Builds Getting 81' 40 running again after 9 years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. Long time reader, not much of a poster. Wanted to say hello and thanks to all who contribute here.

My 40 was abruptly parked about 9 years ago and I'm excited to work through some much needed maintenance along with my 8 year old son who is very eager to ride in it.

My plan is to post some pics of the fuel system as it was at least partially desmogged prior to my purchase back in 02 and it seems to fit in between some of the desmog guides I've read here. I did drive it in this configuration for about 7 years. I welcome your thoughts and feedback.

I do plan on picking up a new aftermarket carb but first I need to drain and flush the fuel tank and replace the fuel lines. I've taken a few pics of the fuel tank lines. Here is a few pics of how it sits today.
20200113_205710.jpg

20200113_205705.jpg
20200113_205649.jpg
20191220_144424.jpg

My original FJ55 sat for 10 years, shipped the carb to Jim C.

Never had an issue after that.

Jmylie- You made a good move for sure.
Given that I promised my son that we'd be riding around befor the weather gets hot, I just pulled the trigger on a new carb from City Racer along with some vacuum line.

Now to drain and clean the tank. While on the subject, does any on have an actual picture of a 79-84 gas tank with lines attached. I need the top view. The parts diagrams are so exploded I can't follow it. Thanks

Got new City Racer carb bolted up. What are you guys using for the center stud for the air cleaner mount? Mine probably wasn't original considering the PO had a rigged up filter, but the stud I have is just a bit too large or wrong thread.
20200202_191756.jpg

Needed new valve cover vent hose (to air cleaner) so found a very close match in the Dayco line. A little trimming should have it.
20200218_091053.jpg

Here is a picture of my tank lines. You can see one has been replaced with brake line and this is running all the way to an electric fuel pump mounted on the passenger fender then through a factory mechanical pump. What's odd is to me is the factory line (supply line) that was left open near the tank has been connected from the front frame area to this hard line on the firewall and then onto a port on the Aisan carb essentially doing nothing more than venting the carb????
20200218_122205.jpg

15820492940993558365303774375654.jpg

Screenshot_20200218-122907_Gallery.jpg

It ran fine this way for years, but I'm trying to return this thing to a more "original like" state and since all of the rubber fuel line sections are getting replaced, I'd like to reconnect the factory supply line (providing it's still usable) and eliminate the electric pump.

The City Racer Carb has no provision for this line so am I ok just running a supply line?

Also, does running an electric pump in front of a mechanical pump ruin the mechanical pump?

Thanks in advance!

No charcoal. Was desmogged when I got it. I knew I dont need the electric, but want to make sure I won't damage the new mechanical pump if I temporarily kept the electric.

You'd still want the charcoal canister set up even with a desmog. Really cuts down the raw fuel smell when driving. Its simple to hook up, and a generic canister can be had for $40.

Not sure why you'd run both a mechanincal and electric at the same time with a carb? Run one or the other. With an electric pump, you'll need a fuel pressure regulator.
If you have a good mechanical pump, all you need is a line from the tank to the pump and then to the carb.

Most hack in an electric pump when the stock mechanical one goes bad, even though its easier to just replace the mechanical pump.

Thanks so much! I'm removing the electric pump now.

So I'll be running an oem air cleaner for the first time. I am going to connect the valve cover vent but should I just cap all this small ports. Would any of them be appropriate to use as a charcoal canister vacuum source?
20200218_172819.jpg

Well I need/want to properly vent the distributor so I'll dig more into that.

Speaking of the distributor... while I have the cap off for replacement, is there a way to test the movement of the advance arm? Should I be able to move it freely by hand? Is there anything to lube or maintenance while I have it open?

Can someone tell me what fuse this is? Its located about 12 inches from the firewall on passenger side. Was originally in a white fuse holder that crumbled in my hand.
20200222_121107.jpg

I had a ‘76, but my son in law had an ‘85 FJ60, so I am familiar with later cruisers too.
Just from reading the schematic, it looks like the fuse for the engine cooling fan.

Have you started it yet? 9 years isnt that long id get some clean fuel in there and use the electric pump to cycle some fuel through. Unhook the feed at the card and flush into a catch can. That baby should fire right up if the started still spins fine. Enjoy!!!

Thanks for your replies.

As for starting it up... no not yet. I have manually turned the engine over, drained the fuel tank, installed cityracer carb, replaced all rubber fuel segments between tank and carb including fuel pump and have primed the fuel line with fresh fuel. Also replacing Saginaw pump (was leaking when parked), replaced all coolant hoses, new valve cover gasket.

Still need to rebuild front knuckles, sort brakes, sort non-working headlightsbuild seat mount brackets for Bestop Trailmax Pro II front seats, finalize my distributor vent set-up and install e-brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom