H151 Swap Information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is nice to be close to completion, can't wait to drive this thing!

After taking a long time going over pros and cons, ability to source tranny and parts, and supportability in the long run, I finally got my hands on the gearbox itself in late February, so that's when I went all in on this project. I've only been able to work on it two nights a week and every other weekend so seems to be dragging out a bit. Took some time also to see what parts I could salvage and what had to be ordered new, but I received excellent help and all required parts from Akella, who is mentioned by others on this forum. As far as obstacles go, it has been suprisingly straightforward, I'm actually suprised more have not done this conversion. Some tough sections were moving the crossmember mounts forward, but the holes are already in the frame, old crossmember is already drilled to fit this new location once spacers are removed, and if you have equipment/experience cutting and welding then this task is not bad at all. Moving some electrical under the dash to fit the clutch pedal bucket takes some patience! As far as wiring, once I get these reverse lights hooked up, no other real issues. Looped the NSS at the plug with old harness and she starts right up, no other lights. I guess having an early model FZJ80 also helps being OBD I and all. Routing the clutch hydraulic lines was easier than I expected, advise using the factory hardlines that you can order from Akella to simplify this task. I utilized the old brake pedal, just cut it down to fit the non-US manual brake pad (same size as clutch pedal) to look factory. Working on the finishing toughes so if I run into anything else I'll post it up.

Dana, sounds like you may have to dive into this as well (oh darn, right?).

Only one item to work out, ABS light illuminated. Any other conversion guys come across this?

Reverse switch issue worked out, once cleaned thoroughly resistance down to 1 ohm. Looped manual transmission reverse switch through AT harness connector pins and now have reverse lights as well as R on the dash when shifter in reverse gear. Vehicle drives nice, smooth shifting clutch and gearbox. Still have ABS light illuminated, not sure what is signaling this light to come on. No ideas from the conversion crews?

A couple guys asked specifics on reverse light rigging. Here are a couple of pictures that may help. I used harness off my crapped out auto tranny, looped pins 2 (12v hot) and 8 (reverse light circuit) on plug pictured. The ends I'm holding plug into truck (behind starter) just as they did when they were connected to the auto. The other end was attached to auto tranny neutral safety switch/gear selector. I capped off all the other wires after I spliced the two mentioned above directly to the reverse switch. Other small round plug is the neutral safety plug, as you may recognize from other posts. I simply looped those wires as well, don't ever use cruise control so no switch.
Reverse Switch 2.JPG

Couple of photos of the completed interior.

Interior.JPG

Interior 2.JPG

Yes! And I've gotta say I'm loving it so far. Lots more shifting than I'm used to in my 40, going from 3 speeds to five. Clutch is very smooth and with the pedal assist, makes it much cushier than other manuals I've used. It seems to accelerate faster without running that huge hydraulic pump I took out, but overall slower because you have to shift gears. I love having it manual, and with parts easy to get from Akella or Japan 4x4, overhaul manuals provided by other members on these forums, I feel I can tackle problems much easier than with the auto. I will try to take note of mileage as I drive more on longer trips.

I'm VERY happy to hear you like the transmission... I am in the process of assembling the parts for a 2UZ/H151 swap into a 45LV... I was going to go for a 1FZ with H151 but a relatively low mileage (60k) H151 for a 2UZ became available!

Hello. Did you find the answer to the ABS light on? I mated the 1FZ with H151 and am just finishing what some consider a big project (you can check it out here at Ultimatecrusiers FZJ40). My ABS light is on and I'm thinking it's related to the center diff lock switch, ie thinks the center diff is locked which turns off ABS thus the constant ABS light, at least that's what I can find in the manual and I'm not getting any codes from the diagnostic.

Hello 80 section!

About to start a H151 swap in a 40th anniversary FZJ80. I just had the FZJ80 flywheel resurfaced by a local shop and it's flat now. I'm nervous that there should be a step in the flywheel.

Has anyone has one of these flywheels resurfaced before, and if so, was there supposed to be a step? If there is, do we know how much of a step there's supposed to be?

This is what the flywheel looks like now.

20150520_133138.jpg

Comparing to @Tapage, I can't tell if it's supposed to have a step or not:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/marilu-upgrades-ver-2009.284595/

main.php

I can look at the clutch plate I have from the H151 I sourced (from a 100 series) later today...

Oh man yes please. Thank you.

If there is a step, please measure the height of the step from the rest of the flywheel as well as the width of said step. Looking for dimensions I can use to give to the machine shop to re-machine the flywheel (if needed).

Thanks brother.

if you look closer in that pic you post Johnny, you will see there is a step .. it varies according to the clutch combo you use .. 275mm vs 300mm

Thanks Mark, although I was hoping for something more precise than that. It appears that you have a 300mm clutch, whereas I have a 275mm clutch.

Does anyone have a 275mm flywheel that we can measure up?

EDIT: Realizing that I have the dimensions of the step from the friction disk I have. What I need is the height of the step, measured in thousandths.

Last edited:
SORR-REEEE if I wasn't PRECISE enough for you. ;) I thought the initial question was "Is there a step?"

Yes, I think mine is 300mm and I really don't have a reliable way to measure the step - especially given the rust. But mine might not be a good reference for you anyway.

To wrap the flywheel discussion up, I had it machined with a .020" step, which is the FJ60 specification. I could not find the step height listed for the FZJ80 anywhere:

20150614_130336.jpg

Next question if you gentlemen and ladies wouldn't mind. It's clear that the tunnel will have to be modified, but how much? In this pic the transmission is about 1" from being able to be bolted up to the motor. Does this sharpie line look to be about where y'all have cut the tunnel in the past? I'm having trouble finding pictures of the completed tunnel modification and don't want to cut too much:

20150614_150920.jpg

20150614_162024.jpg

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom