H55 users: fill me in.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
I've been driving the cruiser for 6 months daily, racked up about 6000 miles on it and I've had no issues. I run it mostly on the highway, and I've had it cruise at 2700rpm for hours with no issue. It's refreshed on the top end so the rpm doesn't scare me.

It's currently undergeared with 33" tires and 3.70's running an h42. I've got no complaints about the power or acceleration, it is what it is. Runs at 70 with no issues and it is definitely a Middle and right lane cruiser. Granted, I live in a flat state and haven't gone off road yet.

I drove my 2.7 Tacoma on a trip out of state after letting it sit for a few months at my mechanics. It makes me realize how nice it is to drive a properly geared truck with 28" tires and 4.10's and still have overdrive. I did 80mph for a while and it felt good. I'd like to be able to do 70 in a more relaxed state with the old truck.

My question is, do you feel that the deeper first gear solved the undergeared first with the taller than stock tires? Could I do decently with 3.70 Gears, lockers and a 5 speed?

Or should I budget to find 4.11 gears, if and when I'm ready to do lockers?

I've got a 100k mile h42 that I purchased from a pristine local truck. I'd like to get in there eventually to rebuild the transfer case and fix my rear main seal leak, so it would be 50/50 between an lower mileage h42 or an h55. For what I'm doing now the rubber overdrive is fine, but I don't feel it has enough low end to be effective off road. Mind you, this will never have mud terrains so maybe that is a moot point.

Help me find some real world logic about this topic.

Last edited:
I believe my '88 is running 4:10's stock, and I think it's pretty effective with 32's. Not a high speed proposition, but I can cruise at 70-ish at around 2500rpm, higher speed quickly raises the rpm, but I definitely have the power to pass that I didn't have with the A440. First gear is pretty much tractor-like. I'm out of first gear crossing the crosswalk, but it's great for yanking the boat out of the water and up the ramp. Off road, I haven't done anything crazy, but there's lots of torque available at low speed and no worries about getting up and over a steep section.

I live in the mountains and to me 32"s and the stock gearing was too tall. I was in the process of rebuilding a set of 4.11's when my clutch went out, so I used that as an excuse to install an H55. I'm really happy with the lower 1st/overdrive and haven't gotten back to the 4.11's. I think 1st on the H55+3.7 is shorter than the H42+4.11. If I had to do just one, I'd do the H55.

@HemiAlex I'm running exactly what you describe. 33's. 3.7's. H55F. The first gear is great with the tires. I can bark them if I rev high and pop the clutch (I don't do that often). Wet pavement, it's a drift-missle. I'd like to go 4.11 just for ultimate acceleration (and a "corrected speedometer") but I'd miss the highway legs. At 60mph I'm right around 2,000 rpm.

HTH

I have 33s 4.11s 5 speed. 1st gear is way low. Great for off-road crawling, and carrying heavy loads, but a bit of a pain around town - you have to shift very fast off of stops. It was better with 31" tires. However, I built mine as a trail rig, not as a DD, so that's what I wanted.

If you intend yours to be a DD and 99% of its use will be on road, keep the H42; it's really a very under-rated transmission and will do everything you need it to. With the 5th gear, though, you will significantly reduce your top RPMs on the highway.

I think 3.7 with 33s and h55 is about perfect. I did the h42 with 3.7s and 31s- too tall. Right now the 4.10s and 31s with the h42 is a tad on the short side in take-off mode- just a bit, tho.

Another opinion. I'm running H55F + 4.11s + 33s in one FJ60 and I think it's the best combination. On road 1st gear is often needed to get going but not always, sometimes a 2nd gear start works. On the highway the 2F at 2500 the speed will be ca. 70 and I'm getting ca. 14 mpg running this speed. Off road 1st gear is nice.

A second FJ60 has a H42 + 4.11s + 33s and this combination also works well because this Cruiser seldom sees the highway. The H42 is smoother shifter than the H55F.

Question becomes, does a more relaxing cruiser at freeway speeds warrant the $2500 premium. For me it did. I have the same set up as @klinetime574 and lam very happy with it. As someone who has now driven both I can say that the H55f is better (no doubt). Mine, all in was a $3K proposition. I am not sure it is worth that to me looking back. Maybe I'm a romantic, but the 5spd just doesn't have that buttery smooth feel my 4spd had. Maybe it will in time.

If you decide to go the way of the 5, I will gladly take back my old h42.

After changing to the H55f with tires sized 285/75R16s and with the freeway driving, I like the change from the 4 speed. Not certain the low end 4.11 gears are warranted for my applications. Loving the highway cruzin..

Last edited:
Q Maybe I'm a romantic, but the 5spd just doesn't have that buttery smooth feel my 4spd had. Maybe it will in time.

H55F will never shift as smoothly as the H42. Just one of those differences.

I use the H55F more than the H42 and going between the two I sometimes forget the difference in placement of reverse :lol:

5speed is worth it if you plan to keep the truck for a long time...otherwise no. 4.11 gears are to me, a great match for 33 tires.

5speed is worth it if you plan to keep the truck for a long time...otherwise no. 4.11 gears are to me, a great match for 33 tires.

Exactly this. Most excellent street and off road manners with the above combo. And my 62 gets 16 mpg on the freeway with this combo.

I like the low first-it's great for teaching your friends how to drive a car with a clutch. It's odd actually. I work in a professional environment with lots of smart capable people, and 3 of them this year, have asked for driving lessons on a "stick shift". All were under 40. I guess it isn't a built in skill anymore. I tried to get them to call it a "manual transmission" but basically failed. One of them used his new found skill to buy an old 911, so I feel I did a good deed with my H55f.

I often hours on the highway driving to a trailhead and hated the gearing of the stock 4 speed. With 33's and 4.11's I'd be pushing 3000 rpm at 70 mph. Now with a 5 speed, 4.11's and 35's I'm turning 2300 rpm at 70 mph. 1st gear doesn't feel much different between H55 and 35's vs H42 & 33's.

Last edited:
Watching this carefully. I DD my 84 on short 31s and gas mileage and top end on the highway are taking some adjusting (previous DD was a BMW 535...).

H55 and 33's are on the wants list, but the price of an upgrade is making me take some time to think.

I forgot to mention, my 4 speed is getting very loud in 2-3. Lots of gear whine on decel.

I'd rather stop it before I have a failure in the middle of nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom