, and do some rust fixing/prevention on the underside. I've got all new brakes all around as well as soft lines, it's going to need a few hard lines as well, does anyone know of a source where you can buy these pre-bent or will I need to bend them myself?

I plan to update this thread often with photos and where I am. My goal is at least driving it around the neighborhood by the end of June!

Man... I love it when I don't have to wait long for updates. Keep them coming!

After lots of vacuuming, scrubbing, soaking, scrubbing, drying, vacuuming, etc. The interior is finally going back in! I couldn't stomach the price for new carpet and the seats are in decent shape so she's going back with all of the '83 vintage and wear. Just not as stinky.

I got a good 3 hours in after work yesterday with no distractions.

XfKdKTP.jpg

MC1w4rB.jpg

Finally all buttoned up just after dark!

nqpLuiq.jpg

BONUS: The new wheels/tires came yesterday!

PodmAzP.jpg

89hotRs.jpg

They'll just get to sit in the garage for now...

Need to get the gas tank dropped off to the shop that's going to restore it and spend some quality time with a cup brush and paint in its home. Hopefully this weekend!

Looking good, maybe I missed it but what size tire did you go with? Chrome rims for a newer look?

Thanks! Tire size is 235/75/15. I was going to have the wheels that are currently on the truck media blasted and powder coated but I found these great condition stockers for a good price so I picked them up instead. They have some flaws up close but are very nice!

I love a good Land Cruiser story.

Your work is noble......

Love the color!

Thanks for saving a great looking 60. Keep us posted on your progress and as stated earlier, great story.

you said you were going to have the tank restored...just checking to make sure you're aware those had a recall?

you said you were going to have the tank restored...just checking to make sure you're aware those had a recall?

Yep! Toyota is dragging their feet getting back to me. I do know it hasn't been done on this truck but they can't find the parts to do it.

Monday morning update after a productive weekend!

I found some significant rot in the rear bumper and bumper beam, understandable as I'm sure plenty of road grim gets stuck there and I understand it went a redesign in later models. Let me just take a minute and say that MOTHER %$&#ER that rear bumper was a PITA to remove... I ended up just grinding the carriage bolts off, I nic'ed the bumper with the rock wheel in two spots but it will be livable for now, the bumper is severely rotted anyway. (While we're at is, does anyone know the size and a source for chromed carriage bolts?)

Ug8lgss.jpg

I also mentioned I had gotten the tank out, I'm still waiting to hear back from Toyota on that recall. Above the tank actually looks pretty good!

YiqHCRH.jpg

So, yesterday in Kentucky was beautiful, perfect working temp in the 50's and 60's (Fahrenheit) so it was time to put long sleeves and pants on and get to work with the cup brush to knock off the loose rust and get a protective coating on it. A nasty but necessary job. My primary goal was to clean and inspect the leaf spring mounts making sure they were indeed solid.

A nasty job (I still have rusty boogers) but I'm very pleased with the outcome. My plan was to use POR-15 but between the price and lack of availability at my local supply house I decided to use Rust-Oleum Protective Enamel it's available to brush on and in spray can.

Onto the photos!

2NVST4k.jpg

XpX2FeD.jpg

ZkOLLT9.jpg

29a3sLu.jpg

9e5alRk.jpg

I also took the opportunity to install the new rear drums/shoes/wheel cylinders/hardware kits.

W6V6gdG.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom