H55 trans surprise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just took apart a H55f and transfercase and I haven't seen or found that size pin . (Yet 😉)
Input shaft needles are 22 x 6 mm.
View attachment 3404153
That's a lot of parts there. I'll be into that myself hopefully next summer for a worn 1/3 synchro ring so it'll get a full overhaul. Hopefully my 50 ton press will be sufficient to do the job and I can easily source any special pullers I'll need. I wanted to do it last summer but budget didn't allow and I didn't fret because the synchro hasn't gotten any worse.

Last edited:
Maybe that little guy attached itself to the drain plug the last time an oil change was performed while it was out of the transmission housing? Maybe it was placed on the ground or a work bench and attracted that UFO (unidentified foreign object) unbeknownst to you and you missed it when you reinstalled the plug?

just a WAG, could it be 1 of the dowel pins for the shifter?

No wizzard but grind should not be happening at 4 years, how many towing ore in a mine miles? (rather kilometers) maybe it was rebuild and sold as new?
Under the shifter there is a white teflon bushing , maybe replace it , plenty of pictures and partnumber if you search (if it is old/worn or just replace for peace of mind)

I don't think the Japan factory would loose this, (I would)
So if youre lucky it was a (sligthly bad) rebuild and no worries.
You can spend a few hours searching trough covers with cheap inspection camera or take it apart or take a hyponotize session and make you forget you found it.

And a few wheeks ago I was rebuilding a Honda crf 150R and some one helpend me lift the head and one tiny 7.5 mm valve plate fell (explicit warning is in manual) and got lost and I spend hours searching , also in the engine and valve chain route.
Never found it, stille hope it is not in the engine (it runs great again, it cannot be in the engine, ...)
Hey always loved the red 60! That trans was bought new from Toyota ( or at least that’s what I paid for) from the shop that installed it.
No wizzard but grind should not be happening at 4 years, how many towing ore in a mine miles? (rather kilometers) maybe it was rebuild and sold as new?
Under the shifter there is a white teflon bushing , maybe replace it , plenty of pictures and partnumber if you search (if it is old/worn or just replace for peace of mind)

I don't think the Japan factory would loose this, (I would)
So if youre lucky it was a (sligthly bad) rebuild and no worries.
You can spend a few hours searching trough covers with cheap inspection camera or take it apart or take a hyponotize session and make you forget you found it.

And a few wheeks ago I was rebuilding a Honda crf 150R and some one helpend me lift the head and one tiny 7.5 mm valve plate fell (explicit warning is in manual) and got lost and I spend hours searching , also in the engine and valve chain route.
Never found it, stille hope it is not in the engine (it runs great again, it cannot be in the engine, ...)
always love a red 60! The trans was new from Toyota ( that’s what I paid for) an had a reputable shop install it along with the rebuilt transfer case, so they didnt have to even open it up rite?
I’ve put around 60k kilometers on it, no towing, mostly pavement

Thank you, freeborn red , still don't know Who invented that name for a color!

Maybe wrong new, modern, synthetic oil that is bad for the brass synchro mesh rings?
(read it some where, no idea if true, sounds a bit like crap but maybe to consider)
And the bushing should be fine but still sometimes bad schifting comes from bad bushing, very cheap item.

The blue part and teflon white:

this picture mentions gear shift roller a few times, maybe it is your nemisis part?

PIN, OR BALL, SHIFT INTER LOCK, NO.1;ROLLER, NO.1 (FOR SHIFT INTER LOCK ) Genuine Toyota (9036110037)

Maybe that little guy attached itself to the drain plug the last time an oil change was performed while it was out of the transmission housing? Maybe it was placed on the ground or a work bench and attracted that UFO (unidentified foreign object) unbeknownst to you and you missed it when you reinstalled the plug?
That would be nice and stranger things have happen, but doubt that part would of been under the sycamore where I change oil

Previous owner with a dark sense of humor.
Like welding up a buddy's roll cage with a ball bearing in an overhead tube
I'm not above doing something like that. But a piece of metal that looks like a needle bearing part on a transmission drain plug might be taking things a bit too far 😂

I'm not above doing something like that. But a piece of metal that looks like a needle bearing part on a transmission drain plug might be taking things a bit too far 😂
In the 80’s my dad chased down a rattle in a 1960’s mustang he was working on. Found a coke can full of nuts inside a body panel. Somebody welded the tub up and hid a surprise inside for the new owner. Apparently, that was a thing back in the day when employees became disgruntled.

In the 80’s my dad chased down a rattle in a 1960’s mustang he was working on. Found a coke can full of nuts inside a body panel. Somebody welded the tub up and hid a surprise inside for the new owner. Apparently, that was a thing back in the day when employees became disgruntled.
Now that's a good one!

Previous owner with a dark sense of humor.
Like welding up a buddy's roll cage with a ball bearing in an overhead tube
That confirms my noted suspicion, your foreign object is not a input shaft bearing.
Sounds like good news to me!

Thank you, freeborn red , still don't know Who invented that name for a color!

Maybe wrong new, modern, synthetic oil that is bad for the brass synchro mesh rings?
(read it some where, no idea if true, sounds a bit like crap but maybe to consider)
And the bushing should be fine but still sometimes bad schifting comes from bad bushing, very cheap item.

The blue part and teflon white:

this picture mentions gear shift roller a few times, maybe it is your nemisis part?

PIN, OR BALL, SHIFT INTER LOCK, NO.1;ROLLER, NO.1 (FOR SHIFT INTER LOCK ) Genuine Toyota (9036110037)
Yea looks a bit like 332264B

I zip tied a harmonica to a guys frt cross member once.. It was classic watching him pull over and look for the noise

I zip tied a harmonica to a guys frt cross member once.. It was classic watching him pull over and look for the noise
I’m lovin’ all the these shop pranks! Wish I had one to share- I do know a guy who was disgruntled when he got kicked out of an apartment, so before he left, he took apart the shower curtain, and shoved a raw shrimp deep into the metal rod, then put it back together, who knows how many times they clean the bathroom, trying to get rid of that smell....

Any news on the pin identity? Possibly a shaft pin?

Seven years ago I bought rebuilt FJ62 axles and installed on my 84 FJ60. Last year I'm driving along a slow two-lane after a wheeling session, and the rear differential popped & briefly locked up. Pulled the pumpkin cover and found two loose wheel bearing elements. But when I tore it down all the bearings were intact and in good shape. Figured that the rebuilder (an onlilne used Landcruiser parts place) destroyed a bearing but didn't recover all the parts. Took 6 years to rattle into and destroy the ring and pinion gears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom