H55 trans surprise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey
I was changing the oil in the 5 speed and found this stuck to the drain plug. Not too
Versed on the innards of it, but have a sinking feeling that that’s not good. The trans is only 4 years old. Still shifts ok, a little Grind at times going to third and reverse. Should I prepare for an epic failure
In my near future? Sucky part is I still haven’t paid this thing off yet and it’s spitting parts! Thanks gor looking

0CC3077E-6298-46C2-BD31-7933B0354DDA.jpeg

E2F07010-F260-49F9-8B8C-817BB45B8D31.jpeg

That looks like part of a needle bearing.. hopefully a h55 wizard will chime in and see where they are located..

Not a wizard , but if one of your bearings is disintegrating I would fear more needles falling out and the bearing to fail completely and then yes complete fail. Hope /pray, someone just didn't clean out the case when changing bearings, which is unlikely unfortunately. That needle should not be present.
Was the oil filthy?

Not a wizard , but if one of your bearings is disintegrating I would fear more needles falling out and the bearing to fail completely and then yes complete fail. Hope /pray, someone just didn't clean out the case when changing bearings, which is unlikely unfortunately. That needle should not be present.
Was the oil filthy?
the oil wasnt dreadful. That trans was installed brand spanking new 4 years ago with a rebuilt x-case, so no bearing change. Seems premature to say the least.

Yikes!!!

That looks exactly like a input shaft bearing (there are 17 of them). I've got some loose on my workbench at home, I'd be happy to measure to compare.

1692231284254.png

I'm wracking my brain how that could event come out internally like that.

It could also be a roller within one of the other bearings but I think they have more squared off edges?

EDIT: On second look, I think your foreign object is shorter/stubbier than the input bearings (90361-06049) though I'm still happy to measure.

1692231466156.png

Was the oil filthy?
oh an thanks for the needed prayer !

Yikes!!!

That looks exactly like a input shaft bearing (there are 17 of them). I've got some loose on my workbench at home, I'd be happy to measure to compare.

View attachment 3403004

It could also be a roller within one of the other bearings but I think they have more squared off edges?

EDIT: On second look, I think your foreign object is shorter/stubbier than the input bearings (90361-06049) though I'm still happy to measure.

View attachment 3403009
crap Im sitting in a hotel without the part in front of me, my apolagies, Im sure you got an idea from it sitting on the drain plug- and its shaped like a tic tac but longer.
definately looks like your bottom pic. Yea i wish i could say April fools just funnin ya! but there it was, bigger than hell

May be worth taking the lid off the gear box and have a look before driving too much more.
crap Im sitting in a hotel without the part in front of me, my apolagies, Im sure you got an idea from it sitting on the drain plug- and its shaped like a tic tac but longer.
definately looks like your bottom pic. Yea i wish i could say April fools just funnin ya! but there it was, bigger than hell
Yikes!!!

View attachment 3403004

View attachment 3403009
Thanks so much man! I will get a caliper measurement of this when i get back home!

May be worth taking the lid off the gear box and have a look before driving too much more.
sounds like solid advice, unfortunately i still gotta make it through the week in city traffic, then drive home 65 miles. Gotta love it!

Yikes!!!

View attachment 3403004

View attachment 3403009
So what is that you circled. All in all that's crazy I wouldn't drive it at all until it's fixed @snaps

So what is that you circled. All in all that's crazy I wouldn't drive it at all until it's fixed @snaps

I circled the input bearings in both pics. I do think it's a bearing roller, but I think it's shorter than the input ones.

Any chance it's magnetic?

There is no way ( that I know of ) for that bearing to come out with it assembled. Unless the tranny was busted up on the inside. It would have alot more problems than just a grind in 3rd gear. I would pop the top and take a peek. I am betting it was dropped in at the factory . Its not chewed up enough . Warning I'm no wizard .

There is no way ( that I know of ) for that bearing to come out with it assembled. Unless the tranny was busted up on the inside. It would have alot more problems than just a grind in 3rd gear. I would pop the top and take a peek. I am betting it was dropped in at the factory . Its not chewed up enough . Warning I'm no wizard .

Agreed. Or that drain plug was swapped? Or it's a magnet?

Doesn't appear to be a magnet from the picture all the small shavings are stuck to the drain plug magnet. I'm no magician I can make beer disappear tho

Your right. Total stumper.

Yikes!!!

View attachment 3403004

View attachment 3403009
Didnt have a caliper handy, but here’s a tape measure on it. Not a magnet

CF3EF3AB-7484-4DCE-869D-647F9EB9C25C.jpeg

No wizzard but grind should not be happening at 4 years, how many towing ore in a mine miles? (rather kilometers) maybe it was rebuild and sold as new?
Under the shifter there is a white teflon bushing , maybe replace it , plenty of pictures and partnumber if you search (if it is old/worn or just replace for peace of mind)

I don't think the Japan factory would loose this, (I would)
So if youre lucky it was a (sligthly bad) rebuild and no worries.
You can spend a few hours searching trough covers with cheap inspection camera or take it apart or take a hyponotize session and make you forget you found it.

And a few wheeks ago I was rebuilding a Honda crf 150R and some one helpend me lift the head and one tiny 7.5 mm valve plate fell (explicit warning is in manual) and got lost and I spend hours searching , also in the engine and valve chain route.
Never found it, stille hope it is not in the engine (it runs great again, it cannot be in the engine, ...)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom