Help with h55f refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm currently refurbishing a transfer case because of oil migration between the trans and xfer.

While I'm in there, I was wondering if I could replace any bearings on the h55f.

Is it possible to just pop the c-clip and replace the main input bearing? Or does it require being pressed on and off the shaft

And same goes for the bearing on the output shaft, can that be easily removed and replaced

Input bearing NSK #308N
Output bearing Koyo 6307

20240209_182012.jpg

20240209_131907.jpg

Pulling the front bearing is not for the faint of heart. It may look straightforward but it’s in there tighter than a ********. I had a transmission shop replace the front bearing in my 4 speed and they struggled with it - using all the correct tools and lots of experience.
Personally — I’d never work on a cruiser transmission unless I had a 2nd new one lined up to use anyway. It’s too easy to get in too deep and things to get FUBAR when you don’t really know what the hell you’re doing.

I’d leave your transmission alone and drive it into the ground. My 5 speed had 250,000 miles on it and it was still fine. Synchronizers felt a little worn, but other than that it seemed fine.

Appreciate the information. This trans is from a no history high mile truck. I would be more comfortable knowing the big bearings were replaced.
But if it is a sonofagun, then I'm not gonna try.
It just looked real simple on first inspection, 2 c-clips.
I would still like to do the output bearing. Seems easy enough to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom